Old 12-11-2007, 08:04 PM
"Paul Johnson"

Default Update problems!

> Public key for yum-3.2.8-2.fc8.noarch.rpm is not installed
> [root@k5di ~]#
>
> What this means is there must be one public key missing and the dam
> update fails.
>

> Karl

You can find the missing keys on the Internet, but I expect they are
already in your computer.

In a Fedora 7 system, look in your system here:

/etc/pki/rpm-gpg

In there you see keys supplied with the system:

RPM-GPG-KEY RPM-GPG-KEY-fedora-rawhide
RPM-GPG-KEY-adobe-linux RPM-GPG-KEY-fedora-test
RPM-GPG-KEY-beta RPM-GPG-KEY-livna
RPM-GPG-KEY-fedora RPM-GPG-KEY-rawhide

You need to do

rpm --import RPM-GPG-KEY-fedora

After that, the yum install will work.

I don't have an F8 system booted up at the current time, but if the
keys are somewhere else, I'm sure you can find them with find (here's
how I found them: "find /etc -name "*RPM*KEY*". I guess they might be
under /usr/share/doc/ instead of /etc. On a Scientific Linux 5 system
I'm using now, they are under the doc directory.

What puzzles me is that this key is missing from your rpm database.
If it is not installed, it means you have never ever done a yum
update. Which seems weird, given how old F8 is and how active you are
in this list. And, usually yum will ask you if you want to install
the key, and you say yes, and the install proceeds.

Don't complain that pup or some other gui fails. I've stopped using
them entirely. Either download the rpms you need and use rpm commands
to install, or run yum from the command line. It is the only way that
is either sure to work or give you enough information about what's
wrong in order to fix it.

yumex is the only gui RPM program I use anymore. Sometimes it is
convenient if you need to search for RPMs by keywords..

--
Paul E. Johnson
Professor, Political Science

Old 12-11-2007, 08:13 PM
"Gerry Tool"

On Dec 11, 2007 3:04 PM, Paul Johnson <pauljohn32@gmail.com> wrote:

> > Public key for yum-3.2.8-2.fc8.noarch.rpm is not installed
> > [root@k5di ~]#
> >
> > What this means is there must be one public key missing and the dam
> > update fails.
> >

> > Karl
> >

> You can find the missing keys on the Internet, but I expect they are
> already in your computer.
>
> In a Fedora 7 system, look in your system here:
>
> /etc/pki/rpm-gpg
>
> In there you see keys supplied with the system:
>
> RPM-GPG-KEY RPM-GPG-KEY-fedora-rawhide
> RPM-GPG-KEY-adobe-linux RPM-GPG-KEY-fedora-test
> RPM-GPG-KEY-beta RPM-GPG-KEY-livna
> RPM-GPG-KEY-fedora RPM-GPG-KEY-rawhide
>
> You need to do
>
> rpm --import RPM-GPG-KEY-fedora
>
> After that, the yum install will work.
>
> I don't have an F8 system booted up at the current time, but if the
> keys are somewhere else, I'm sure you can find them with find (here's
> how I found them: "find /etc -name "*RPM*KEY*". I guess they might be
> under /usr/share/doc/ instead of /etc. On a Scientific Linux 5 system
> I'm using now, they are under the doc directory.
>
> What puzzles me is that this key is missing from your rpm database.
> If it is not installed, it means you have never ever done a yum
> update. Which seems weird, given how old F8 is and how active you are
> in this list. And, usually yum will ask you if you want to install
> the key, and you say yes, and the install proceeds.
>
> Don't complain that pup or some other gui fails. I've stopped using
> them entirely. Either download the rpms you need and use rpm commands
> to install, or run yum from the command line. It is the only way that
> is either sure to work or give you enough information about what's
> wrong in order to fix it.
>
> yumex is the only gui RPM program I use anymore. Sometimes it is
> convenient if you need to search for RPMs by keywords..

It is a temporary situation caused by a faulty package submission.
Give it a day and it will most likely be fixed.

