FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
» Video Reviews

» Linux Archive

Linux-archive is a website aiming to archive linux email lists and to make them easily accessible for linux users/developers.


» Sponsor

» Partners

» Sponsor

Go Back   Linux Archive > Redhat > Fedora User

 
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
 
Old 12-11-2007, 01:29 AM
"Lux Zhang"
 
Default segfault

Hi
there is an error message on my laptop HPnx5000 as
"hald-addon-acpi[2845]: segfault at 00000ffc eip 00aaf3ec esp bf956ba8
error 4"
My system is F7 Linux 2.6.23.8-34.fc7 #1 SMP

What does this error mean or any potential harm?

Yuan

--
fedora-list mailing list
fedora-list@redhat.com
To unsubscribe: https://www.redhat.com/mailman/listinfo/fedora-list
 
Old 12-11-2007, 01:41 AM
Les
 
Default segfault

On Tue, 2007-12-11 at 13:29 +1100, Lux Zhang wrote:
> Hi
> there is an error message on my laptop HPnx5000 as
> "hald-addon-acpi[2845]: segfault at 00000ffc eip 00aaf3ec esp bf956ba8
> error 4"
> My system is F7 Linux 2.6.23.8-34.fc7 #1 SMP
>
> What does this error mean or any potential harm?
>
> Yuan
>
Segfaults are not good. Typically it means the program attempted to
access memory it did not have permission to access, or in other words,
it crashed into something else in memory. In this case it was an addon
to hald which is the haldaemon, and the specific add on is the acpi
module, which is part of the power control stuff. If you have a laptop,
it might be that the particular power setup and bios is not compatible
with the format being sought by linux. If the sensor is sufficiently
sensitive, it may be generating repeated interrupt service calls and
eventually the interrupt code will furthur interrupt the system,
overflowing the segment allocated to the operating stack.

You will have to check out the sensors and by isolating one bit of code
at a time and seeing if it is fixed.

Regards,
Les H

--
fedora-list mailing list
fedora-list@redhat.com
To unsubscribe: https://www.redhat.com/mailman/listinfo/fedora-list
 
Old 09-19-2010, 03:00 AM
"Edward Z. Yang"
 
Default Segfault

We've had ns-slapd segfault on us recently twice; we don't have
a core dump (since the daemon script turns off core dumps, but
hopefully we'll have one next time it happens) and I was wondering
if anyone had seen this before:

ns-slapd[2725]: segfault at 10a3000010af ip 0000003d58c95785 sp 00007ff2abf04040 error 4 in libcrypto.so.0.9.8n[3d58c00000+15b000]
ns-slapd[2727]: segfault at 10a3000010af ip 0000003d58c95785 sp 00007ff2aab02040 error 4 in libcrypto.so.0.9.8n[3d58c00000+15b000]

Cheers,
Edward
--
389 users mailing list
389-users@lists.fedoraproject.org
https://admin.fedoraproject.org/mailman/listinfo/389-users
 
Old 09-20-2010, 01:19 PM
Rich Megginson
 
Default Segfault

Edward Z. Yang wrote:
> We've had ns-slapd segfault on us recently twice; we don't have
> a core dump (since the daemon script turns off core dumps, but
> hopefully we'll have one next time it happens) and I was wondering
> if anyone had seen this before:
>
> ns-slapd[2725]: segfault at 10a3000010af ip 0000003d58c95785 sp 00007ff2abf04040 error 4 in libcrypto.so.0.9.8n[3d58c00000+15b000]
> ns-slapd[2727]: segfault at 10a3000010af ip 0000003d58c95785 sp 00007ff2aab02040 error 4 in libcrypto.so.0.9.8n[3d58c00000+15b000]
>
I don't think ns-slapd even links against libcrypto. This is very strange.
> Cheers,
> Edward
> --
> 389 users mailing list
> 389-users@lists.fedoraproject.org
> https://admin.fedoraproject.org/mailman/listinfo/389-users
>

--
389 users mailing list
389-users@lists.fedoraproject.org
https://admin.fedoraproject.org/mailman/listinfo/389-users
 
