Old 12-12-2007, 02:52 PM
"thomas Armstrong"

Default mount: wrong fs type, bad option, bad superblock

Hi.

Using Ubuntu 7.10 I want to mount a directory shared on a Fedora
machine with NFS.

On Fedora machine (fedoraserver):
* edited '/etc/exports' and added:
-----------
/home/mydir/ pc09(rw)
-----------
* /etc/rc.d/init.d/nfs restart

On Ubuntu machine (pc09)
* mkdir /home/john/server-mydir
* mount -o nfsvers=2 fedoraserver:/home/mydir /home/jonh/server-mydir
-o nfsvers=2

But I get this error message:
-------
mount: wrong fs type, bad option, bad superblock on fedoraserver:/home/mydir/,
-------

'fedoraserver' does exist for 'pc09' and 'pc09' does exist for
'fedoraserver'. What am I doing wrong?

Thank you very much.

Old 12-12-2007, 03:19 PM
"Mikkel L. Ellertson"

thomas Armstrong wrote:
> Hi.
>
> Using Ubuntu 7.10 I want to mount a directory shared on a Fedora
> machine with NFS.
>
> On Fedora machine (fedoraserver):
> * edited '/etc/exports' and added:
> -----------
> /home/mydir/ pc09(rw)
> -----------
> * /etc/rc.d/init.d/nfs restart
>
> On Ubuntu machine (pc09)
> * mkdir /home/john/server-mydir
> * mount -o nfsvers=2 fedoraserver:/home/mydir /home/jonh/server-mydir
> -o nfsvers=2
>
> But I get this error message:
> -------
> mount: wrong fs type, bad option, bad superblock on fedoraserver:/home/mydir/,
> missing codepage or helper program, or other error
> -------
>
> 'fedoraserver' does exist for 'pc09' and 'pc09' does exist for
> 'fedoraserver'. What am I doing wrong?
>
> Thank you very much.

A couple of things - first, it looks like you repeated the -o
section. Second, you should try adding "-t nfs".

Mikkel

Old 12-12-2007, 04:21 PM
Phil Meyer

thomas Armstrong wrote:

Hi.

Using Ubuntu 7.10 I want to mount a directory shared on a Fedora
machine with NFS.

On Fedora machine (fedoraserver):
* edited '/etc/exports' and added:
-----------
/home/mydir/ pc09(rw)
-----------
* /etc/rc.d/init.d/nfs restart

On Ubuntu machine (pc09)
* mkdir /home/john/server-mydir
* mount -o nfsvers=2 fedoraserver:/home/mydir /home/jonh/server-mydir
-o nfsvers=2

But I get this error message:
-------
mount: wrong fs type, bad option, bad superblock on fedoraserver:/home/mydir/,
-------

'fedoraserver' does exist for 'pc09' and 'pc09' does exist for
'fedoraserver'. What am I doing wrong?

Thank you very much.

First verify that it is shared correctly.
On pc09:
showmount -e fedoraserver

That command should show you any files systems you can mount.

Next, let the client machine figure it out for himself what the server
wants:

On pc09:
mount fedoraserver:/home/mydir /home/jonh/server-mydir

You should not need any other options.

The structure of the source is like a URL, mount knows it is NFS just by
the format of the source, ie: server:/dir

Good Luck!

Old 12-12-2007, 04:46 PM
"thomas Armstrong"

Hi Mikkel. Thank you very much for your answer.

I tried with:
[]# sudo mount -o nfsvers=2 fedoraserver:/home/mydir
/home/jonh/server-mydir -t nfs
and got the same error message

Old 12-12-2007, 05:21 PM
Rick Stevens

On Wed, 2007-12-12 at 16:52 +0100, thomas Armstrong wrote:
> Hi.
>
> Using Ubuntu 7.10 I want to mount a directory shared on a Fedora
> machine with NFS.
>
> On Fedora machine (fedoraserver):
> * edited '/etc/exports' and added:
> -----------
> /home/mydir/ pc09(rw)

Don't have the trailing "/" on the export. Just use "/home/mydir".

> -----------
> * /etc/rc.d/init.d/nfs restart

All you need is "exportfs -ar". You don't have to restart the service.

> On Ubuntu machine (pc09)
> * mkdir /home/john/server-mydir
> * mount -o nfsvers=2 fedoraserver:/home/mydir /home/jonh/server-mydir
> -o nfsvers=2
>
> But I get this error message:
> -------
> mount: wrong fs type, bad option, bad superblock on fedoraserver:/home/mydir/,
> missing codepage or helper program, or other error
> -------
>
> 'fedoraserver' does exist for 'pc09' and 'pc09' does exist for
> 'fedoraserver'. What am I doing wrong?

The mount command should be:

mount fedoraserver:/home/mydir /home/jonh/server-mydir

Let the system figure out what the options are. It'll negotiate a
better default set than you're specifying (why would you want NFS V2
anyway?). I suspect the problem is the trailing "/" on the export on
the Fedora server.

Old 12-12-2007, 09:04 PM
John Summerfield

thomas Armstrong wrote:

Hi Mikkel. Thank you very much for your answer.

I tried with:
[]# sudo mount -o nfsvers=2 fedoraserver:/home/mydir
/home/jonh/server-mydir -t nfs
and got the same error message

Would spelling be important? I can mount exports from nahant-clone on
latest fedora and debian-stable without any dramas.

thomas Armstrong wrote:

[...]

Cheers
John

-- spambait