Old 12-11-2007, 04:49 PM
Tom Stewart

Default access ipod files?

Quoting Bob Goodwin <bobgoodwin@wildblue.net>:

Alessandro Brezzi wrote:
2007/12/11, Bob Goodwin <bobgoodwin@wildblue.net
<mailto:bobgoodwin@wildblue.net>>:

Is there an application that will enable me to access the contents
of the iPod device? That is, list the contents or play the music,
save it and put it on a cd? Anything useful that might impress
them
when they come home from school.

Bob Goodwin

Amarok, just to name one.
HTH

-- Alessandro Brezzi

Ok, I yum installed amarok and it runs but I don't see how to make it
access the ipod.

What am I missing here?

Bob Goodwin

Is it possible that the iPods are formatted with a Mac file system
instead of FAT, and that amarok doesn't understand the FS?

--Tom

Old 12-11-2007, 05:06 PM
"Alessandro Brezzi"

Alessandro Brezzi wrote:

> 2007/12/11, Bob Goodwin <
bobgoodwin@wildblue.net
> <mailto:bobgoodwin@wildblue.net>>:
>

>********I have one of my grandson's iPods plugged into a USB connector

>**** and I
>********see two icons on my desktop one labeled "Apple iPod Music Player"
>********which I can't mount, and a second icon with "Luc & Matt" their XP
>********computer name.

>********Is there an application that will enable me to access the contents
>********of the iPod device?**That is, list the contents or play the music,
>********save it and put it on a cd?**Anything useful that might impress

>**** them
>********when they come home from school.
>
>********Bob Goodwin
>

> Amarok, just to name one.
>
> HTH
>

> --
> Alessandro Brezzi

Ok, I yum installed amarok and it runs but I don't see how to make it
access the ipod.

What am I missing here?

Bob Goodwin
*
What type of iPod are you tryng to connect?
I've succesfull connected iPod from all the previous generation, not tried with the newest (iPod touch - iPod new Nano large screen etc).
*
Normally, when I plug for the first time one iPod Amarok display a dialog asking if I want to manage the device and the the type of this. Then the entire db is displayed and you can copy from and into the iPod from your amarok music library. Try to unplug and then plug in the iPod when amarok is up and running, what happens?

What is in your /var/log/messages ?
And finally what lsusb report about your iPod?
*
--
Alessandro Brezzi
*

Old 12-11-2007, 05:31 PM
Bob Goodwin

Alessandro Brezzi wrote:

> 2007/12/11, Bob Goodwin < bobgoodwin@wildblue.net
<mailto:bobgoodwin@wildblue.net>
> <mailto:bobgoodwin@wildblue.net <mailto:bobgoodwin@wildblue.net>>>:
>

> I have one of my grandson's iPods plugged into a USB
connector
> and I
> see two icons on my desktop one labeled "Apple iPod Music
Player"
> which I can't mount, and a second icon with "Luc & Matt"
their XP
> computer name.
>
> Is there an application that will enable me to access the
contents
> of the iPod device? That is, list the contents or play
the music,
> save it and put it on a cd? Anything useful that might
impress
> them
> when they come home from school.
>
> Bob Goodwin
>

> Amarok, just to name one.
>
> HTH
>

> --
> Alessandro Brezzi

Ok, I yum installed amarok and it runs but I don't see how to make it
access the ipod.

What am I missing here?

Bob Goodwin

What type of iPod are you tryng to connect?
I've succesfull connected iPod from all the previous generation, not
tried with the newest (iPod touch - iPod new Nano large screen etc).

Normally, when I plug for the first time one iPod Amarok display a
dialog asking if I want to manage the device and the the type of this.
Then the entire db is displayed and you can copy from and into the
iPod from your amarok music library. Try to unplug and then plug in
the iPod when amarok is up and running, what happens?

What is in your /var/log/messages ?
And finally what lsusb report about your iPod?

--

Alessandro Brezzi

I think it's called a "mini" but I'm not certain. Bought them about
two years ago so they are not the latest!

/var/log/messages [This looks like the appropriate part after
plugging in the ipod.]

Dec 11 13:17:09 box6 kernel: scsi 11:0:0:0: Direct-Access
Apple iPod
1.62 PQ: 0 ANSI: 0

Dec 11 13:17:09 box6 kernel: sd 11:0:0:0: [sdc] 12000555 512-byte
hardware secto
rs (6144 MB)
Dec 11 13:17:09 box6 kernel: sd 11:0:0:0: [sdc] Write Protect is off
Dec 11 13:17:09 box6 kernel: sd 11:0:0:0: [sdc] Assuming drive
cache: write thro
ugh
Dec 11 13:17:09 box6 kernel: sd 11:0:0:0: [sdc] 12000555 512-byte
hardware secto
rs (6144 MB)
Dec 11 13:17:09 box6 kernel: sd 11:0:0:0: [sdc] Write Protect is off
Dec 11 13:17:09 box6 kernel: sd 11:0:0:0: [sdc] Assuming drive
cache: write thro
:

As for the file system it uses, I don't know anything about it but
it is whatever it was delivered with and the kids deal with it via
Windows XP.

