Linux Archive

Linux Archive (http://www.linux-archive.org/)
-   Fedora User (http://www.linux-archive.org/fedora-user/)
-   -   It Works fine... System lockups with F8 and Firefox (http://www.linux-archive.org/fedora-user/16693-works-fine-system-lockups-f8-firefox.html)

Jeff Krebs 12-10-2007 10:15 PM

It Works fine... System lockups with F8 and Firefox
 
* Karl Larsen (k5di@zianet.com) wrote:
> Jeff Krebs wrote:
>> * Karl Larsen (k5di@zianet.com) wrote:
>>
>>> After so many problems seen day after day it is nice I think to hear
>>> about a success.
>>>
>>> F8 was installed from a DVD and came right up with a video problem cuzz I
>>> have a Nvidia video card. Fixed in 5 minutes with Nvidia binary. Then
>>> audio problems and found pulse audio the problem. I was told to yum
>>> remove and I did and audio is fine again.
>>>
>>> I have had all the updates and they appear to be real Updates! So
>>> today December 10 2007 my F8 is working just fine. I have just one
>>> problem. I
>>
>> I will mark this down on my calendar, and ensure that it's engraved in
>> stone to pass down to historians. Such a feat was certainly unthinkable
>> :)
>>
>>
>>> seem to have a rootkit somewhere in the /home/karl/ directories. I have
>>> RTK and this afternoon I plan to find the thing, or discover I have no
>>> rootkit but rather another kind of problem.
>>>
>>> Karl
>>>
>>
>> How do you know that you have a root kit?
>>
>>
>> Jeff Krebs
>>
>>
> I really do not know Jeff. But often, while using Firefox I get an
> attack that puts a cross hatch screen on and removes the keyboard and
> mouse, and puts a single tone out the audio channels and only a hard reset
> will clear it.
>
> This is how I think a rootkit would work and so I got rkhunter and right
> now I am trying to get it to check /home but have not found out how to do
> this :-)
>
> Karl
>

I don't think that's a rootkit.

Sounds like a nasty lockup to me.

Have you updated your system since initial install? My experience with
lockups usually involves upgrading the kernel; either things go screwey
after a kernel update (not common), or things are haywire until an
update.

You could also have a hardware issue too. Memory can be checked with
"memtest86". Motherboards? Dunno. Could be a bios update is needed.

Oh, and let's change the topic a bit...

Jeff Krebs

--
fedora-list mailing list
fedora-list@redhat.com
To unsubscribe: https://www.redhat.com/mailman/listinfo/fedora-list

Karl Larsen 12-10-2007 10:28 PM

It Works fine... System lockups with F8 and Firefox
 
Jeff Krebs wrote:

* Karl Larsen (k5di@zianet.com) wrote:


Jeff Krebs wrote:


* Karl Larsen (k5di@zianet.com) wrote:


After so many problems seen day after day it is nice I think to hear
about a success.


F8 was installed from a DVD and came right up with a video problem cuzz I
have a Nvidia video card. Fixed in 5 minutes with Nvidia binary. Then
audio problems and found pulse audio the problem. I was told to yum
remove and I did and audio is fine again.


I have had all the updates and they appear to be real Updates! So
today December 10 2007 my F8 is working just fine. I have just one
problem. I

I will mark this down on my calendar, and ensure that it's engraved in
stone to pass down to historians. Such a feat was certainly unthinkable
:)




seem to have a rootkit somewhere in the /home/karl/ directories. I have
RTK and this afternoon I plan to find the thing, or discover I have no
rootkit but rather another kind of problem.


Karl



How do you know that you have a root kit?


Jeff Krebs



I really do not know Jeff. But often, while using Firefox I get an
attack that puts a cross hatch screen on and removes the keyboard and
mouse, and puts a single tone out the audio channels and only a hard reset
will clear it.


This is how I think a rootkit would work and so I got rkhunter and right
now I am trying to get it to check /home but have not found out how to do
this :-)


Karl




I don't think that's a rootkit.

