Old 11-21-2007, 02:35 AM
Jack Howarth

Default how do you force anaconda to use vesa?

I found that when I tried to run the x86_64 Fedora 8
installer on a machine which currently runs x86_64 Fedora 7
that the X gui of the installer doesn't appear. I believe the
problem is that the radeon driver is trying to drive the
ATI Radeon X1650 Pro graphics card but only produces a black
screen. I don't see any particular errors in the virtual console
that anaconda launches X from.
Is there anyway to force anaconda to default to the vesa
driver (which is what Fedora 7 was doing)? I tried adding
'vesa' to the kernel options at the beginning of the installation
but that didn't help. I am loath to do a text installation if
I can find some way to suppress the radeon driver for the
install (since I will use fglrx afterwards).
Thanks in advance for any advice.
Jack

Old 11-21-2007, 02:49 AM
Jim Cornette

Jack Howarth wrote:

I found that when I tried to run the x86_64 Fedora 8
installer on a machine which currently runs x86_64 Fedora 7
that the X gui of the installer doesn't appear. I believe the
problem is that the radeon driver is trying to drive the
ATI Radeon X1650 Pro graphics card but only produces a black
screen. I don't see any particular errors in the virtual console
that anaconda launches X from.
Is there anyway to force anaconda to default to the vesa
driver (which is what Fedora 7 was doing)? I tried adding
'vesa' to the kernel options at the beginning of the installation
but that didn't help. I am loath to do a text installation if
I can find some way to suppress the radeon driver for the
install (since I will use fglrx afterwards).
Thanks in advance for any advice.
Jack

linux xdriver=vesa should do it. The option was changed to allow
flexibility so you could specify drivers other than vesa, such as intel.

There may be documentation on this feature. I read it on the development
list and used it for several installations where the video card was not
detected properly.

Jim

--
Beer & Pretzels -- Breakfast of Champions.