-   -   access ipod files? (http://www.linux-archive.org/fedora-user/17403-access-ipod-files.html)

Craig White 12-11-2007 07:31 PM

access ipod files?

On Tue, 2007-12-11 at 13:31 -0500, Bob Goodwin wrote:
> Alessandro Brezzi wrote:

> I think it's called a "mini" but I'm not certain. Bought them about
> two years ago so they are not the latest!
>

> /var/log/messages [This looks like the appropriate part after
> plugging in the ipod.]
>
> Dec 11 13:17:09 box6 kernel: scsi 11:0:0:0: Direct-Access
> Apple iPod
> 1.62 PQ: 0 ANSI: 0
> Dec 11 13:17:09 box6 kernel: sd 11:0:0:0: [sdc] 12000555 512-byte
> hardware secto
> rs (6144 MB)
> Dec 11 13:17:09 box6 kernel: sd 11:0:0:0: [sdc] Write Protect is off
> Dec 11 13:17:09 box6 kernel: sd 11:0:0:0: [sdc] Assuming drive
> cache: write thro
> ugh
> Dec 11 13:17:09 box6 kernel: sd 11:0:0:0: [sdc] 12000555 512-byte
> hardware secto
> rs (6144 MB)
> Dec 11 13:17:09 box6 kernel: sd 11:0:0:0: [sdc] Write Protect is off
> Dec 11 13:17:09 box6 kernel: sd 11:0:0:0: [sdc] Assuming drive
> cache: write thro
> :
>

> As for the file system it uses, I don't know anything about it but
> it is whatever it was delivered with and the kids deal with it via
> Windows XP.
>
> I think I am beginning to lose interest in the project.

> lsusb
> Bus 005 Device 012: ID 05ac:1205 Apple Computer, Inc.
> Bus 005 Device 001: ID 0000:0000
> Bus 004 Device 001: ID 0000:0000
> Bus 003 Device 002: ID 050d:0980 Belkin Components
> Bus 003 Device 001: ID 0000:0000
> Bus 002 Device 004: ID 046d:0870 Logitech, Inc. QuickCam Express
> Bus 002 Device 003: ID 046d:c408 Logitech, Inc. Marble Mouse (4-button)
> Bus 002 Device 001: ID 0000:0000
> Bus 001 Device 001: ID 0000:0000
----
normal fedora would have device automatically mount when connected -
i.e. /media/DEVICE_NAME as the current logged in user.

Evidently it is device known as /dev/sdc

Probably best not to fool with it much as root

in a terminal, you can figure out what is mounted simply by typing
'mount'

IE...my ipod (not a mini)

mount command shows...
/dev/sda2 on /media/80IPOD type vfat
(rw,noexec,nosuid,nodev,noatime,uid=1000,utf8,shor tname=lower)

so my ipod is /dev/sda and /dev/sda2 is mounted at /media/80IPOD

$ ls -l /media/80IPOD/
total 80
drwxr-xr-x 2 craig root 16384 Jan 1 2000 Calendars
drwxr-xr-x 2 craig root 16384 Jan 1 2000 Contacts
drwxr-xr-x 6 craig root 16384 Sep 10 2006 iPod_Control
drwxr-xr-x 2 craig root 16384 Jan 1 2000 Notes
drwxr-xr-x 3 craig root 16384 Nov 22 12:08 Photos

so far so good...

ls -l /media/80IPOD/iPod_Control
ls -l /media/80IPOD/iPod_Control/Music
which then shows all the folders and the music is inside the folders.

The file/folder naming scheme doesn't make sense to us.

but it can be discerned from
/media/80IPOD/iPod_Control/iTunes/iTunesDB
but it needs something that can make sense of that.

That's where Amarok, gtkpod or other programs come in.

Find the icon on the desktop and right click it, tell it to 'Safely
Remove' and then after telling you to remove it, disconnect from
computer. Fire up Amarok (or whatever), once it launches, then connect
the iPod again...Amarok should find it just fine.