Old 09-20-2010, 03:12 PM
"Edward Z. Yang"
 
Default Segfault

Excerpts from Rich Megginson's message of Mon Sep 20 09:19:50 -0400 2010:
> > ns-slapd[2725]: segfault at 10a3000010af ip 0000003d58c95785 sp 00007ff2abf04040 error 4 in libcrypto.so.0.9.8n[3d58c00000+15b000]
> > ns-slapd[2727]: segfault at 10a3000010af ip 0000003d58c95785 sp 00007ff2aab02040 error 4 in libcrypto.so.0.9.8n[3d58c00000+15b000]
> >
> I don't think ns-slapd even links against libcrypto. This is very strange.

We use GSSAPI auth for multimaster replication; perhaps that uses libcrypto?

Edward
--
389 users mailing list
389-users@lists.fedoraproject.org
https://admin.fedoraproject.org/mailman/listinfo/389-users
 
Old 09-20-2010, 03:37 PM
Rich Megginson
 
Default Segfault

Edward Z. Yang wrote:
> Excerpts from Rich Megginson's message of Mon Sep 20 09:19:50 -0400 2010:
>
>>> ns-slapd[2725]: segfault at 10a3000010af ip 0000003d58c95785 sp 00007ff2abf04040 error 4 in libcrypto.so.0.9.8n[3d58c00000+15b000]
>>> ns-slapd[2727]: segfault at 10a3000010af ip 0000003d58c95785 sp 00007ff2aab02040 error 4 in libcrypto.so.0.9.8n[3d58c00000+15b000]
>>>
>>>
>> I don't think ns-slapd even links against libcrypto. This is very strange.
>>
>
> We use GSSAPI auth for multimaster replication; perhaps that uses libcrypto?
>
> Edward
>
What platform? What version of 389-ds-base? Can you install the
389-ds-base-debuginfo package?
You will have to enable the directory server to produce a core dump.
1) edit /etc/sysconfig/dirsrv-instancename - add ulimit -c unlimited
2) sysctl -w fs.suid_dumpable=1

--
389 users mailing list
389-users@lists.fedoraproject.org
https://admin.fedoraproject.org/mailman/listinfo/389-users
 
Old 09-23-2010, 11:08 PM
"Edward Z. Yang"
 
Default Segfault

Excerpts from Rich Megginson's message of Mon Sep 20 11:37:32 -0400 2010:
> What platform? What version of 389-ds-base? Can you install the
> 389-ds-base-debuginfo package?

Platform: Fedora 11 (yes, I know it's EOL'd, we're migrating this weekend)

[root@pancake-bunny etc]# ns-slapd --version
389 Project
389-Directory/1.2.5 B2010.012.2024

> You will have to enable the directory server to produce a core dump.
> 1) edit /etc/sysconfig/dirsrv-instancename - add ulimit -c unlimited
> 2) sysctl -w fs.suid_dumpable=1

Done. We'll send a core dump your way the next time it happens.

Edward
--
389 users mailing list
389-users@lists.fedoraproject.org
https://admin.fedoraproject.org/mailman/listinfo/389-users
 
Old 09-30-2010, 04:06 PM
"Edward Z. Yang"
 
Default Segfault

Excerpts from Rich Megginson's message of Mon Sep 20 11:37:32 -0400 2010:
> What platform? What version of 389-ds-base? Can you install the
> 389-ds-base-debuginfo package?
> You will have to enable the directory server to produce a core dump.
> 1) edit /etc/sysconfig/dirsrv-instancename - add ulimit -c unlimited
> 2) sysctl -w fs.suid_dumpable=1

Hi Rich,

We've seen this error on 1.2.6 (F13) too; unfortunately, we're having
a bit of difficulty turning on core dumping.

ns-slapd[10129]: segfault at 74c1 ip 00007f637caff675 sp 00007f636e97acb0 error 4 in libcrypto.so.1.0.0a[7f637ca4b000+171000]

The end of our dirsrv sysconfig is:

ulimit -c unlimited
DAEMON_COREFILE_LIMIT=unlimited

and we've managed to get a core dump by sending a manual SEGV to the
ns-slapd process. I'm not sure why this particular segfault didn't get
a dump. Any insight?