I think I am beginning to lose interest in the project.

lsusb
Bus 005 Device 012: ID 05ac:1205 Apple Computer, Inc.
Bus 005 Device 001: ID 0000:0000
Bus 004 Device 001: ID 0000:0000
Bus 003 Device 002: ID 050d:0980 Belkin Components
Bus 003 Device 001: ID 0000:0000
Bus 002 Device 004: ID 046d:0870 Logitech, Inc. QuickCam Express

Bus 002 Device 003: ID 046d:c408 Logitech, Inc. Marble Mouse (4-button)
Bus 002 Device 001: ID 0000:0000
Bus 001 Device 001: ID 0000:0000

Bob Goodwin

Old 12-11-2007, 05:51 PM
Chris Jones

Amarok, just to name one.

A word of caution. When I got my video ipod at the start of this year, I
tried to get in syncing under linux, using both amarok and gtkpod. Both
times the thing got corrupted and I was forced to resync under iTunes.
After that I gave up trying ...

I not saying its impossible - A lot of people manage it. Just saying if
you screw up your granson's iPod that might, hmm, reduce how impressed
he is with you

One day I might try again myself, but I wouldn't want to start
experimenting again with someone else's ipod ...

cheers Chris

Old 12-11-2007, 06:18 PM
Bob Goodwin

Chris Jones wrote:

Amarok, just to name one.

A word of caution. When I got my video ipod at the start of this year,
I tried to get in syncing under linux, using both amarok and gtkpod.
Both times the thing got corrupted and I was forced to resync under
iTunes. After that I gave up trying ...

I not saying its impossible - A lot of people manage it. Just saying
if you screw up your granson's iPod that might, hmm, reduce how
impressed he is with you

One day I might try again myself, but I wouldn't want to start
experimenting again with someone else's ipod ...

cheers Chris

Thanks for the warning! But it didn't work at all when he gave it to me
so I'm safe there.

I don't know where he was plugging it in to charge it but obviously
it was a USB without power. The battery was dead! All I had to do
was charge it and it appears to be working. His complaint was that
it would not turn on, no lights. It does that now ... I don't have
the headset, just the usb cable that plugs in the bottom.

Bob Goodwin

Old 12-11-2007, 07:05 PM
Todd Zullinger

Bob Goodwin wrote:
> I think it's called a "mini" but I'm not certain. Bought them about
> two years ago so they are not the latest!

One source to help you identify the model is:

Old 12-11-2007, 07:12 PM
Todd Zullinger

Bob Goodwin wrote:
> I have one of my grandson's iPods plugged into a USB connector and I
> see two icons on my desktop one labeled "Apple iPod Music Player"
> which I can't mount, and a second icon with "Luc & Matt" their XP
> computer name.

The iPod should be mounted automatically. It will be be in /media,
with the name of the iPod as the directory, if it was successfully
mounted.

> Is there an application that will enable me to access the contents
> of the iPod device? That is, list the contents or play the music,
> save it and put it on a cd? Anything useful that might impress them
> when they come home from school.

As mentioned, Amarok can do this, I'm pretty sure. You can also use
individual tools to achieve this. Gtkpod is probably the most
comprehensive iPod manager for linux. But it just manages the iPod,
it doesn't play music nor burn or rip CDs. Banshee is another tool
similar to Amarok that can read and write the iPod, rip and burn CDs
and help you organize your music collection.

I do know that gtkpod makes it easy to copy your tracks from the iPod
to your hard drive, which is handy for backing them up or for using
them to feed to a CD burner or music player. You will need to install
some tools to enable mp3/m4a playback, as neither is included in
Fedora proper, due to patent problems.

Old 12-11-2007, 07:27 PM
Bob Goodwin

Todd Zullinger wrote:

Bob Goodwin wrote:

[...]

It shows up on the desk top but when I try to open or mount I get an
error message>

Unable to mount "Apple iPod Music Player":

Given device
"/org/freedesktop/Hal/devices/volume_part1_size_41094144" is
not a volume or drive

I found most of the applications you mention via yumex but so far
nothing works due to the above problem I assume.

Perhaps I don't have the right cable?

Bob Goodwin