Old 12-13-2007, 03:16 PM
"dondi_2006"

Default Are nVidia closed source drivers still needed for 2 years old chipset?

Hello,

I have to install FC 8 on a computer with a nForce430/
GeForce6150 chipset.

I have printed out the instructions to install the nVidia drivers but then I thought "maybe two years of
reverse engineering were enough to make the
open source drivers suport 100% that chipset.

Is this the case? Are the closed source drivers available today from http://www.nvidia.com/object/unix.html still needed to
use under fedora all the capabilities of a 2+ year old
chipset?

Or is the current version of the nv driver enough?

Basically, do I still need today the closed source
drivers to get all those chips are capable of?

Thanks,
D.

Old 12-13-2007, 06:03 PM
Craig White

On Thu, 2007-12-13 at 17:16 +0100, dondi_2006 wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I have to install FC 8 on a computer with a nForce430/
> GeForce6150 chipset.
>
> I have printed out the instructions to install the nVidia drivers but then I thought "maybe two years of
> reverse engineering were enough to make the
> open source drivers suport 100% that chipset.
>
> Is this the case? Are the closed source drivers available today from http://www.nvidia.com/object/unix.html still needed to
> use under fedora all the capabilities of a 2+ year old
> chipset?
>
> Or is the current version of the nv driver enough?
>
> Basically, do I still need today the closed source
> drivers to get all those chips are capable of?
----
yes, to get all the video cards are capable of, you have to use the
closed source driver for nvidia and ati cards.

Intel video is completely integrated into xorg software

as for suitability, every user will come to a different conclusion on
their specific hardware...

Administration => Display

click the 'Hardware' Tab
click the 'Video Card' button

nv is xorg's open source driver, note, no 3d, no acceleration
nvidia is nVidia's closed source driver

armed with this information, you should be able to switch back and forth
but you have to have root password to run the 'Administration=>Display'
and you have to log out/on to see the changes (if not reboot)

Craig

Old 12-13-2007, 06:27 PM
Brian Gaynor

On Thu, 2007-12-13 at 17:16 +0100, dondi_2006 wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I have to install FC 8 on a computer with a nForce430/
> GeForce6150 chipset.
>
> I have printed out the instructions to install the nVidia drivers but then I thought "maybe two years of
> reverse engineering were enough to make the
> open source drivers suport 100% that chipset.
>
> Is this the case? Are the closed source drivers available today from http://www.nvidia.com/object/unix.html still needed to
> use under fedora all the capabilities of a 2+ year old
> chipset?
>
> Or is the current version of the nv driver enough?
>
> Basically, do I still need today the closed source
> drivers to get all those chips are capable of?

If you choose to go with the proprietary nVidia driver I suggest you
strongly consider the DKMS packaged one from FreshRPMs. The nice thing
with DKMS is that whenever the kernel changes the nVidia "glue" kernel
module will automatically be rebuilt on the next boot. If you use the
nVidia supplied package will have to be manually re-install it any time
the kernel changes.

- Brian

Old 12-13-2007, 09:06 PM
"Dean S. Messing"

Brian Gaynor wrote:
<snip>
: If you choose to go with the proprietary nVidia driver I suggest you
: strongly consider the DKMS packaged one from FreshRPMs. The nice thing
: with DKMS is that whenever the kernel changes the nVidia "glue" kernel
: module will automatically be rebuilt on the next boot. If you use the
: nVidia supplied package will have to be manually re-install it any
: time the kernel changes.

The option I've used is to go with the livna nVidia package. It seems
to follow closely on the heels of a new fedora kernel offering. So
when I update, the nVidia package comes onto my system too. It all
"just works" (so far).

I admit that the DKMS machinery is very nice, and more elegant than
what I do. I discovered it when I used to use Mandriva.

Dean

Old 12-14-2007, 03:26 AM
Tim

On Fri, 2007-12-14 at 01:57 +0000, Amadeus W.M. wrote:
> I couldn't get TwinView to work with the nvidia driver either. I do
> get to display, on my hdtv, but I can't clone the laptop monitor. I
> get a desktop stretching over both displays, half on the laptop, half
> on the tv.

I managed to get all the possible variations on multi-screen working on
my laptop. I did my tweaking through the NVidia GUI control thingo.

--
[tim@bigblack ~]$ uname -ipr
2.6.23.1-10.fc7 i686 i386

Using FC 4, 5, 6 & 7, plus CentOS 5. Today, it's FC7.

I read messages from the public lists.

Old 12-14-2007, 03:22 PM
James Kaufman

On Thu, Dec 13, 2007 at 07:16:49PM -0800, Dean S. Messing wrote:

> Amadeus W.M. wrote:
> I don't mess with GUI's much so if you are uncomforatble editing your
> xorg.conf, just disregard the following.
>
> Following is what I cobbled together for my laptop for doing just what
> you want. (Normally one wants a clone, not an extension of one's
> desktop when one is using a projector.)
>
> I don't pretend to be an X config expert but the following does
> work (for me). More comments after the code.
>
> Dean

Excellent writeup. Thanks.

--
Jim Kaufman