Old 12-12-2007, 10:35 PM
jack wallen

Default Red Hat News - it's probably Classmate

Karl Larsen wrote:

John Wendel wrote:

Craig White wrote:

On Wed, 2007-12-12 at 14:54 -0800, John Wendel wrote:

Interesting, I wonder which utilities they're talking about?

"Red Hat officials said they were postponing the release once again
to give the company time to resolve issues with rights to distribute
music and video-playing utilities with its operating system."

----
link?

Craig

Sorry (lazy me)

http://www.reuters.com/article/businessNews/idUSN1149866820071211?sp=true

Regards,

John

What version were they to offer? It's not a Fedora issue is it? F9 I
thought would be later.

Karl

i think they are talking about this:

http://www.olpcnews.com/software/operating_system/red_hat_intel_classmate_pc.html

it's basically competition for OLPC.

--
jack wallen, jr. www.monkeypantz.net
"To know recursion, you must first know recursion"

Old 12-12-2007, 11:58 PM
Craig White

On Wed, 2007-12-12 at 18:35 -0500, jack wallen wrote:
> Karl Larsen wrote:
> > John Wendel wrote:

> >> Sorry (lazy me)
> >>

> >> http://www.reuters.com/article/businessNews/idUSN1149866820071211?sp=true
> >>

> >> Regards,
> >>
> >> John
> >>
> > What version were they to offer? It's not a Fedora issue is it? F9 I
> > thought would be later.
> >
> > Karl
> >

> i think they are talking about this:
>
> http://www.olpcnews.com/software/operating_system/red_hat_intel_classmate_pc.html
>
> it's basically competition for OLPC.
----
cool...my boss ordered one of the OLPC (on the 2 for 1 deal) and I'm
looking forward to playing with it. No wonder why redmondmag is
gloating...Microsoft is pretty much just an interested party anyway.

Craig

Old 12-13-2007, 02:24 AM
Gene Heskett

On Wednesday 12 December 2007, Craig White wrote:
>On Wed, 2007-12-12 at 18:35 -0500, jack wallen wrote:
>> Karl Larsen wrote:

>> > What version were they to offer? It's not a Fedora issue is it? F9 I
>> > thought would be later.
>> >
>> > Karl
>>
>> i think they are talking about this:
>>
>> http://www.olpcnews.com/software/operating_system/red_hat_intel_classmate_
>>pc.html
>>
>> it's basically competition for OLPC.
>
>----
>cool...my boss ordered one of the OLPC (on the 2 for 1 deal) and I'm
>looking forward to playing with it. No wonder why redmondmag is
>gloating...Microsoft is pretty much just an interested party anyway.
>
>Craig

Be aware, very aware, when Redmond gets interested. They can teach the CIA
tricks. Humm, on second thought, with the CIA's track record recently, maybe
they should.

--
Cheers, Gene
-Ed Howdershelt (Author)

Old 12-13-2007, 03:12 PM
Robin Laing

Craig White wrote:

On Wed, 2007-12-12 at 14:54 -0800, John Wendel wrote:

i think they are talking about this:

http://www.olpcnews.com/software/operating_system/red_hat_intel_classmate_pc.html

it's basically competition for OLPC.

----
cool...my boss ordered one of the OLPC (on the 2 for 1 deal) and I'm
looking forward to playing with it. No wonder why redmondmag is
gloating...Microsoft is pretty much just an interested party anyway.

Craig

I don't think the Classmate is a direct competitor for the OLPC as it
requires to much power to keep running. Not much use in the third world
where there are no local outlets.

But Microsoft's interest in the OLPC is funny. They want it redesigned
with more flash storage and a different SD interface to allow them to
put a smaller version of WinXP on it. The version may be just a smart
terminal server but this is their plan. Also they have an issue with
the hardware because all the drivers are open source and they have to
reverse engineer their own closed source drivers.

There are a few around work here that have ordered the Give one get one
promotion package. I am looking forward to getting mine.

I am also reading that these new sub-notebooks (OLPC, Classmate, eeePC)
are all putting pressure on Microsoft to keep XP in their business
package. I really doubt that Microsoft will ever get Vista to work on
these computers.

--
Robin Laing

Old 12-13-2007, 08:24 PM
Aaron Konstam

On Thu, 2007-12-13 at 09:12 -0700, Robin Laing wrote:

> I don't think the Classmate is a direct competitor for the OLPC as it
> requires to much power to keep running. Not much use in the third
> world
> where there are no local outlets.
Qaddafi has ordered a million of them I think. However, Negroponte made
the correct analogy on NPR one day. He was answering whether he thought
competes with his machine, He made this analogy. If the UN World Food
Service was supplying a small village in Africa and suddenly McDonald's
showed up supplying food. The UN would not feel done in. They would just
go to another village.
after all the point is to bring machines of food to undeveloped venues.
If Intel wants to do it fine.

I am anxious to get my XO machine. It has features that Classmate can't
match. I think of it as a big iphone but more powerful. It also does not
cost $500.