Old 11-05-2009, 04:56 PM
"Mario Andes"

Default VPN

Hi there!

I am using Karmic Koala on a Thinkpad T61.
At the university the campus net is almost everywhere accessible and
therefore ideal
to communicate with everybody without necessity of a lan.
To get into the campus net which is a wlan is relatively simple. Locate
the wlan and
via a pptp get into the VPN.

How can I do that with Karmic Koala???

mario

Old 04-10-2010, 09:52 AM
cahit Eyigünlü

is there any possibility to do this on cent os
for example company one will be in the block of 10.0.0.0.1-10.0.0.255
and routed to the one of my external ipcompany two will be in the block of 11.0.0.0.1-11.0.0.255 and routed
to the one of my external ip
i just need an advice is this better on windows vpn or llinux vpn
server do you advice me any server software like open vpn or sth. else
thank you very much i am glad for all your help i will rent a new
server after complete a working system on virtual machine thanks ..

Old 04-10-2010, 10:21 AM
John R Pierce

cahit Eyigünlü wrote:
> is there any possibility to do this on cent os
>
> for example company one will be in the block of 10.0.0.0.1-10.0.0.255
> and routed to the one of my external ip
> company two will be in the block of 11.0.0.0.1-11.0.0.255 and routed
> to the one of my external ip

I am not sure what you mean by 'routed to one of your external ip
addresses'.

so, you are at a third site, and want a tunnel to both companies networks?

btw, I know those are just example addresses, but 11.x.x.x is not a
reserved network instead, that should be 10.1.0.xxx or something.

> i just need an advice is this better on windows vpn or llinux vpn
> server do you advice me any server software like open vpn or sth. else

assuming its a routing that makes logical sense, it should be easy to
implement with OpenVPN. you'd need a firewall running openvpn at each
of those companies then your end could inititate the connections to each
of them. I'm not sure why you'd have to use two internet addresses at
your end, rather, you'd just have an net like 10.2.0.xxx and the VPN
tunnels would route between those networks. I'm assuming company 1 and
company 2 don't want any direct routing between them, so you'd have to
make sure you're not providing that route (eg, 10.0.0.xxx should not
have a route to 10.1.0.xxx or visa versa)

as far as 'better'? better is what you or the people who will be
administrating this is most familar with. often, easiest is to use VPN
appliance routers, like watchguards, or netscreens as the firewalls at
all these sites.

Old 04-10-2010, 10:27 AM
cahit Eyigünlü

Unfotunately i have to solve this based on software*i need to isolate each company to protect their info from others*i have 3 companiesand last one thing i need to see each company's traffic statics for long time periods. and i need to be able to limit their traffics
that is all ,but as i see on open vpn i could not group users.i have a cisco router which i could see the traffic of my servers external *ip addresses so i decide to see them from there via giving each company one external ip to connect to internet .
but i could not decide yet how to do it *is there any body have an advice for me ?

Old 04-10-2010, 10:35 AM
Eero Volotinen

2010/4/10 cahit Eyigünlü <cahit.eyigunlu@gmail.com>:
> Unfotunately i have to solve this based on software
> i need to isolate each company to protect their info from others
> i have 3 companies
> and last one thing i need to see each company's traffic statics for long
> time periods. and i need to be able to limit their traffics
> that is all ,
> but as i see on open vpn i could not group users.i have a cisco router which
> i could see the traffic of my servers external *ip addresses so i decide to
> see them from there via giving each company one external ip to connect to
> internet .
> but i could not decide yet how to do it
> is there any body have an advice for me ?
> 2010/4/10 John R Pierce <pierce@hogranch.com>

Solution is static routing tables and openvpn site-to-site tunnel.

--
Eero,
RHCE

Old 04-10-2010, 10:36 AM
cahit Eyigünlü

I will check this out thank you so much

Old 04-10-2010, 10:37 AM
cahit Eyigünlü

i am looking to open vpn remote page now do you know where could i set client's sites that allow to connect or not ?

Old 04-10-2010, 10:56 AM
Eero Volotinen

2010/4/10 cahit Eyigünlü <cahit.eyigunlu@gmail.com>:
> i am looking to open vpn remote page now do you know where could i set
> client's sites that allow to connect or not ?

err.

See documentation at http://www.openvpn.net or hire network consult?

--
Eero,
RHCE

Old 04-10-2010, 11:27 AM
Ian Murray

>i am looking to open vpn remote page now do you know where could i set client's sites that allow to connect or not ?

I can't remember if there are other controls, but AFAIK the primary method of saying who is allowed is via certificates that you create when setting it up.

It is still unclear to me what you are trying to achieve.

Is it that you have three sites...

where <-> represents the VPN link? Is it that A needs to talk to B, B to C, but you don't want A to talk to C? If that is the case, I think it needs to be solved with a combination of VPN's as described and Iptables to stop the A to C conversation..

Old 04-10-2010, 11:34 AM
cahit Eyigünlü

yes exactly that is what i need to do murrayeicould you describe a little more