-   -   users (http://www.linux-archive.org/fedora-user/17966-users.html)

12-12-2007 11:51 AM

users

I had to add some users to a remote site.
X traffic from there is way to slow to
use system-config-users.

I got around it by doing

for nam in user1 user2 user3 user4
do
** groupadd $nam
** useradd -g $nam $nam
** echo $nam | stdin -- passwd $nam
done

(Passwords were actually set to something else)

But now I realize they should be in group x
(I don't want to change their original group,
just add them to group x).* Normally I would
use system-config-users and add them but
the x traffic is too slow.* I am not sure how
to do it without X.* Is it simply a matter
of editing /etc/passwd and adding the
additional groups?* Or perhaps editing
/etc/group and adding ,user1,user2 ....
to the entry for group x?* Is there anything
else that would need to be done?

"Robert P. J. Day" 12-12-2007 12:05 PM

users

On Wed, 12 Dec 2007, tony.chamberlain@lemko.com wrote:

> I had to add some users to a remote site.
> X traffic from there is way to slow to
> use system-config-users.
>
> I got around it by doing
>
> for nam in user1 user2 user3 user4
> do
> groupadd $nam
> useradd -g $nam $nam
> echo $nam | stdin -- passwd $nam
> done

you don't actually need to add their user-private groups first --
that's the default.

> (Passwords were actually set to something else)
>
> But now I realize they should be in group x
> (I don't want to change their original group,
> just add them to group x). Normally I would
> use system-config-users and add them but
> the x traffic is too slow. I am not sure how
> to do it without X. Is it simply a matter
> of editing /etc/passwd and adding the
> additional groups? Or perhaps editing
> /etc/group and adding ,user1,user2 ....
> to the entry for group x? Is there anything
> else that would need to be done?

$ man usermod

rday
Robert P. J. Day