Craig

Bob Goodwin 12-11-2007 09:01 PM

access ipod files?

Craig White wrote:

----
[...]

Ok, with your help I was able to make it work. When I plug in the
iPod two icons appear on the desk top, one labeled "Apple iPod" and
another marked "Luc & Matt." I had to mount the second one and then
I can see the files you mentioned "/iPod_Control/iTunes/" etc.

Then starting amarok produces a listing of the contents of the iPod
from which I can copy stuff to the hard drive and play it via xmms.

Thanks to all for the help.

Bob Goodwin

Craig White 12-12-2007 12:00 AM

access ipod files?

On Tue, 2007-12-11 at 17:01 -0500, Bob Goodwin wrote:
> Craig White wrote:
> > ----
> > normal fedora would have device automatically mount when connected -
> > i.e. /media/DEVICE_NAME as the current logged in user.
> >
> > Evidently it is device known as /dev/sdc
> >
> > Probably best not to fool with it much as root
> >
> > in a terminal, you can figure out what is mounted simply by typing
> > 'mount'
> >
> > IE...my ipod (not a mini)
> >
> > mount command shows...
> > /dev/sda2 on /media/80IPOD type vfat
> > (rw,noexec,nosuid,nodev,noatime,uid=1000,utf8,shor tname=lower)
> >
> > so my ipod is /dev/sda and /dev/sda2 is mounted at /media/80IPOD
> >
> > $ ls -l /media/80IPOD/
> > total 80
> > drwxr-xr-x 2 craig root 16384 Jan 1 2000 Calendars
> > drwxr-xr-x 2 craig root 16384 Jan 1 2000 Contacts
> > drwxr-xr-x 6 craig root 16384 Sep 10 2006 iPod_Control
> > drwxr-xr-x 2 craig root 16384 Jan 1 2000 Notes
> > drwxr-xr-x 3 craig root 16384 Nov 22 12:08 Photos
> >
> > so far so good...
> >
> > ls -l /media/80IPOD/iPod_Control
> > ls -l /media/80IPOD/iPod_Control/Music
> > which then shows all the folders and the music is inside the folders.
> >
> > The file/folder naming scheme doesn't make sense to us.
> >
> > but it can be discerned from
> > /media/80IPOD/iPod_Control/iTunes/iTunesDB
> > but it needs something that can make sense of that.
> >
> > That's where Amarok, gtkpod or other programs come in.
> >
> > Find the icon on the desktop and right click it, tell it to 'Safely
> > Remove' and then after telling you to remove it, disconnect from
> > computer. Fire up Amarok (or whatever), once it launches, then connect
> > the iPod again...Amarok should find it just fine.
> >
> > Craig
> >

> Ok, with your help I was able to make it work. When I plug in the
> iPod two icons appear on the desk top, one labeled "Apple iPod" and
> another marked "Luc & Matt." I had to mount the second one and then
> I can see the files you mentioned "/iPod_Control/iTunes/" etc.
>
> Then starting amarok produces a listing of the contents of the iPod
> from which I can copy stuff to the hard drive and play it via xmms.
>
> Thanks to all for the help.
----
just as an fyi, I think that if you want to use Amarok to 'play' ipod
stuff, it requires that you have livna repository configured and then,

yum install
gstreamer-plugins-good
gstreamer-plugins-bad
gstreamer-plugins-ugly
gstreamer
gstreamer-tools

I suspect that you already have faad2 & xmms-faad2 installed since you
are playing from xmms and thus probably already have livna configured.

Craig

(probably gstreamer and gstreamer-tools are already installed)

Tim 12-12-2007 01:25 AM

access ipod files?

On Tue, 2007-12-11 at 14:18 -0500, Bob Goodwin wrote:
> I don't know where he was plugging it in to charge it but obviously
> it was a USB without power. The battery was dead!

