Old 12-10-2007, 10:59 PM
Martin Marques

Default NVidia on Compaq presario and video output

A few months ago I had the unfortunancy of not being able to work with
my Notebook and a projector which was connected to the video output.

The thing was that, or I had the LCD screen to see, or the I had to see
on the screen of the projector.

How can I make my NVidia card work with both? Do I have to configure a
dual head.

I'm on F7 with livna nvidia drivers.

Old 12-11-2007, 02:35 AM
Tim

On Mon, 2007-12-10 at 20:59 -0300, Martin Marques wrote:
> A few months ago I had the unfortunancy of not being able to work with
> my Notebook and a projector which was connected to the video output.
>
> The thing was that, or I had the LCD screen to see, or the I had to see
> on the screen of the projector.
>
> How can I make my NVidia card work with both? Do I have to configure a
> dual head.
>
> I'm on F7 with livna nvidia drivers.

More *precise* details are probably needed before someone can help you.

As a counter example, I can plug an analogue external monitor into my
Asus PRO31J F3JC laptop, which uses a nVidia GeForce Go 7300 graphics
chipset, and play with a Fn key to toggle between laptop display,
external display, or both at the same time. And that works without
making any changes to my Xorg configuration.

In this case, they both show the same display. But if I want them to
operate independently, then I do need play around with my X
configuration.

--
[tim@bigblack ~]$ uname -ipr
2.6.23.1-10.fc7 i686 i386

Using FC 4, 5, 6 & 7, plus CentOS 5. Today, it's FC7.

I read messages from the public lists.

Old 12-11-2007, 10:13 AM
Martin Marques

Tim escribió:

More *precise* details are probably needed before someone can help you.

Like?

It has a GeForce Go 6100, 15.4" display, and obviously the projector
works in a 4:3 ratio.

As a counter example, I can plug an analogue external monitor into my
Asus PRO31J F3JC laptop, which uses a nVidia GeForce Go 7300 graphics
chipset, and play with a Fn key to toggle between laptop display,
external display, or both at the same time. And that works without
making any changes to my Xorg configuration.

Tried that. Didn't work.

In this case, they both show the same display. But if I want them to
operate independently, then I do need play around with my X
configuration.

Well my Notebook has a wide screen, so I will have to use diferent
configurations.

Old 12-11-2007, 11:24 AM
Neal Becker

Martin Marques wrote:

> A few months ago I had the unfortunancy of not being able to work with
> my Notebook and a projector which was connected to the video output.
>
> The thing was that, or I had the LCD screen to see, or the I had to see
> on the screen of the projector.
>
> How can I make my NVidia card work with both? Do I have to configure a
> dual head.
>
> I'm on F7 with livna nvidia drivers.

You might want to enable the livna repo and then install the (closed) nvidia driver.

Old 12-11-2007, 11:44 AM
Martin Marques

Neal Becker escribió:
> Martin Marques wrote:
>>
>> I'm on F7 with livna nvidia drivers.
>>

> You might want to enable the livna repo and then install the (closed) nvidia driver.

And what did I say there? I already have the *closed* nvidia driver.

Old 12-11-2007, 11:44 AM
François Patte

Old 12-11-2007, 11:45 AM
Tim

Tim:
>> More *precise* details are probably needed before someone can help you.

Martin Marques:
> Like?
>
> It has a GeForce Go 6100, 15.4" display, and obviously the projector
> works in a 4:3 ratio.

Yes, that sort of information. Also which particular model laptop.
Presario is a range, rather than a specific model. Then others with the
same gear can chime into the conversation.

I'm not sure it is obvious it's 4:3, I imagine that there are 16:9
projectors, or ones that work in a variable manner.

>> In this case, they both show the same display. But if I want them to
>> operate independently, then I do need play around with my X
>> configuration.

> Well my Notebook has a wide screen, so I will have to use diferent
> configurations.

My laptop has a widescreen, the CRT monitor I plugged in simultaneously
did not. They worked together, alright. I can't properly recall if
things looked squashed, it was a while ago that I did this, but I don't
seem to remember it.

important to the thread.)

I read messages from the public lists.

