Old 12-11-2007, 10:47 AM
phil prentice

Default Why cant I make my laptop ethernet cards recognise 10Mbs?

Hi
I have got two laptops. If I connect one of them up to a 10mbs ethernet
connection; it recognises the connection immediately and I can happily
transfer files immediately. However my second laptop just will not work at
10Mbs. 100Mbs is not aproblem, but 10Mbps is simply not recognised.
Initially I thought it might be the on-board network card, so I bought a
netgear FA511 adaptor in the hope that that would work ok. It has exactly
the same problem. Both the laptops are running Fedora-6 ( I would update the
failing one if I thought that it would make a difference). The failing
laptop simply does not see the 10Mbs signal.

The laptop that works has a Broadcom coporation BCM4401-B0 adaptor. I tryed
the failing laptop with the onboard SIS900 PCI fast ethernet adaptor and the
netgear 10/1000 mbps fast ethernet adaptor (FA511). Both refuse to detect
10Mbps. I tryed setting the speed directly, but it did not seem to help
(mii-tool). Has anyone got any ideas as to why this laptop does not detect
10Mbps (100Mbps is fine) or what I might try to fix the problem. I cant
really believe that both these adaptors would fail especially the netgear
one.

Thanks for any help

Phil