Old 12-11-2007, 08:17 PM
"Lamar Owen"

Looks like somebody goofed, for now the update isn't there:
[root@dhcp-pool161 ~]# yum update
Setting up Update Process
No Packages marked for Update
[root@dhcp-pool161 ~]#

I expect we'll see a yum update sometime in the future.

Or, someone hacked into the infrastructure an uploaded a wrongly signed RPM.
Or someone intended to upload to rawhide, and it got in the main repos (this
shouldn't happen).

There are a number of things that could have happened, but, in this case, it
was not user error on Karl's part.
--
Lamar Owen
Chief Information Officer

Old 12-11-2007, 08:20 PM
Karl Larsen

Paul Johnson wrote:

[...]

I have had about 100+ updates to F8 and this is the first time I
have had this problem. I can do the

rpm --import RPM-GPG-KEY-fedora

and will see what happens. If it works I pass it along.

Karl

What I get is

[root@k5di ~]# rpm --import RPM-GPG-KEY-fedora
error: RPM-GPG-KEY-fedora: import read failed(-1).

--

Karl F. Larsen, AKA K5DI
Linux User

Old 12-11-2007, 08:22 PM
Olaf Mueller

Karl Larsen wrote:

> So zero of the 10 updates were installed because of this. [...]
How is this accordable with your mail "It Works fine"?
Now I am a bit horrified. Please tell me as soon as everything works
fine again. Thank you.

best regards
Olaf

Old 12-11-2007, 08:33 PM
"Daniel B. Thurman"

Karl Larsen wrote:

>What I get is
>
>[root@k5di ~]# rpm --import RPM-GPG-KEY-fedora
>error: RPM-GPG-KEY-fedora: import read failed(-1).

Same here.

I wonder if this is also related to my posting that
my system fails to bring up the gui login screen. All
I see is the busy (forever) spinner?

Checked by AVG Free Edition.

Old 12-11-2007, 08:35 PM
Frank Cox

On Tue, 11 Dec 2007 13:33:32 -0800
"Daniel B. Thurman" <dant@cdkkt.com> wrote:

> I wonder if this is also related to my posting that
> my system fails to bring up the gui login screen. All
> I see is the busy (forever) spinner?

Did you try gdm-2.20.1-7.fc8 ?

Old 12-11-2007, 08:56 PM
Karl Larsen

Daniel B. Thurman wrote:

Karl Larsen wrote:

What I get is

[root@k5di ~]# rpm --import RPM-GPG-KEY-fedora
error: RPM-GPG-KEY-fedora: import read failed(-1).

Same here.

I wonder if this is also related to my posting that
my system fails to bring up the gui login screen. All
I see is the busy (forever) spinner?

No. Yours is a known bug in something. Mine is a problem with a file
from the update computer.

Checked by AVG Free Edition.

Old 12-11-2007, 09:55 PM
Brian Gaynor

On Tue, 2007-12-11 at 15:13 -0600, Gerry Tool wrote:
> It is a temporary situation caused by a faulty package submission.
> Give it a day and it will most likely be fixed.

Yes, it's a signing problem that will be cleared up shortly. And if the
OP had bothered to look this was already covered in a thread earlier
today (it's hard to miss, it has a VERY GOOD subject line).

Old 12-12-2007, 01:42 AM
Tim

On Tue, 2007-12-11 at 13:29 -0700, Karl Larsen wrote:
> So zero of the 10 updates were installed because of this. I sure get
> tired of the nice GUI stuff not working. Had I done it right I would
> have used:
>
> # yum -y update
>
> and it would all be done now

No, it wouldn't. It'd still abort. "yum -y update" is exactly the same
as running just "yum update", and pressing "y" at the proceed y/n stage.

User assumption error...

> and not needed to d/l all that stuff again.

You don't need to re-download stuff if you have yum caching the
downloaded files.

User lack of knowledge error...

--
[tim@bigblack ~]$ uname -ipr
2.6.23.1-10.fc7 i686 i386

Using FC 4, 5, 6 & 7, plus CentOS 5. Today, it's FC7.

I read messages from the public lists.