Old 12-13-2007, 10:52 AM
David Jansen

Default problem with kickstart install and static ip address

What I want to do (and have done since redhat 8 or 9), is to make a
kickstart file on a system, put a lot of the current configuration in
it, including the ip address if the machine has a static ip address, and
reinstall fedora using that kickstart file (eg, go from Fedora 7 to
fedora 8 with a full new install, but keeping a couple of items in the
configuration).

So I have a script that constructs a kickstart file which will include a
line like this:
network --device eth0 --bootproto static --ip 132.229.221.50 --netmask
255.255.255.0 --gateway 132.229.224.1 --nameserver 132.229.214.102 --hostname
eendracht.strw.leidenuniv.nl

However, when booting, anaconda shows a screen that it goes looking for
an ip address through dhcp.
Is this a "feature"? I.e., has RedHat / Fedora decided to drop support
for static ip addresses in kickstart files?

David Jansen

PS: I found in bugzilla issues #374271 , #392021 and maybe others that
this bug bites others besides myself. However, I have not yet found
updates or workarounds. So, how to proceed? Setting up dhcp servers on
every subnet, just in order to have the installer work sounds like an
awfull waste of time and effort.