Edward
--
389 users mailing list
389-users@lists.fedoraproject.org
https://admin.fedoraproject.org/mailman/listinfo/389-users
 
Old 09-30-2010, 04:16 PM
Rich Megginson
 
Default Segfault

Edward Z. Yang wrote:
> Excerpts from Rich Megginson's message of Mon Sep 20 11:37:32 -0400 2010:
>
>> What platform? What version of 389-ds-base? Can you install the
>> 389-ds-base-debuginfo package?
>> You will have to enable the directory server to produce a core dump.
>> 1) edit /etc/sysconfig/dirsrv-instancename - add ulimit -c unlimited
>> 2) sysctl -w fs.suid_dumpable=1
>>
>
> Hi Rich,
>
> We've seen this error on 1.2.6 (F13) too; unfortunately, we're having
> a bit of difficulty turning on core dumping.
>
> ns-slapd[10129]: segfault at 74c1 ip 00007f637caff675 sp 00007f636e97acb0 error 4 in libcrypto.so.1.0.0a[7f637ca4b000+171000]
>
> The end of our dirsrv sysconfig is:
>
> ulimit -c unlimited
> DAEMON_COREFILE_LIMIT=unlimited
>
> and we've managed to get a core dump by sending a manual SEGV to the
> ns-slapd process. I'm not sure why this particular segfault didn't get
> a dump. Any insight?
>
I just don't know - if you have

ulimit -c unlimited

and

sysctl -w fs.suid_dumpable=1

It should allow core dumps in /var/log/dirsrv/slapd-instancename


> Edward
>

--
389 users mailing list
389-users@lists.fedoraproject.org
https://admin.fedoraproject.org/mailman/listinfo/389-users
 
Old 10-08-2010, 06:56 PM
"Edward Z. Yang"
 
Default Segfault

After manually attaching GDB, we caught a segfault on one of the dirsrvs. The
server's name is old-faithful. Here's the backtrace (with one set of debugging
info missing; I can grab that and reload the core dump if you want me to.)
File a bug, or do you think it's an upstream bug? The core dump probably
contains sensitive info, so let us know if there are specific things you
want us to do with it.