Sounds like a nasty lockup to me.

Have you updated your system since initial install? My experience with
lockups usually involves upgrading the kernel; either things go screwey
after a kernel update (not common), or things are haywire until an
update.


You could also have a hardware issue too. Memory can be checked with
"memtest86". Motherboards? Dunno. Could be a bios update is needed.


Oh, and let's change the topic a bit...

Jeff Krebs


Thanks for the Subject change! I am at a loss to explain the
problem. But I had an attack while just on F8 without the F7 old my
login I have been using. So I think now no rootkit.


It could be xorg or it could be a lot of things. But will plan to
continue to trace it down. It is quite a drag.


Karl
PS: will check the things you mention right now.



--

Karl F. Larsen, AKA K5DI
Linux User
#450462 http://counter.li.org.
GPG DF28 8F18 94F8 D5C6 9E44 163F 7FD1 3D06 C325 DA40

--
fedora-list mailing list
fedora-list@redhat.com
To unsubscribe: https://www.redhat.com/mailman/listinfo/fedora-list

Steve Searle 12-10-2007 11:31 PM

It Works fine... System lockups with F8 and Firefox
 
Around 11:28pm on Monday, December 10, 2007 (UK time), Karl Larsen scrawled:

> Thanks for the Subject change!

But why didn't you do it?

> It could be xorg or it could be a lot of things. But will plan to
> continue to trace it down. It is quite a drag.

Is this the machine you run a proprietry video driver on?

Steve

--

A: Because it messes up the order in which people normally read text.
Q: Why is top-posting a bad thing?

00:29:52 up 72 days, 11:26, 1 user, load average: 0.01, 0.06, 0.05
--
fedora-list mailing list
fedora-list@redhat.com
To unsubscribe: https://www.redhat.com/mailman/listinfo/fedora-list

Karl Larsen 12-11-2007 12:32 AM

It Works fine... System lockups with F8 and Firefox
 
Steve Searle wrote:

Around 11:28pm on Monday, December 10, 2007 (UK time), Karl Larsen scrawled:


Thanks for the Subject change!



But why didn't you do it?


It could be xorg or it could be a lot of things. But will plan to
continue to trace it down. It is quite a drag.



Is this the machine you run a proprietry video driver on?

Steve


I don't run anything proprietry but the things I bought with the
computer kit I bought a few months ago. If you look at the whole
computer it is quite small. I like it that way.


If I do a lspci you see Nvidia everywhere:

[root@k5di ~]# lspci
00:00.0 RAM memory: nVidia Corporation C51 Host Bridge (rev a2)
00:00.1 RAM memory: nVidia Corporation C51 Memory Controller 0 (rev a2)
00:00.2 RAM memory: nVidia Corporation C51 Memory Controller 1 (rev a2)
00:00.3 RAM memory: nVidia Corporation C51 Memory Controller 5 (rev a2)
00:00.4 RAM memory: nVidia Corporation C51 Memory Controller 4 (rev a2)
00:00.5 RAM memory: nVidia Corporation C51 Host Bridge (rev a2)
00:00.6 RAM memory: nVidia Corporation C51 Memory Controller 3 (rev a2)
00:00.7 RAM memory: nVidia Corporation C51 Memory Controller 2 (rev a2)
00:03.0 PCI bridge: nVidia Corporation C51 PCI Express Bridge (rev a1)
00:04.0 PCI bridge: nVidia Corporation C51 PCI Express Bridge (rev a1)
00:05.0 VGA compatible controller: nVidia Corporation C51G [GeForce
6100] (rev a2)

00:09.0 RAM memory: nVidia Corporation MCP51 Host Bridge (rev a2)
00:0a.0 ISA bridge: nVidia Corporation MCP51 LPC Bridge (rev a3)
00:0a.1 SMBus: nVidia Corporation MCP51 SMBus (rev a3)
00:0a.2 RAM memory: nVidia Corporation MCP51 Memory Controller 0 (rev a3)
00:0b.0 USB Controller: nVidia Corporation MCP51 USB Controller (rev a3)
00:0b.1 USB Controller: nVidia Corporation MCP51 USB Controller (rev a3)
00:0d.0 IDE interface: nVidia Corporation MCP51 IDE (rev a1)
00:0e.0 IDE interface: nVidia Corporation MCP51 Serial ATA Controller
(rev a1)

