Old 12-12-2007, 10:00 PM
François Patte

Default NVidia on Compaq presario and video output

Old 12-13-2007, 12:14 AM
"Lonni J Friedman"

On 12/12/07, François Patte <francois.patte@math-info.univ-paris5.fr> wrote:

> Lonni J Friedman a écrit :
>
> >> nvidia card gives priority to "CRT", the external display, so, if you
> >
> > That was the case for the nvidia X driver, however never for the
> > hardware. And its no longer accurate for the driver. For many
> > notebooks, the internal DFP is given priority.
>
> Nvidia readme:
>
> <cite>
>
> All mobile NVIDIA chips support TwinView. TwinView on a laptop can be
> configured in the same way as on a desktop machine (please refer to
> Appendix G); note that in a TwinView configuration using the laptop's
> internal flat panel and an external CRT, the CRT is the primary display
> device (specify its HorizSync and VertRefresh in the Monitor section of
> your X config file) and the flat panel is the secondary display device
> (specify its HorizSync andVertRefresh through the SecondMonitorHorizSync
> and SecondMonitorVertRefreshoptions).
>
> </cite>

Sure, but that quote has no relevance to what you were discussing originally.

> > I'm not sure where you got this from, but its not true.
>
> Maybe no longer true, if your laptop is new (mine is one year old) and
> has a dvi connector. We can read in Nvidia readme:
>
> <cite>
>
> NOTE: anything attached to a 15 pin VGA connector is regarded by the
> driver as a CRT. "DFP" should only be used to refer to digital flat
> panels connected via a DVI port.
>
> </cite>

Again, that has nothing to do with your original statement. You've
proven that you can read the README, but you apparently don't
understand it very well.

Old 12-13-2007, 01:23 AM
Tony Nelson

At 5:14 PM -0800 12/12/07, Lonni J Friedman wrote:

>> > That was the case for the nvidia X driver, however never for the
>> > hardware. And its no longer accurate for the driver. For many
>> > notebooks, the internal DFP is given priority.
>>
>> Nvidia readme:
>>
>> <cite>
>>
>> All mobile NVIDIA chips support TwinView. TwinView on a laptop can be
>> configured in the same way as on a desktop machine (please refer to
>> Appendix G); note that in a TwinView configuration using the laptop's
>> internal flat panel and an external CRT, the CRT is the primary display
>> device (specify its HorizSync and VertRefresh in the Monitor section of
>> your X config file) and the flat panel is the secondary display device
>> (specify its HorizSync andVertRefresh through the SecondMonitorHorizSync
>> and SecondMonitorVertRefreshoptions).
>>
>> </cite>
>
>Sure, but that quote has no relevance to what you were discussing originally.
>

>> > I'm not sure where you got this from, but its not true.
>>
>> Maybe no longer true, if your laptop is new (mine is one year old) and
>> has a dvi connector. We can read in Nvidia readme:
>>
>> <cite>
>>
>> NOTE: anything attached to a 15 pin VGA connector is regarded by the
>> driver as a CRT. "DFP" should only be used to refer to digital flat
>> panels connected via a DVI port.
>>
>> </cite>
>
>Again, that has nothing to do with your original statement. You've
>proven that you can read the README, but you apparently don't
>understand it very well.

Proof? Support your contention with facts.

Old 12-13-2007, 07:01 AM
François Patte

Lonni J Friedman a écrit :

>>> That was the case for the nvidia X driver, however never for the
>>> hardware. And its no longer accurate for the driver. For many
>>> notebooks, the internal DFP is given priority.
>> Nvidia readme:
>>
>> <cite>
>>
>> All mobile NVIDIA chips support TwinView. TwinView on a laptop can be
>> configured in the same way as on a desktop machine (please refer to
>> Appendix G); note that in a TwinView configuration using the laptop's
>> internal flat panel and an external CRT, the CRT is the primary display
>> device (specify its HorizSync and VertRefresh in the Monitor section of
>> your X config file) and the flat panel is the secondary display device
>> (specify its HorizSync andVertRefresh through the SecondMonitorHorizSync
>> and SecondMonitorVertRefreshoptions).
>>
>> </cite>
>
> Sure, but that quote has no relevance to what you were discussing originally.

I just said that when I plug an external monitor (whatever LCD or CRT)
on the VGA plug of my laptop, the display is on this external display
and *not* on the LCD panel of the laptop at boot time and I have to
switch the display (to LCD or LCD+CRT) using the keys (Fn-F5 on
Toshiba). And it is always like this (Toshiba, Dell, Sony). But you
maybe have another meaning for "primary".

