Old 12-11-2007, 10:03 AM

Old 12-11-2007, 01:23 PM

Old 12-11-2007, 07:50 PM

:>> I installed F8.

In "netstat -r" table I see
link-local
What is it?
Thanks
Andrea

What is the full output of the command?

here is it.
Destination Gateway Genmask Flags MSS Window irtt
Iface
link-local * 255.255.0.0 U 0 0
0 eth1

Andrea

Old 12-11-2007, 08:55 PM
Gijs

Default link-local

Andrea Bencini wrote:
> :>> I installed F8.
>>> In "netstat -r" table I see
>>> link-local
>>> What is it?
>>> Thanks
>>> Andrea
>>>
>> What is the full output of the command?
>
> here is it.
> Destination Gateway Genmask Flags MSS Window
> irtt Iface
> link-local * 255.255.0.0 U 0 0 0
> eth1
>
> Andrea

Hmm, let's try something else.
What's the output of :
ip route show

Not completely sure yet, but I would guess link-local would be your
local loopback (ie 127.0.0.1).
Why it would need a route to eth1 with mask 255.255.0.0... no idea.
But I'll be sure of it when you execute that command. It has a bit more
info on what the exact route is, on what device, etc.

Old 12-12-2007, 01:04 AM
Tim

On Tue, 2007-12-11 at 22:55 +0100, Gijs wrote:
> Not completely sure yet, but I would guess link-local would be your
> local loopback (ie 127.0.0.1).

No, link-local is the 169.254.x.y auto/random address scheme, for when
there's no DHCP server and the machines pick random unique addresses for
themselves, just so that they each have some IP address.

See: Bonjour or ZeroConf

It seems that Linux still has entries for it in the routing table, even
if you're not currently using that addressing scheme. It's probably
easier to leave them preset, so that no further configuration changes
need making should something connect up using one of those addresses, or
the local machine suddenly started using one, itself.

--
[tim@bigblack ~]$ uname -ipr
2.6.23.1-10.fc7 i686 i386

Using FC 4, 5, 6 & 7, plus CentOS 5. Today, it's FC7.

I read messages from the public lists.

Old 12-12-2007, 04:23 PM
"Andrea Bencini"

Destination Gateway Genmask Flags MSS Window
irtt Iface

link-local * 255.255.0.0 U 0 0 0
eth1

Andrea

Hmm, let's try something else.
What's the output of :
ip route show

Not completely sure yet, but I would guess link-local would be your
local loopback (ie 127.0.0.1).

I did "ip route show" command and I saw that the link-local is 169.254.0.0
Thanks
Andrea

Old 12-12-2007, 05:09 PM
Gijs

Andrea Bencini wrote:
>>> Destination Gateway Genmask Flags MSS Window
>>> irtt Iface
>>> link-local * 255.255.0.0 U 0 0 0
>>> eth1
>>>
>>> Andrea
>>>
>> Hmm, let's try something else.
>> What's the output of :
>> ip route show
>>
>> Not completely sure yet, but I would guess link-local would be your
>> local loopback (ie 127.0.0.1).
> I did "ip route show" command and I saw that the link-local is
> 169.254.0.0
> Thanks
> Andrea

Guess we both learned something today