(gdb) thread 10
[Switching to thread 10 (Thread 31829)]#0 getrn (lh=0x7fe34c004d20, data=0x7fe36ac45350, rhash=<value optimized out>)
at lhash.c:425
425 if (n1->hash != hash)
(gdb) bt
#0 getrn (lh=0x7fe34c004d20, data=0x7fe36ac45350, rhash=<value optimized out>) at lhash.c:425
#1 0x00007fe36a96d9d6 in lh_insert (lh=0x7fe34c004d20, data=0x7fe36ac45350) at lhash.c:189
#2 0x00007fe36a9700c9 in int_err_set_item (d=0x7fe36ac45350) at err.c:407
#3 0x00007fe36a96fa4c in err_load_strings (lib=0, str=0x7fe36ac45350) at err.c:676
#4 0x00007fe36a970fb1 in ERR_load_ERR_strings () at err.c:662
#5 0x00007fe36a971199 in ERR_load_crypto_strings () at err_all.c:113
#6 0x00007fe36022d857 in openssl_init (cryptoctx=0x7fe358006218) at pkinit_crypto_openssl.c:2350
#7 pkinit_init_plg_crypto (cryptoctx=0x7fe358006218) at pkinit_crypto_openssl.c:277
#8 0x00007fe360222b68 in pkinit_client_plugin_init (context=0x7fe358003830, blob=0x7fe3612b0e40) at pkinit_clnt.c:1362
#9 0x0000003ab92557eb in krb5_init_preauth_context (kcontext=0x7fe358003830) at preauth2.c:146
#10 0x0000003ab925628a in krb5_preauth_request_context_init (context=0x7fe358003830) at preauth2.c:305
#11 0x0000003ab9249ee6 in krb5_get_init_creds (context=0x7fe358003830, creds=0x7fe3612b13c0, client=0x7fe3580021c0,
prompter=0, prompter_data=0x0, start_time=0, in_tkt_service=0x0, options=0x7fe358002a50,
gak_fct=0x3ab924bac0 <krb5_get_as_key_keytab>, gak_data=0x7fe3580021a0, use_master=0x7fe3612b123c, as_reply=0x0)
at get_in_tkt.c:1167
#12 0x0000003ab924bcce in krb5_get_init_creds_keytab (context=0x7fe358003830, creds=0x7fe3612b13c0, client=0x7fe3580021c0,
arg_keytab=0x7fe3580021a0, start_time=0, in_tkt_service=0x0, options=0x0) at gic_keytab.c:109
#13 0x0000003c618602f7 in set_krb5_creds (authid=<value optimized out>, username=<value optimized out>,
passwd=<value optimized out>, realm=<value optimized out>, vals=0x7fe358002bd0) at ldap/servers/slapd/ldaputil.c:1483
#14 0x0000003c61860a95 in ldap_sasl_set_interact_vals (ld=0x7fe358002270,
bindid=0x7fe358003700 "uid=ldap/old-faithful.mit.edu,ou=People,dc=scripts,dc=mit,dc=ed u", creds=0x7fe358000d40 "",
mech=<value optimized out>, serverctrls=0x0, returnedctrls=0x7fe3612b1ab8, msgidp=0x0)
at ldap/servers/slapd/ldaputil.c:928
#15 slapd_ldap_sasl_interactive_bind (ld=0x7fe358002270,
bindid=0x7fe358003700 "uid=ldap/old-faithful.mit.edu,ou=People,dc=scripts,dc=mit,dc=ed u", creds=0x7fe358000d40 "",
mech=<value optimized out>, serverctrls=0x0, returnedctrls=0x7fe3612b1ab8, msgidp=0x0)
at ldap/servers/slapd/ldaputil.c:1044
#16 0x0000003c61860d17 in slapi_ldap_bind (ld=0x7fe358002270,
bindid=0x7fe358003700 "uid=ldap/old-faithful.mit.edu,ou=People,dc=scripts,dc=mit,dc=ed u", creds=<value optimized out>,
mech=<value optimized out>, serverctrls=0x0, returnedctrls=0x7fe3612b1ab8, timeout=0x0, msgidp=0x0)
at ldap/servers/slapd/ldaputil.c:751
#17 0x00007fe3685927db in bind_and_check_pwp (conn=0x1480220) at ldap/servers/plugins/replication/repl5_connection.c:1750
#18 conn_connect (conn=0x1480220) at ldap/servers/plugins/replication/repl5_connection.c:1136
#19 0x00007fe36859aee7 in acquire_replica (prp=0x1480380, prot_oid=<value optimized out>, ruv=0x7fe3612b1d20)
at ldap/servers/plugins/replication/repl5_protocol_util.c:168
#20 0x00007fe368595897 in repl5_inc_run (prp=0x1480380) at ldap/servers/plugins/replication/repl5_inc_protocol.c:828
#21 0x00007fe36859a3d5 in prot_thread_main (arg=0x14aedd0) at ldap/servers/plugins/replication/repl5_protocol.c:311
#22 0x0000003abee29593 in _pt_root (arg=0x14ad530) at ../../../mozilla/nsprpub/pr/src/pthreads/ptthread.c:228
#23 0x0000003ab6207761 in start_thread (arg=0x7fe3612b2710) at pthread_create.c:301
#24 0x0000003ab5ae151d in clone () at ../sysdeps/unix/sysv/linux/x86_64/clone.S:115

Cheers,
Edward
--
389 users mailing list
389-users@lists.fedoraproject.org
https://admin.fedoraproject.org/mailman/listinfo/389-users
 

Thread Tools




All times are GMT. The time now is 10:07 PM.

VBulletin, Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO ©2007, Crawlability, Inc.
Copyright 2007 - 2008, www.linux-archive.org