00:10.0 PCI bridge: nVidia Corporation MCP51 PCI Bridge (rev a2)
00:10.2 Multimedia audio controller: nVidia Corporation MCP51 AC97 Audio
Controller (rev a2)

00:14.0 Bridge: nVidia Corporation MCP51 Ethernet Controller (rev a3)
00:18.0 Host bridge: Advanced Micro Devices [AMD] K8 [Athlon64/Opteron]
HyperTransport Technology Configuration
00:18.1 Host bridge: Advanced Micro Devices [AMD] K8 [Athlon64/Opteron]
Address Map
00:18.2 Host bridge: Advanced Micro Devices [AMD] K8 [Athlon64/Opteron]
DRAM Controller
00:18.3 Host bridge: Advanced Micro Devices [AMD] K8 [Athlon64/Opteron]
Miscellaneous Control

[root@k5di ~]#

So it may be all or part of this.


Karl


--

Karl F. Larsen, AKA K5DI
Linux User
#450462 http://counter.li.org.
GPG DF28 8F18 94F8 D5C6 9E44 163F 7FD1 3D06 C325 DA40

--
fedora-list mailing list
fedora-list@redhat.com
To unsubscribe: https://www.redhat.com/mailman/listinfo/fedora-list

Steve Searle 12-11-2007 07:21 PM

It Works fine... System lockups with F8 and Firefox
 
Around 01:32am on Tuesday, December 11, 2007 (UK time), Karl Larsen scrawled:

> >Is this the machine you run a proprietry video driver on?
> >
> >Steve
> >
> >
> I don't run anything proprietry but the things I bought with the
> computer kit I bought a few months ago. If you look at the whole

Isn't this the machine that you have frequently mentioned that you run
an "Nvidia bash file" each time there is a kernal update?

Steve

--

A: Because it messes up the order in which people normally read text.
Q: Why is top-posting a bad thing?

20:19:01 up 73 days, 7:15, 1 user, load average: 0.07, 0.16, 0.11
--
fedora-list mailing list
fedora-list@redhat.com
To unsubscribe: https://www.redhat.com/mailman/listinfo/fedora-list

Karl Larsen 12-11-2007 07:35 PM

It Works fine... System lockups with F8 and Firefox
 
Steve Searle wrote:

Around 01:32am on Tuesday, December 11, 2007 (UK time), Karl Larsen scrawled:



Is this the machine you run a proprietry video driver on?

Steve



I don't run anything proprietry but the things I bought with the
computer kit I bought a few months ago. If you look at the whole



Isn't this the machine that you have frequently mentioned that you run
an "Nvidia bash file" each time there is a kernal update?

Steve



Yes that is correct. It seems to work just fine.

Karl


--

Karl F. Larsen, AKA K5DI
Linux User
#450462 http://counter.li.org.
GPG DF28 8F18 94F8 D5C6 9E44 163F 7FD1 3D06 C325 DA40

--
fedora-list mailing list
fedora-list@redhat.com
To unsubscribe: https://www.redhat.com/mailman/listinfo/fedora-list

Steve Searle 12-11-2007 11:17 PM

It Works fine... System lockups with F8 and Firefox
 
Around 08:35pm on Tuesday, December 11, 2007 (UK time), Karl Larsen scrawled:

> >Isn't this the machine that you have frequently mentioned that you run
> >an "Nvidia bash file" each time there is a kernal update?
> >
> Yes that is correct. It seems to work just fine.

It works fine, or it locks up?

The video driver you are using is a proprietry one, not an open source
one.

Steve

--

A: Because it messes up the order in which people normally read text.
Q: Why is top-posting a bad thing?

