Old 12-13-2007, 12:20 PM
Jan Brosius

Default fedora and notebooks?

Hello, I plan to buy a notebook. This is my first notebook. Besides
Windows I'd like to install also fedora 8.
Can anyone tell me if fedora recognizes the touchpad of the notebook. If
so does fedora also recognise an additional USB mouse?

Any help appreciated
Jan

Old 12-13-2007, 12:22 PM
"Robert P. J. Day"

On Thu, 13 Dec 2007, Jan Brosius wrote:

> Hello, I plan to buy a notebook. This is my first notebook. Besides
> Windows I'd like to install also fedora 8. Can anyone tell me if
> fedora recognizes the touchpad of the notebook. If so does fedora
> also recognise an additional USB mouse?

you'd really need to be more specific to get a more specific answer.
but, on a more general note, it would be absolutely astonishing if any
established linux distribution didn't have support for something as
basic as the touchpad, or an additional USB mouse.

you might have issues with, say, wireless support based on the chip,
but anything as fundamental as what you're asking about should be
fairly safe, i would think.

rday

Robert P. J. Day
Waterloo, Ontario, CANADA

http://crashcourse.ca

Old 12-13-2007, 02:23 PM
Tim

On Thu, 2007-12-13 at 14:20 +0100, Jan Brosius wrote:
> Can anyone tell me if fedora recognizes the touchpad of the notebook.

Yes, it can. I don't know if all touchpads are supported, but my Asus
PRO31J F3JC laptop's certainly is. The Lenovo laptops are said to be
quite compatible. Perhaps you might want to tell the list what you're
considering buying, and see if someone's already tried that model.

> If so does fedora also recognise an additional USB mouse?

Yes, it does. And both work at the same time.

The only things not working on my laptop, that I can think of, are the
in-built USB webcam, and the multimedia keys.

I have no need for the webcam, and it's incredibly crap quality (tried
it out with Windows), and it's aimed in the wrong direction (too high,
for the angle you need to put the screen at to read it properly).

I have configured other multimedia keys to work on my desktop PC, then
never actually bothered to use them. So not being able to configure
these has been no great loss.

important to the thread.)

I read messages from the public lists.

Old 12-13-2007, 04:12 PM
"Lamar Owen"

On Thursday 13 December 2007, Jan Brosius wrote:
> Can anyone tell me if fedora recognizes the touchpad of the notebook. If
> so does fedora also recognise an additional USB mouse?

I am using a Dell Inspiron 640m right now, and both the touchpad and the
USB-connected Logitech trackball work great. The touchpad is too sensitive
when I touch type too vigorously (I learned touch typing on an old
Remington-Ran manual typewriter), but otherwise is works perfectly.
--
Lamar Owen
Chief Information Officer

Old 12-13-2007, 05:59 PM
Rick Stevens

On Thu, 2007-12-13 at 14:20 +0100, Jan Brosius wrote:
> Hello, I plan to buy a notebook. This is my first notebook. Besides
> Windows I'd like to install also fedora 8.
> Can anyone tell me if fedora recognizes the touchpad of the notebook. If
> so does fedora also recognise an additional USB mouse?

I'm on an HP dv6565us right now. Everything works except the modem.
AGPGART under Xen doesn't work either. Note that the webcam requires
the v4l2 driver and the sound card requires Alsa 1.0.15. The touchpad
works as does a USB mouse (they work together...use either or both).

You probably will want to run syndaemon and desensitize the "touch to
click" bit of the touchpad. Without it, hitting the spacebar and
touching the pad with the heel of your hand will send the pointer
flying!

Old 12-13-2007, 06:19 PM
Terry Polzin

On Thursday 13 December 2007 08:20:52 Jan Brosius wrote:
> Hello, I plan to buy a notebook. This is my first notebook. Besides
> Windows I'd like to install also fedora 8.
> Can anyone tell me if fedora recognizes the touchpad of the notebook. If
> so does fedora also recognise an additional USB mouse?
>
> Any help appreciated
> Jan

I guess I'll weigh in here too.

Generally speaking, there's been touchpad support for as long as I can
remember back to the RH7,8,9 days and prior. USB mouse is there also and both
do work at the same time. As others have suggested, you may want to tweak
the pad a bit. I've also had no problems with a wireless USB mouse.

As others have also mentioned wireless, modems, sound and misc. keyboard
functions will all be ruled by support of their chipsets.

As always, YMMV

Old 12-13-2007, 06:32 PM
Karl Larsen

Terry Polzin wrote:

Hello, I plan to buy a notebook. This is my first notebook. Besides
Windows I'd like to install also fedora 8.
Can anyone tell me if fedora recognizes the touchpad of the notebook. If
so does fedora also recognise an additional USB mouse?

Any help appreciated
Jan

I guess I'll weigh in here too.

Generally speaking, there's been touchpad support for as long as I can
remember back to the RH7,8,9 days and prior. USB mouse is there also and both
do work at the same time. As others have suggested, you may want to tweak
the pad a bit. I've also had no problems with a wireless USB mouse.

As others have also mentioned wireless, modems, sound and misc. keyboard
functions will all be ruled by support of their chipsets.

As always, YMMV

My older Sony laptop with madwifi for wifi internet has F7 on it and
it works fine with the built-in Touchpad or a mouse and keyboard that
are both USB devices. It does very well and is as good or better than
Windows XP.

Karl

--

Karl F. Larsen, AKA K5DI
Linux User

Old 12-13-2007, 06:44 PM
"Arch Willingham"

I run FC8 (previously ran FC7) on five different laptops. Two are older HP5340s POS, two are Dells with model numbers I can't remember, and one is a Dell Precision M50. Everything I have tried functions on all of them (the last Dell I listed even works wirelessly with its built in Wifi without loading anything extra).

I have never tried the modem on any of them.

Arch

Old 12-13-2007, 08:33 PM
"Dean S. Messing"