Old 12-12-2007, 01:32 AM
"David L. Gehrt"

Default It Works fine... System lockups with F8 and Firefox

This is what happens when you try to assist Karl Larsen:

> Around 12:29am on Wednesday, December 12, 2007 (UK time), Karl Larsen
> scrawled:

> > Steve your just a old man that is still pushing the really stupid
> > idea that if it was not invented at Fedora it is crap. This binary
> > with

You get an ad hominum attack back. For the record I do not know
Mr. Searle or his age but I AM "...just a old man...." I am 66 years old
and so my NIH goes back well before Fedora. I have learned NOT to feed
Karl the Troll. If we stop responding to the (mostly) worthless posting
he makes he will go away and pester the subscribers to some other poor
list.

> Where did I ever say "that if it was not invented at Fedora it is
> crap"? You won't find that - I have never said or believed that. So
> you are a liar. And you are rude, xenophobic and stupid. Add one
> more to the total of people who have given up trying to help you.

Hear, hear! I remain surprised there are still regular readers of this
list who are still willing to risk this sort of response from Karl for
attempting to assist or inform the person.

> > It works just fine and a person on this list put me in touch with

> If it works just fine, why did you say your machine crashes after a
> few minutes?

> > it. The things Fedora try to do to keep up an rpm with Nvidia
> > software coming with kernel updates is a silly way to do things. The
> > binary I use works on ALL Linux. This is what the people at Nvidia
> > want.

> Why do you make such ridiculous statements. How can you accept
> GNU/Linux, and then say that Fedora producing open source software is
> "a silly way to do things"! Nearly everything you write is both
> stupid and wrong.

Regular readers of the Fedora list may recall that I earlier said I was
not going to get into this mess again, so I am sorry that I couldn't
restrain myself. I will try to stray out of this in the future

dlg

Old 12-12-2007, 11:11 AM
"Robert P. J. Day"

On Tue, 11 Dec 2007, David L. Gehrt wrote:

> I have learned NOT to feed Karl the Troll. If we stop responding to
> the (mostly) worthless posting he makes he will go away and pester
> the subscribers to some other poor list.

and this is the fundamental misunderstanding of so many members of
this mailing list -- that if you ignore karl, he will finally give up
and take his tiresome act elsewhere.

ain't. gonna. happen.

we're already well aware of karl's pattern of behaviour, which
consists of some combination of:

1) posting rubbish with a subject of "hey, something interesting!"
2) describing anything unexpected as a "bug" and promising to submit
it as a bug report
3) constantly promising/threatening to write "documentation" when he
is so obviously ignorant of what he speaks
4) calling even people who try to help him "stupid"
5) insulting entire social demographics

and it's that last bit that's become particularly worrisome.

recently, karl has explicitly denigrated germans, canadians and old
people. so who's next? women? gays? immigrants? because you
just *know* it's coming, and that's what suddenly makes this an issue
that needs to be handled.

it's bad enough that people who show up on this list are subject to
karl's uninformed and frequently dangerous advice. it's something
else altogether when they might be subject to his open insults on
their nationality or their age.

quite simply, karl needs to be kicked off this list and banned from
all red hat mailing lists. and, no, it shouldn't take more than about
three seconds to see that that's a perfectly reasonable thing to do.

karl simply refuses to learn. he will not take advice of any kind,
he won't follow simple rules of ML etiquette no matter how many people
tell him the same thing, he calls even people who try to help him
"stupid" and, from a technical standpoint, his posted "advice" is
almost uniformly worthless if not downright harmful, forcing people
who *do* know stuff to waste time constantly correcting him for the
sake of other readers.

you can try to put up with this and hope against hope that things
will improve, and ask that we stop picking on karl. and the end
result is that absolutely nothing will change, and karl will
inevitably fly off the handle and insult yet another collective of
people.

so i'm going to suggest this just this one time, then i'm going to
shut the hell up about it: karl needs to be banned from red hat
mailing lists. he contributes nothing, and his presence has
single-handedly made this list a less pleasant place to hang out. he
needs to go.

further than that, deponent sayeth not.

rday

Robert P. J. Day
Waterloo, Ontario, CANADA

http://crashcourse.ca

Old 12-13-2007, 12:09 PM
Karl Larsen

Interesting things (to me). Tim said to look at IT and I have been
doing so. Here is what /etc/X11/xorg.conf has to say about my mouse:

# generated from default
Identifier "Mouse0"
Driver "mouse"
Option "Protocol" "auto"
Option "Device" "/dev/input/mice"
Option "Emulate3Buttons" "yes"
Option "ZAxisMapping" "4 5"
EndSection

I decided to look at /dev/input/mice and it has:

[karl@k5di ~]$ ls -al /dev/input/mice
crw-r----- 1 root root 13, 63 2007-12-13 05:26 /dev/input/mice
[karl@k5di ~]$ cd /dev
[karl@k5di dev]$ cd input
[karl@k5di input]$ ls
by-path event1 event3 event5 mice mouse1
event0 event2 event4 event6 mouse0
[karl@k5di input]$ ls -al mice
crw-r----- 1 root root 13, 63 2007-12-13 05:26 mice
[karl@k5di input]$ ls -al mouse0
crw-r----- 1 root root 13, 32 2007-12-13 05:26 mouse0

This appears to be something special. I have no idea what it does to
work but it is different from other /dev/xxx.

I think the way this works is the reason for my sudden failures of
both F7 and F8. I was plugging my mouse into a USB port. It works fine
but I think there is a problem. Looking back the sudden failures may
have begun when I put the mouse into the USB port. I now have the mouse
plugged into a PS2 port and no sudden failures in 3 days.

After a week without problems I will again plug the mouse into a USB
port and see if the sudden failure returns.

Karl