00:15:18 up 73 days, 11:11, 1 user, load average: 0.33, 0.08, 0.02
--
fedora-list mailing list
fedora-list@redhat.com
To unsubscribe: https://www.redhat.com/mailman/listinfo/fedora-list

Karl Larsen 12-11-2007 11:29 PM

It Works fine... System lockups with F8 and Firefox
 
Steve Searle wrote:

Around 08:35pm on Tuesday, December 11, 2007 (UK time), Karl Larsen scrawled:



Isn't this the machine that you have frequently mentioned that you run
an "Nvidia bash file" each time there is a kernal update?



Yes that is correct. It seems to work just fine.



It works fine, or it locks up?

The video driver you are using is a proprietry one, not an open source
one.

Steve


Steve your just a old man that is still pushing the really stupid
idea that if it was not invented at Fedora it is crap. This binary with
no source-code comes from Nvidia just like the one you get if your using
Windows. Both users need this "driver" software to make their Nvidia
video card work.


It works just fine and a person on this list put me in touch with
it. The things Fedora try to do to keep up an rpm with Nvidia software
coming with kernel updates is a silly way to do things. The binary I use
works on ALL Linux. This is what the people at Nvidia want.


You seem to think all drivers must have source code. I think that is
stupid.


Karl


--

Karl F. Larsen, AKA K5DI
Linux User
#450462 http://counter.li.org.
GPG DF28 8F18 94F8 D5C6 9E44 163F 7FD1 3D06 C325 DA40

--
fedora-list mailing list
fedora-list@redhat.com
To unsubscribe: https://www.redhat.com/mailman/listinfo/fedora-list

"Jonathan Underwood" 12-11-2007 11:43 PM

It Works fine... System lockups with F8 and Firefox
 
On 12/12/2007, Karl Larsen <k5di@zianet.com> wrote:
> Steve your just a old man that is still pushing the really stupid
> idea that if it was not invented at Fedora it is crap. This binary with
> no source-code comes from Nvidia just like the one you get if your using
> Windows. Both users need this "driver" software to make their Nvidia
> video card work.
>
> It works just fine and a person on this list put me in touch with
> it. The things Fedora try to do to keep up an rpm with Nvidia software
> coming with kernel updates is a silly way to do things. The binary I use
> works on ALL Linux. This is what the people at Nvidia want.
>
> You seem to think all drivers must have source code. I think that is
> stupid.

Wow.

--
fedora-list mailing list
fedora-list@redhat.com
To unsubscribe: https://www.redhat.com/mailman/listinfo/fedora-list

Steve Searle 12-11-2007 11:44 PM

It Works fine... System lockups with F8 and Firefox
 
Around 12:29am on Wednesday, December 12, 2007 (UK time), Karl Larsen scrawled:

> Steve your just a old man that is still pushing the really stupid
> idea that if it was not invented at Fedora it is crap. This binary with

Where did I ever say "that if it was not invented at Fedora it is crap"?
You won't find that - I have never said or believed that. So you are a
liar. And you are rude, xenophobic and stupid. Add one more to the
total of people who have given up trying to help you.

> It works just fine and a person on this list put me in touch with

If it works just fine, why did you say your machine crashes after a few
minutes?

> it. The things Fedora try to do to keep up an rpm with Nvidia software
> coming with kernel updates is a silly way to do things. The binary I use
> works on ALL Linux. This is what the people at Nvidia want.

Why do you make such ridiculous statements. How can you accept
GNU/Linux, and then say that Fedora producing open source software is "a
silly way to do things"! Nearly everything you write is both stupid and
wrong.

--

A: Because it messes up the order in which people normally read text.
Q: Why is top-posting a bad thing?

00:31:21 up 73 days, 11:27, 1 user, load average: 0.06, 0.05, 0.06
--
fedora-list mailing list
fedora-list@redhat.com
To unsubscribe: https://www.redhat.com/mailman/listinfo/fedora-list


All times are GMT. The time now is 09:03 AM.

VBulletin, Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO ©2007, Crawlability, Inc.