Old 12-10-2007, 10:38 PM
Karl Larsen

Default Possible Rooktit (was It Works fine)

Steven Stern wrote:

Karl Larsen wrote:

Jeff Krebs wrote:

* Karl Larsen (k5di@zianet.com) wrote:

After so many problems seen day after day it is nice I think to
hear about a success.

F8 was installed from a DVD and came right up with a video problem
cuzz I have a Nvidia video card. Fixed in 5 minutes with Nvidia
binary. Then audio problems and found pulse audio the problem. I
was told to yum remove and I did and audio is fine again.

I have had all the updates and they appear to be real Updates!
So today December 10 2007 my F8 is working just fine. I have just
one problem. I

I will mark this down on my calendar, and ensure that it's engraved
in stone to pass down to historians. Such a feat was certainly
unthinkable

seem to have a rootkit somewhere in the /home/karl/ directories. I
have RTK and this afternoon I plan to find the thing, or discover I
have no rootkit but rather another kind of problem.

Karl

How do you know that you have a root kit?

Jeff Krebs

I really do not know Jeff. But often, while using Firefox I get an
attack that puts a cross hatch screen on and removes the keyboard and
mouse, and puts a single tone out the audio channels and only a hard
reset will clear it.

This is how I think a rootkit would work and so I got rkhunter and
right now I am trying to get it to check /home but have not found out
how to do this :-)

Karl

The rootkits I've seen are very quiet. They survive by NOT doing
noticeable things. The quietly install servers or bots in obscure
corners of the system in hidden directories. What you have sounds
more like a cat playing in the wires under the desk. (I have personal
experience with that, too).

What does chkrootkit show?

I don't have chkrootkit but what I have is hard to get working as I
wanted to check /home. I can't seem to make that work. It did check /usr
and found some "warning" but the FAQ says they do not mean anything.

My cat stays out of my office, most of the time.

Karl

--

Karl F. Larsen, AKA K5DI
Linux User

Old 12-10-2007, 10:52 PM
Karl Larsen

Karl Larsen wrote:

Steven Stern wrote:

Karl Larsen wrote:

Jeff Krebs wrote:

[...]

I yummed chkrootkit and ran it and it found no rootkit so it is not
the problem.

So onward to other causes.

Karl

Old 12-11-2007, 02:24 AM
Tim

On Mon, 2007-12-10 at 16:52 -0700, Karl Larsen wrote:
> I yummed chkrootkit and ran it and it found no rootkit so it is not
> the problem.
>
> So onward to other causes.

*IT'S* the keyboard. Problems like this are invariably down to
something the user was doing with the keyboard at the time. Get rid of
your keyboard. But sometimes *IT'S* the mouse, better get rid of that,
too.

--
[tim@bigblack ~]$ uname -ipr
2.6.23.1-10.fc7 i686 i386

Using FC 4, 5, 6 & 7, plus CentOS 5. Today, it's FC7.

I read messages from the public lists.

Old 12-11-2007, 06:54 AM
kalinix

On Tue, 2007-12-11 at 13:54 +1030, Tim wrote:
> On Mon, 2007-12-10 at 16:52 -0700, Karl Larsen wrote:
> > I yummed chkrootkit and ran it and it found no rootkit so it is not
> > the problem.
> >
> > So onward to other causes.
>
> *IT'S* the keyboard. Problems like this are invariably down to
> something the user was doing with the keyboard at the time. Get rid of
> your keyboard. But sometimes *IT'S* the mouse, better get rid of that,
> too.
>
> --
> [tim@bigblack ~]$ uname -ipr
> 2.6.23.1-10.fc7 i686 i386
>
> Using FC 4, 5, 6 & 7, plus CentOS 5. Today, it's FC7.

And if it's not the keyboard, nor the mouse then definitely is your
computer. You should get rid of that too...

Calin

Old 12-11-2007, 11:44 AM
Karl Larsen