Old 12-11-2007, 10:34 AM
John Summerfield

Default Why cant I make my laptop ethernet cards recognise 10Mbs?

phil prentice wrote:

Thanks for any help

I don't have any help, but I am very curious as to why you don't want to
go faster.

--

Cheers
John

-- spambait
-- Advice
http://webfoot.com/advice/email.top.php
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/555375

You cannot reply off-list:-)

Old 12-11-2007, 10:41 AM
Manuel Arostegui Ramirez

On Tuesday 11 December 2007 12:34:31 John Summerfield wrote:
> phil prentice wrote:
> > Thanks for any help
>
> I don't have any help, but I am very curious as to why you don't want to
> go faster.

Perhaps he has a 10 Mbps switch?
Just guessing...

--
Manuel Arostegui Ramirez.

be used for urgent or sensitive issues.

Old 12-11-2007, 01:09 PM
"Mikkel L. Ellertson"

phil prentice wrote:
> Hi
> I have got two laptops. If I connect one of them up to a 10mbs ethernet
> connection; it recognises the connection immediately and I can happily
> transfer files immediately. However my second laptop just will not work at
> 10Mbs. 100Mbs is not aproblem, but 10Mbps is simply not recognised.
> Initially I thought it might be the on-board network card, so I bought a
> netgear FA511 adaptor in the hope that that would work ok. It has exactly
> the same problem. Both the laptops are running Fedora-6 ( I would update the
> failing one if I thought that it would make a difference). The failing
> laptop simply does not see the 10Mbs signal.
>
> The laptop that works has a Broadcom coporation BCM4401-B0 adaptor. I tryed
> the failing laptop with the onboard SIS900 PCI fast ethernet adaptor and the
> netgear 10/1000 mbps fast ethernet adaptor (FA511). Both refuse to detect
> 10Mbps. I tryed setting the speed directly, but it did not seem to help
> (mii-tool). Has anyone got any ideas as to why this laptop does not detect
> 10Mbps (100Mbps is fine) or what I might try to fix the problem. I cant
> really believe that both these adaptors would fail especially the netgear
> one.
>
> Thanks for any help
>
> Phil

You may want try ethtool instead of mii-tool and see if that works.

Mikkel

Old 12-11-2007, 03:45 PM
phil prentice

Thanks, I will try ethtool. By the way I needed 10Mbps because I'm trying to
communicate with an old system which only supported 10. I just dont
understand why one laptop works fine and the other does not and was wondering
if there was some standard reason why this might be happening.

Thanks again
Phil

Old 12-11-2007, 04:00 PM
"William Hooper"

On Dec 11, 2007 12:12 PM, phil prentice <philp.cheer@tiscali.co.uk> wrote:
> Hi, the thing is; is that it works fine with one laptop, but not the other

One being Auto-MDIX (fixing my typo) and the other not could explain that.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ethernet_crossover_cable#Automatic_crossover_NICs

> (it
> is a cross-over cable that I am using).

If it is indeed a cross-over cable, maybe the device is expecting a
straight through cable?

--
William Hooper

Old 12-11-2007, 04:12 PM
phil prentice

Hi, the thing is; is that it works fine with one laptop, but not the other (it
is a cross-over cable that I am using).

Any more thoughts would be very welcome. I will try a few of the suggestions
first. Push comes to shove and I will use the other laptop, but I would
prefer to get the non-working one up and running first.
Thank you very much for your help

Phil

Old 12-11-2007, 05:28 PM
"Mikkel L. Ellertson"

phil prentice wrote:
> Thanks, I will try ethtool. By the way I needed 10Mbps because I'm trying to
> communicate with an old system which only supported 10. I just dont
> understand why one laptop works fine and the other does not and was wondering
> if there was some standard reason why this might be happening.
>
> Thanks again
> Phil

Different NICs handle auto-negotiation differently. Also, when you
are using a crossover cable, the two NICs may not be able to
auto-negotiate at all. It depends on the NIC. Results are usually
better when going through a hub, switch, or router. This is because
there is a signal from the hub/switch/router that the NIC can use to
detect the correct speed/duplex.

In some cases, the only choice it to manually set the speed/duplex
on both ends. Some combinations simply will not work if you do not.
I suspect that it because of different interpretations of the
specifications. This happens regardless of the OS involved. It
appears to depend on the default settings in the firmware of the NICs.

Mikkel
--

A: Because it messes up the order in which people normally read text.
Q: Why is top-posting a bad thing?

Old 12-11-2007, 05:32 PM
phil prentice

Thanks for that, tomorrow I will try using a non-cross-over cable and see if
that helps. Just one question though...if it was that..would it still
explain it working fine at 100Mbps? i.e. when i plug the same cable into the
other laptop it detects that with-out a problem(at 100Mbps). I will try it
though.

Thansk again
Phil

Old 12-11-2007, 09:42 PM
John Summerfield

phil prentice wrote:

Thanks for any help

I don't have any help, but I am very curious as to why you don't want to
go faster.

Perhaps he has a 10 Mbps switch?
Just guessing...

I'd be happy for Phil to speak for himself on this; your speculation is
no more useful than mine.

Old 12-11-2007, 09:45 PM
John Summerfield

phil prentice wrote:
Thanks, I will try ethtool. By the way I needed 10Mbps because I'm trying to
communicate with an old system which only supported 10. I just dont
understand why one laptop works fine and the other does not and was wondering
if there was some standard reason why this might be happening.

I would expect the switch to handle the difference. I've never noticed
my networks slowing down just because I plugged in a slower device, and
I would (I chucked a 10 Mbit switch when I found it wasn't 100 Mbit; the
difference cost a day's work).