>>> I'm not sure where you got this from, but its not true.
>> Maybe no longer true, if your laptop is new (mine is one year old) and
>> has a dvi connector. We can read in Nvidia readme:
>>
>> <cite>
>>
>> NOTE: anything attached to a 15 pin VGA connector is regarded by the
>> driver as a CRT. "DFP" should only be used to refer to digital flat
>> panels connected via a DVI port.
>>
>> </cite>
>
> Again, that has nothing to do with your original statement. You've
> proven that you can read the README, but you apparently don't
> understand it very well.

I just wanted to say, using this statement (and it works like this for
me since fc4), that in the xorg.conf file the values put on the line
"CRT" are for the configuration of the external monitor whatever it is,
LCD or CRT or beamer.

You maybe have another interpretation... by experience, mine is working.

- --
François Patte
UFR de mathématiques et informatique
Université Paris Descartes
Tél. +33 (0)1 44 55 35 61

Old 12-13-2007, 02:27 PM
"Lonni J Friedman"

On 12/13/07, François Patte <francois.patte@math-info.univ-paris5.fr> wrote:

> Lonni J Friedman a écrit :

> >> Nvidia readme:
> >>
> >> <cite>
> >>
> >> All mobile NVIDIA chips support TwinView. TwinView on a laptop can be
> >> configured in the same way as on a desktop machine (please refer to
> >> Appendix G); note that in a TwinView configuration using the laptop's
> >> internal flat panel and an external CRT, the CRT is the primary display
> >> device (specify its HorizSync and VertRefresh in the Monitor section of
> >> your X config file) and the flat panel is the secondary display device
> >> (specify its HorizSync andVertRefresh through the SecondMonitorHorizSync
> >> and SecondMonitorVertRefreshoptions).
> >>
> >> </cite>
> >
> > Sure, but that quote has no relevance to what you were discussing originally.
>
> I just said that when I plug an external monitor (whatever LCD or CRT)
> on the VGA plug of my laptop, the display is on this external display
> and *not* on the LCD panel of the laptop at boot time and I have to
> switch the display (to LCD or LCD+CRT) using the keys (Fn-F5 on
> Toshiba). And it is always like this (Toshiba, Dell, Sony). But you
> maybe have another meaning for "primary".

Again, you're confusing hardware behavior & driver behavior. The two
are not necessarily the same.

> >> Maybe no longer true, if your laptop is new (mine is one year old) and
> >> has a dvi connector. We can read in Nvidia readme:
> >>
> >> <cite>
> >>
> >> NOTE: anything attached to a 15 pin VGA connector is regarded by the
> >> driver as a CRT. "DFP" should only be used to refer to digital flat
> >> panels connected via a DVI port.
> >>
> >> </cite>
> >
> > Again, that has nothing to do with your original statement. You've
> > proven that you can read the README, but you apparently don't
> > understand it very well.
>
> I just wanted to say, using this statement (and it works like this for
> me since fc4), that in the xorg.conf file the values put on the line
> "CRT" are for the configuration of the external monitor whatever it is,
> LCD or CRT or beamer.

And this is incorrect. If the external display is a DFP, its going to
be treated as such. An external display device is not always a CRT.

Old 12-13-2007, 02:51 PM
François Patte

Lonni J Friedman a écrit :

> [...]
^^^^^^^^^^ Is this driver?

^^^^^^^^^^^^^ Is this driver?

> Again, you're confusing hardware behavior & driver behavior. The two
> are not necessarily the same.

Your remark is irrelevant! (See above)

>>> Again, that has nothing to do with your original statement. You've
>>> proven that you can read the README, but you apparently don't
>>> understand it very well.
>> I just wanted to say, using this statement (and it works like this for
>> me since fc4), that in the xorg.conf file the values put on the line
>> "CRT" are for the configuration of the external monitor whatever it is,
>> LCD or CRT or beamer.
>
> And this is incorrect. If the external display is a DFP, its going to
> be treated as such. An external display device is not always a CRT.

The external device connected to a VGA port is "considered" (not "is")
as a CRT. You would have to explain why a LCD connected to the VGA port
complain that the freq given for the CRT in xorg.conf are out of range,
if you give wrong values, and works smoothly if you give the correct ones.

- --