A lot of devices expect power from USB in a manner against the specs
(wanting too much current without specifically asking for it, or wanting
more than can be supplied, anyway). On some computers they'll
accommodate, others will not and you'll not get enough current to run
the device, and you can get random USB failures while you use your PC.

You can get 5 Volt plugpacks that have a female USB connector, and
that'll allow you to charge USB powered devices without a PC. If you're
just playing an Ipod, and rarely changing the contents, that's more
practical that running a PC just to charge its batteries.

--
[tim@bigblack ~]$ uname -ipr
2.6.23.1-10.fc7 i686 i386

Using FC 4, 5, 6 & 7, plus CentOS 5. Today, it's FC7.

I read messages from the public lists.

Tim 12-12-2007 01:29 AM

access ipod files?

On Tue, 2007-12-11 at 15:27 -0500, Bob Goodwin wrote:
> Perhaps I don't have the right cable?

You might want to tell the list exactly what model iPod you have.
Different models used different schemes. Some had Firewire and USB
connections, using one for power and one for data.

You could just have a broken cable. There's four wires in USB, two
power, two data. If a data wire broke but power didn't, you could see a
device turn on, but not actually be usable.

You could be trying to run it powered from your USB port where your USB
port isn't able to supply enough current (try going through a powered
hub, instead), you could have a wonky USB port on the computer (try a
different port - my computer's front-panel ports connect through crap
cables, they don't work well with high speed USB).

Craig White 12-12-2007 02:32 AM

access ipod files?

On Wed, 2007-12-12 at 12:59 +1030, Tim wrote:
> On Tue, 2007-12-11 at 15:27 -0500, Bob Goodwin wrote:
> > Perhaps I don't have the right cable?
>
> You might want to tell the list exactly what model iPod you have.
> Different models used different schemes. Some had Firewire and USB
> connections, using one for power and one for data.
>
> You could just have a broken cable. There's four wires in USB, two
> power, two data. If a data wire broke but power didn't, you could see a
> device turn on, but not actually be usable.
>
> You could be trying to run it powered from your USB port where your USB
> port isn't able to supply enough current (try going through a powered
> hub, instead), you could have a wonky USB port on the computer (try a
> different port - my computer's front-panel ports connect through crap
> cables, they don't work well with high speed USB).
----
nice of you to chime in 6 hours after problem is solved

USB 1.1 ports may or may not supply enough power to an iPod...this can
be googled.

This of course was not his problem.

Craig

Tim 12-12-2007 05:40 AM

access ipod files?

On Tue, 2007-12-11 at 20:32 -0700, Craig White wrote:
> nice of you to chime in 6 hours after problem is solved

Haven't seen a post where the problem is "solved" yet. Just some where
the causes are identifed. That's not the same thing.

Bob Goodwin 12-12-2007 08:02 AM

access ipod files?

Tim wrote:

I don't know where he was plugging it in to charge it but obviously
it was a USB without power. The battery was dead!

A lot of devices expect power from USB in a manner against the specs
(wanting too much current without specifically asking for it, or wanting
more than can be supplied, anyway). On some computers they'll
accommodate, others will not and you'll not get enough current to run
the device, and you can get random USB failures while you use your PC.

You can get 5 Volt plugpacks that have a female USB connector, and
that'll allow you to charge USB powered devices without a PC. If you're
just playing an Ipod, and rarely changing the contents, that's more
practical that running a PC just to charge its batteries.

Yes, and I bought some small 5vdc/2amp supplies that don't appear to
have 60 cycle transformers, judging from the size and weight, but
the project has never seen completion. They've been charging them
via usb connections for two years now.

I even bought replacement batteries, only replaced one of them, the
other still works well.

Bob Goodwin

Bob Goodwin 12-12-2007 08:07 AM

access ipod files?

Craig White wrote:

[...]

Yes, I installed whatever was necessary for xmms, vlc, and audacity
to handle mp3 files. I will have to check for the stuff you list above.

Thanks.

Bob Goodwin