Old 12-11-2007, 06:11 PM
"Dylan Semler"

Default Virtualize an existing installation of Windows

Using gparted, I've been able to sneak a Fedora partition on my work
laptop and dual boot F8 and XP.* My next ambition is to be able to boot
my XP partition as a virtual machine in Linux using Xen.* I've seen a
how-to for vmware[1], but I feel that Xen performs better (especially
with the VT-x extension) and I'd like to try that first.* Does anyone
know if this is possible?

[1]http://mazimi.wordpress.com/2007/06/24/virtualization-of-an-existing-physical-partition-of-windows-within-linux/
--
Dylan
*

Old 12-11-2007, 10:03 PM
"Richard Shaw"

Using gparted, I've been able to sneak a Fedora partition on my work
laptop and dual boot F8 and XP.* My next ambition is to be able to boot
my XP partition as a virtual machine in Linux using Xen.* I've seen a
how-to for vmware[1], but I feel that Xen performs better (especially
with the VT-x extension) and I'd like to try that first.* Does anyone
know if this is possible?

[1]http://mazimi.wordpress.com/2007/06/24/virtualization-of-an-existing-physical-partition-of-windows-within-linux/
--
Dylan
*
Type faster. *Use Dvorak:

http://dvzine.org

I don't know about using Xen. I wanted to go that route but my processor does not support VT-x. I use VirtualBox and it works quite well. In their tutorial they have instructions for building a VMDK file that points to the partition. It may be more automated now but it was pretty manual when I did it. A couple of notices:

- You need to be root to access the partition directly. I accomplish this by opening a termal and sudo VirtualBox.
- Do not mount the partition in Linux and boot the virtual machine at the same time, you can seriously mess up your system this way.

- Boot into XP first and create a new hardware profile just for use with Xen/Virtualbox so it doesn't keep re-detecting hardware when you switch back and forth.

Richard

Old 12-12-2007, 03:28 AM
"Dylan Semler"

I don't know about using Xen. I wanted to go that route but my processor does not support VT-x. I use VirtualBox and it works quite well. In their tutorial they have instructions for building a VMDK file that points to the partition. It may be more automated now but it was pretty manual when I did it. A couple of notices:

Interesting, I have never heard of VirtualBox.* What made you chose that over vmware?* How do you like the performance?

Thanks for the tips.
--
Dylan

Type faster. *Use Dvorak:

http://dvzine.org

Old 12-13-2007, 02:30 AM
Richard Shaw

Dylan Semler wrote:

On Dec 11, 2007 6:03 PM, Richard Shaw <hobbes1069@gmail.com
I don't know about using Xen. I wanted to go that route but my
processor does not support VT-x. I use VirtualBox and it works
quite well. In their tutorial they have instructions for building
a VMDK file that points to the partition. It may be more automated
now but it was pretty manual when I did it. A couple of notices:

Interesting, I have never heard of VirtualBox. What made you chose
that over vmware? How do you like the performance?

Thanks for the tips.
--
Dylan

Type faster. Use Dvorak:
http://dvzine.org
A while ago there was a virtualization discussion going on here and
several products were listed, one of which was VirtualBox. I have both
VMWare and VirtualBox working, the former with a 6GB file and VirtualBox
pointing to my XP partition. VirtualBox is still very full featured but
not quite a tweakble as VMWare but seems to run a little faster. They're
both good products.

Even though they are both "free" I don't like having to mess with a
serial # for VMWare, also the setup for VirtualBox is simpler, although
both require you to compile a kernel module. (At least for Fedora, you
can probably get prebuilt modules for RHEL/CentOS).

Richard