Old 12-12-2007, 01:34 PM
Martin Marques

François Patte escribió:

Yes you will have to. There are 2 problems (as far as I can see on my
laptop (Toshiba qosmio)):

Did you configure xorg.conf by hand or did you use the nvidia-setting tool?

1- toggle LCD only, beamer Only, both. This is done with some Fn-F* key
and this must be done *before* loading the nvidia driver ie. you have to
do it during the "grub" sequence.

This didn't work for me. :-(

2- you must have a specific xorg.conf with twinview enabled.

Ahhh.

I'll send mine to night (here) and how I built a mean to switch from one
xorg.conf (lcd-panel) and xorg.conf (lcd+beamer) if you need it.

Please send it, and I'll test it with a monitor a have here.

Old 12-12-2007, 09:06 PM
François Patte

Martin Marques a écrit :
> François Patte escribió:
>>
>> Yes you will have to. There are 2 problems (as far as I can see on my
>> laptop (Toshiba qosmio)):
>
> Did you configure xorg.conf by hand or did you use the nvidia-setting tool?

By hand.

>> 1- toggle LCD only, beamer Only, both. This is done with some Fn-F* key
>> and this must be done *before* loading the nvidia driver ie. you have to
>> do it during the "grub" sequence.
>
> This didn't work for me. :-(

At least it should work during BIOS sequence... did you try to put a
looooooong time for grub before booting the default OS?

nvidia card gives priority to "CRT", the external display, so, if you
plug an external screen/beamer, the display is on this one by default.
Try to put a long time before booting in grub.conf then, once you get
the display on your external device toggle the Fn-F* keys. On my laptop
this is done using Fn-F5 and I get this cycle:

CRT-->LCD-->nothing-nowhere(?)-->LCD-->LCD+CRT (at last)

On dell laptop this is Fn-F8, on compaq, I don't know.

>> 2- you must have a specific xorg.conf with twinview enabled.
>
> Ahhh.

Here are the modified sections:

Section "Monitor"
Identifier "Monitor0"
ModelName "LCD Panel 1024x768"
HorizSync 31.5 - 50.0
VertRefresh 56.0 - 65.0
Option "dpms"
EndSection

Section "Device"
Identifier "Videocard0"
Driver "nvidia"
Option "TwinView" "True"
EndSection

Section "Screen"
Identifier "Screen0"
Device "Videocard0"
Monitor "Monitor0"
DefaultDepth 24
Option "ExactModeTimingsDVI" "TRUE"
Option "ModeValidation" "DFP-0: NoVesaModes"
Option "TwinViewOrientation" "Clone"
Option "MetaModes" "CRT-0: 1024x768, DFP-0: 1024x768"
Option "HorizSync" "CRT-0: 50-100; DFP-0: 31.5-50"
Option "VertRefresh" "CRT-0: 60-120; DFP-0: 60"
SubSection "Display"
Viewport 0 0
Depth 24
EndSubSection
EndSection

Comments.

1- You must be careful with HorizSync and VertRefresh values you could
destroy your panel with wrong values...

2- As I said, CRT stands for "external device" even if it is a LCD panel.

3- I put for CRT common ranges for beamers.

4- Option "TwinView" "True" does the job for 2 displays

5- Option "TwinViewOrientation" "Clone" means that you have exactly the
same display on both devices.

6- Other options are not specific to twinview...

7- Resolutions: I have a 1280x800 LCD panel on my laptop, I force both
devices to use a 1024x768 resolution because it is the standard for most
beamer. With these settings, I get a centered diplay on my laptop screen
with 1024x768 resolution, and a full display on the beamer and no parts
of both screens are hidden.

My laptop is a Toshiba qosmio F20 with NVIDIA GPU GeForce Go 6600 video
card.

Here is how I use this: I made two xorg.conf files in /etc/X11: one is
xorg.conf-normal, the other: xorg.conf-beamer (I think that what is
inside each is quite understable...)

