-   -   Migration Of All Users In LDAP Server In LINUX Fedora! (http://www.linux-archive.org/fedora-user/1850-migration-all-users-ldap-server-linux-fedora.html)

Jyotishmaan Ray 11-21-2007 03:40 AM

Migration Of All Users In LDAP Server In LINUX Fedora!

*
Dear All Openldap USERS on Fedora-Linux,This is Jyotishmaan Ray, from Silchar, India.I
have been working on migration of users from fedora-linux server to
LDAP server. Of late after i have migrated the all users, as per the
adminitration guide of openldap sofware, i realised that i have done
something wrong, because of which the authentication is not
successfully happening.Now please those openldap experts who are on
linux-fedora platform please kindly pay attention to my questions:-1) Is it necessary to execute the following steps :-Now you are ready to migrate the data (actually it works even without the export command):

export ETC_SHADOW=/etc/shadow

./migrate_base.pl > /tmp/base.ldif

./migrate_group.pl /etc/group /tmp/group.ldif

./migrate_hosts.pl /etc/hosts /tmp/hosts.ldif

./migrate_passwd.pl /etc/passwd /tmp/passwd.ldif

Now we have the data in the format understood by LDAP server. Please
open one the files with text editor to get used to the syntax. After
that we can add the data from ldifs.

ldapadd -D "cn=Manager,dc=domain,dc=com" -W -f /tmp/base.ldif

ldapadd -D "cn=Manager,dc=domain,dc=com" -W -f /tmp/group.ldif

ldapadd -D "cn=Manager,dc=domain,dc=com" -W -f /tmp/passwd.ldif

ldapadd -D "cn=Manager,dc=domain,dc=com" -W -f /tmp/hosts.ldif

However, i have not performed all the above steps except for the addition of users!!

As
of now, when i finger the users, it shows fine. But when i try to log
ion to the server machine using ssh localhost.localdomain. -l xyx,
it asks me the password twice one trial after another and susequently throwing the message:-

[root@authdns bin]# ssh authdns.nits.ac.in -l jmaan
jmaan@authdns.nits.ac.in's password:
Permission denied, please try again.
jmaan@authdns.nits.ac.in's password:
Permission denied, please try again.
jmaan@authdns.nits.ac.in's password:

Permission denied (publickey,gssapi-with-mic,password).

[root@authdns bin]#

After seaching on the google.co.in, i have changed the default permission of the /dev/tty (666) to 777.

Still
it is not successfully working with ssh. I just wanted to make it sure
that i could log in with user locally, to my server. However, the
/etc/passwd file does not shows the passwd field of the users as 'x'
but rather as '*'.

To check this i have tried using the command,

getent passwd|grep user

it worked fine.

Please
tell me it is because i have not performed the first few steps of
ldapadd of base.ldif, hosts.ldif, group.ldif to the ldap server that,
its not working.

I have also worked with the command:-

pwconv

to generate the new shadow file from* the /etc/passwd file.

Please help!!With Thanks and Regards,
Jyotishmaan Ray Moderator Of Paradise Groups http://yahoogroups.com/group/Spirituality-Paradise*Are
You Spiritually Aware* !!! Are You Enjoying Yourself* !!!* See What All You Had Been Missing !!!!
Please Join Immediately By Sending A Blank Mail @*
Spirituality-Paradise-subscribe@yahoogroups.com
***

with Yahoo Mobile. Try it now.--
fedora-list mailing list
fedora-list@redhat.com

Warren Sturm 11-21-2007 04:26 AM

Migration Of All Users In LDAP Server In LINUX Fedora!

One other command you may need to look at is authconfig...which will
help set up all the config files necessary to authenticate using ldap
and other methods

authconfig --help

and man authconfig for assistance