Old 12-11-2007, 11:42 PM
Konstantin Svist

Default hald/haldaemon cpu usage

Hi all,

I'm curious about haldaemon - for some reason, it takes up 3-5% cpu at
all times on my computer.

Why would it do that?

Thanks

Old 12-12-2007, 12:08 AM
John Wendel

Konstantin Svist wrote:

Hi all,

I'm curious about haldaemon - for some reason, it takes up 3-5% cpu at
all times on my computer.

Why would it do that?

Thanks

"service haldaemon stop" works good for me.

You could run strace and figure out what stupid thing it's doing and
file a bug report.

Regards,

John

Old 12-12-2007, 12:27 AM
Konstantin Svist

John Wendel wrote:

Konstantin Svist wrote:

Hi all,

I'm curious about haldaemon - for some reason, it takes up 3-5% cpu
at all times on my computer.

Why would it do that?

Thanks

"service haldaemon stop" works good for me.

You could run strace and figure out what stupid thing it's doing and
file a bug report.

Thanks John,

I'm kind of wary of killing off daemons that might be necessary to keep
the system running, and I don't know exactly what this one does.
I *could* run strate, but decided to first ask if the problem is already
known (which is usually very likely)

Old 12-12-2007, 01:03 AM
John Wendel

Konstantin Svist wrote:

John Wendel wrote:

Konstantin Svist wrote:

Hi all,

I'm curious about haldaemon - for some reason, it takes up 3-5% cpu
at all times on my computer.

Why would it do that?

Thanks

"service haldaemon stop" works good for me.

You could run strace and figure out what stupid thing it's doing and
file a bug report.

Thanks John,

I'm kind of wary of killing off daemons that might be necessary to keep
the system running, and I don't know exactly what this one does.
I *could* run strate, but decided to first ask if the problem is already
known (which is usually very likely)

I never run haldaemon and my system works fine. You need it if you
want to mount a USB device (or other hotplugable device). When I need
it, I start it, let it work and then stop it again. My computer is
slow (PIII) so I need all the cycles for myself.

Here's all the daemons I run (this is a desktop, not a server).

messagebus 0ff 1ff 2ff 3n 4n 5n 6ff
network 0ff 1ff 2n 3n 4n 5n 6ff
sshd 0ff 1ff 2n 3n 4n 5n 6ff

Regards,

John

Old 12-15-2007, 06:40 AM
Konstantin Svist

I've found that HAL is responsible for reporting battery events to
kpowersave - which means the CPU problem might be caused by my dead
battery (it died a short while ago)

Another problem I've noticed is that changing the brightness level of
the screen, while in X and haldaemon is running, causes computer to
freeze for a second or two. It has never done that before.

Anyone else experience something like this?

Old 12-15-2007, 09:51 AM
wwp

Hello Konstantin,

On Fri, 14 Dec 2007 23:40:11 -0800 Konstantin Svist <fry.kun@gmail.com> wrote:

> I've found that HAL is responsible for reporting battery events to
> kpowersave - which means the CPU problem might be caused by my dead
> battery (it died a short while ago)
>
> Another problem I've noticed is that changing the brightness level of
> the screen, while in X and haldaemon is running, causes computer to
> freeze for a second or two. It has never done that before.
>

> Anyone else experience something like this?

Not sure if it's the same, but I encounter short and less-shorts hangs
apparently due to power-management here (Dell D810, within GNOME). I
tried shutting down haldaemon as well as playing w/ hal
polling, /proc/sys/vm/dirty_writeback_centisecs and
/proc/sys/dev/rtc/max-user-freq, but I could not feel a difference
(it's sometimes not easy to reproduce) in definitive it could seem to
be more related to gnome-power-management (I got it crashed and felt
better from a desktop PoV!).

See several related issues I've reported:
https://www.redhat.com/archives/fedora-list/2007-December/msg00904.html
https://www.redhat.com/archives/fedora-list/2007-December/msg00476.html

Regards,

--