I put two kernel entries in grub.conf:

title Fedora (2.6.23.1-49_1.fc8 normal)
root (hd0,0)
kernel /boot/vmlinuz-2.6.23.1-49_1.fc8 ro normal root=LABEL=/
rhgb quiet
initrd /boot/initrd-2.6.23.1-49_1.fc8.img
title Fedora (2.6.23.1-49_1.fc8 beamer)
root (hd0,0)
kernel /boot/vmlinuz-2.6.23.1-49_1.fc8 ro beamer root=LABEL=/
rhgb quiet
initrd /boot/initrd-2.6.23.1-49_1.fc8.img

During the boot sequence I toggle the arrow keys in order to stop the
grub default time. Once I get the display on the beamer (which set by
default for nvidia chips), I toggle my Fn-F5 keys upto get both display,
then I choose the grug entry with beamer option.

*And* in my /etc/rc.local file I added this:

ECRAN=`cat /proc/cmdline | cut -d" " -f2`
if [ "$ECRAN" = "beamer" ]; then
cp /etc/X11/xorg.conf-beamer /etc/X11/xorg.conf
else
cp /etc/X11/xorg.conf-normal /etc/X11/xorg.conf
fi

So, the "adequat" xorg.conf file is used....

That's it.

Hope this help.

- --
François Patte
UFR de mathématiques et informatique
Université Paris Descartes
45, rue des Saints Pères
F-75270 Paris Cedex 06
Tél. +33 (0)1 44 55 35 61

Old 12-12-2007, 09:17 PM
"Lonni J Friedman"

On 12/12/07, François Patte <francois.patte@math-info.univ-paris5.fr> wrote:

> Martin Marques a écrit :
> > François Patte escribió:
> >>
> >> Yes you will have to. There are 2 problems (as far as I can see on my
> >> laptop (Toshiba qosmio)):
> >
> > Did you configure xorg.conf by hand or did you use the nvidia-setting tool?
>
> By hand.
>

> >> 1- toggle LCD only, beamer Only, both. This is done with some Fn-F* key
> >> and this must be done *before* loading the nvidia driver ie. you have to
> >> do it during the "grub" sequence.
> >
> > This didn't work for me. :-(
>
> At least it should work during BIOS sequence... did you try to put a
> looooooong time for grub before booting the default OS?
>
> nvidia card gives priority to "CRT", the external display, so, if you
> plug an external screen/beamer, the display is on this one by default.

That was the case for the nvidia X driver, however never for the
hardware. And its no longer accurate for the driver. For many
notebooks, the internal DFP is given priority.

> Try to put a long time before booting in grub.conf then, once you get
> the display on your external device toggle the Fn-F* keys. On my laptop
> this is done using Fn-F5 and I get this cycle:
>
> CRT-->LCD-->nothing-nowhere(?)-->LCD-->LCD+CRT (at last)
>
> On dell laptop this is Fn-F8, on compaq, I don't know.
>

> >> 2- you must have a specific xorg.conf with twinview enabled.
> >
> > Ahhh.
>
> Here are the modified sections:
>
> Section "Monitor"
> Identifier "Monitor0"
> ModelName "LCD Panel 1024x768"
> HorizSync 31.5 - 50.0
> VertRefresh 56.0 - 65.0
> Option "dpms"
> EndSection
>
> Section "Device"
> Identifier "Videocard0"
> Driver "nvidia"
> Option "TwinView" "True"
> EndSection
>
> Section "Screen"
> Identifier "Screen0"
> Device "Videocard0"
> Monitor "Monitor0"
> DefaultDepth 24
> Option "ExactModeTimingsDVI" "TRUE"
> Option "ModeValidation" "DFP-0: NoVesaModes"
> Option "TwinViewOrientation" "Clone"
> Option "MetaModes" "CRT-0: 1024x768, DFP-0: 1024x768"
> Option "HorizSync" "CRT-0: 50-100; DFP-0: 31.5-50"
> Option "VertRefresh" "CRT-0: 60-120; DFP-0: 60"
> SubSection "Display"
> Viewport 0 0
> Depth 24
> EndSubSection
> EndSection
>

> Comments.
>
> 1- You must be careful with HorizSync and VertRefresh values you could
> destroy your panel with wrong values...

Not with the nvidia driver, unless the EDID in the panel is wrong.

> 2- As I said, CRT stands for "external device" even if it is a LCD panel.

I'm not sure where you got this from, but its not true.