Old 12-11-2007, 02:52 AM
"Jacques B."

Default root password timeout

On Dec 10, 2007 9:57 PM, Konstantin Svist <fry.kun@gmail.com> wrote:
> Where is the timeout setting for remembering the root password for
> various system-controlling applets?
>
> For instance, if you open system-config-network, it asks you for a
> password the first time - but then it remembers it for a few minutes.
> Within that time you can close & reopen the network config applet, and
> most other admin applets, as well. I'd like to make my computer timeout
> immediately, if possible.
>
> Also, is there a way to manually override the timeout (force it to time
> out on command)? E.g. if I need to quickly change a setting and then let
> someone else work on the computer.

I know in Gnome you can right click on the icon (badge/shield if I
recall correctly) in the top panel (by default that's where it is in
Gnome) and release root privileges immediately rather than waiting for
a timeout. Not on my Linux machine so can't check the other part of
your question.

Jacques B.

Old 12-11-2007, 02:54 AM
Tim

On Mon, 2007-12-10 at 18:57 -0800, Konstantin Svist wrote:
> Also, is there a way to manually override the timeout (force it to
> time out on command)? E.g. if I need to quickly change a setting and
> then let someone else work on the computer.
>
> BTW, I'm using KDE - but I suspect that these applets were written for
> gnome.

In Gnome, at least, an icon appears in the taskbar while you've got
temporary root credentials, and you can right-click and keep them
longer, or abandon them immediately.

It's ages since I've used KDE, have a look if something appears when you
authenticate as root to use a configuration GUI tool in KDE.

I seem to recall that you could configure something to do with PAM about
the timing, but only through hand editing configuration files. But it's
been years since I read anything about that.

--
[tim@bigblack ~]$ uname -ipr
2.6.23.1-10.fc7 i686 i386

Using FC 4, 5, 6 & 7, plus CentOS 5. Today, it's FC7.

I read messages from the public lists.

Old 12-11-2007, 04:02 PM
Tony Nelson

At 6:57 PM -0800 12/10/07, Konstantin Svist wrote:
>Where is the timeout setting for remembering the root password for
>various system-controlling applets?
>
>For instance, if you open system-config-network, it asks you for a
>password the first time - but then it remembers it for a few minutes.
>Within that time you can close & reopen the network config applet, and
>most other admin applets, as well. I'd like to make my computer timeout
>immediately, if possible.
>
>Also, is there a way to manually override the timeout (force it to time
>out on command)? E.g. if I need to quickly change a setting and then let
>someone else work on the computer.
>

>BTW, I'm using KDE - but I suspect that these applets were written for
>gnome.

I think it's pam_timestamp in /etc/pam.d/config-util. `man pam_timestamp`.