Old 12-11-2007, 12:13 AM
Yves Dorfsman

Default list subject

Hi,

I wonder if any of the list admin is listening here.

Would it be possible to have something like "[fedora-list]" added
automatically at the begining of the subject for messages on this list ?

Most other lists I follow have this feature and it help a lot when trying
to go through a lot of messages.

Thanks.

Yves.
----
Yves Dorfsman yves@zioup.com
http://www.SollerS.ca

Old 12-11-2007, 12:23 AM
Martin Marques

Yves Dorfsman escribió:

Hi,

I wonder if any of the list admin is listening here.

Would it be possible to have something like "[fedora-list]" added
automatically at the begining of the subject for messages on this list ?

Most other lists I follow have this feature and it help a lot when
trying to go through a lot of messages.

Use a filter, like the ones that come with most email clients, or just
use procmail.

Old 12-11-2007, 12:28 AM
Mike

I wonder if any of the list admin is listening here.

Would it be possible to have something like "[fedora-list]" added
automatically at the begining of the subject for messages on this list ?

Most other lists I follow have this feature and it help a lot when trying to
go through a lot of messages.

Thanks.

Yves.
----
Yves Dorfsman yves@zioup.com
http://www.SollerS.ca

While we're voting (ok I just decided we were voting , I'd like to vote
against [Fedora-list] or anything for that matter added to thte subject.
I filter all my mail lists to there own folder with a procmail recipe like
that below. Adding text to the subject only serves to reduce the amount
of "real" subject text that I see...

:0:
* ^X-loop:.*fedora-list@redhat.com
Fedora

Old 12-11-2007, 12:37 AM
Brian Gaynor

On Mon, 2007-12-10 at 18:28 -0700, Mike wrote:
> On Mon, 10 Dec 2007, Yves Dorfsman wrote:
>

> > Hi,
> >
> > I wonder if any of the list admin is listening here.
> >
> > Would it be possible to have something like "[fedora-list]" added
> > automatically at the begining of the subject for messages on this list ?
> >
> > Most other lists I follow have this feature and it help a lot when trying to
> > go through a lot of messages.
> >
> > Thanks.
> >
> > Yves.
> > ----
> > Yves Dorfsman yves@zioup.com
> > http://www.SollerS.ca
>
> While we're voting (ok I just decided we were voting , I'd like to vote
> against [Fedora-list] or anything for that matter added to thte subject.
> I filter all my mail lists to there own folder with a procmail recipe like
> that below. Adding text to the subject only serves to reduce the amount
> of "real" subject text that I see...

I completely agree - procmail already does all the filtering I need.
Screwing up the subject line is a very bad idea.

- Brian

Old 12-11-2007, 12:57 AM
Yves Dorfsman

Use a filter, like the ones that come with most email clients, or just use
procmail.

Everytime I have done that I end up letting the mailing list messages
accumulate in a folder and stop looking at them, that's why I like to have
them in my face, but with the mailing list subject so I know where it
comes from.

Oh well....

Old 12-11-2007, 01:01 AM
Todd Zullinger

Mike wrote:
> While we're voting (ok I just decided we were voting , I'd like to
> vote against [Fedora-list] or anything for that matter added to thte
> subject.

Yes, adding to the subject is quite pointless.

For anyone that wishes to make suggestions to the list admins, please
do so directly rather than sending such requests to the list. If the
admins think an idea has merit, they can toss it out here for some
discussion if they want.

> I filter all my mail lists to there own folder with a procmail
> recipe like that below. Adding text to the subject only serves to
> reduce the amount of "real" subject text that I see...
>

> :0:
> * ^X-loop:.*fedora-list@redhat.com
> Fedora

I can go you one better. This recipe will work for any list that
follows rfc 2919 and adds a List-Id header (nearly all mailman lists
and many others). I don't have to manually tweak list recipes very
often anymore.

# automagically handle nice standards conformant mailing lists.
# based on http://spacepants.org/conf/dot.procmailrc,
# where it was attributed to Jeff Waugh
:0
#* ^(List-Id|(X-)?Mailing-List|X-List):/.*
{
LISTID=$MATCH

:0
* LISTID ?? ^.*[<]/[^@>.]*
lists/$MATCH/

# the ^ * seems ineffective at removing spaces, best to be sure
# the initial pattern does this (e.g.: ^List-Id: +/.*)
:0
* LISTID ?? ^ */[^@.]*
lists/$MATCH/
}

This one will catch lists that use List-Post headers:

{
LISTPOST=$MATCH

:0
* LISTPOST ?? ^ */[^@]*
lists/$MATCH/
}

Old 12-11-2007, 02:13 AM
"Dean S. Messing"

:
: Everytime I have done that I end up letting the mailing list messages
: accumulate in a folder and stop looking at them, that's why I like to have
: them in my face, but with the mailing list subject so I know where it
: comes from.
:
: Oh well....

Use an awk script and a procmail pipe stanza to add the string
yourself and put the message in your inbox. Wouldn't that be more
reasonable?

Dean

Old 12-11-2007, 02:50 AM
Tim

On Mon, 2007-12-10 at 18:28 -0700, Mike wrote:
> While we're voting (ok I just decided we were voting , I'd like to
> vote against [Fedora-list] or anything for that matter added to thte
> subject.

Supported!

Adding [crap] to subjects just lengthens things, so there's less space
to read the subject line on many mailers. It gets worse when you end up
with message subject lines like:

[crap] re: [crap] re: [crap] re: list subject

Thanks to idiots configuring it to be added before the "re" instead of
after it, and idiot list mail software not checking for its presence
before adding it.

'tis also against the RFCs to mess with the subject line (beyond adding
re or fwd prefixes).

Threading is not done by subject lines, but adding [crap] to the does
mess things up for those lumbered with doing threading the wrong way.
Changing a subject line also indicates new breakaways to a thread,
someone adding [crap] introduces such breaks.

I mention that for two reasons. The recursive crap I've already
mentioned, and some people who seem to be adding [fedora] to the subject
lines in their replies to this list which doesn't have [fedora] crap in
it to begin with. I haven't looked into whether that's users doing it,
or they're replying through a stupid gateway.

Filtering should not be done by subject lines. That leads to private
messages getting filtered into list folders by clueless users, simply
because the keyword matched the filter. Who then get umpty about their
private messages being made public, when they're not, they just *think*
that they are. Or they reply to a private message, publicly, because
they're unaware of it and their mailer auto-messes-with message
addressing based on the folder they replied to.

Filtering/sorting should be done on other message headers. There's
plenty of options with this list to pick one that unabiguously
determines a message belongs with this list.

In short, it's a bad, stupid, and completely unnecessary thing to do.

--
[tim@bigblack ~]$ uname -ipr
2.6.23.1-10.fc7 i686 i386

Using FC 4, 5, 6 & 7, plus CentOS 5. Today, it's FC7.

I read messages from the public lists.

Old 12-11-2007, 03:38 AM
Les Mikesell

Tim wrote:

Filtering/sorting should be done on other message headers. There's
plenty of options with this list to pick one that unabiguously
determines a message belongs with this list.

But I don't want them filtered or sorted, I want to know by looking at
the group of new subject lines which came through lists.

In short, it's a bad, stupid, and completely unnecessary thing to do.

Works great on the large number of lists that do add a[listname] tag to
the subject line, [CentOS] for example.

--
Les Mikesell
lesmikesell@gmail.com