FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
» Video Reviews

» Linux Archive

Linux-archive is a website aiming to archive linux email lists and to make them easily accessible for linux users/developers.


» Sponsor

» Partners

» Sponsor

Go Back   Linux Archive > Redhat > Fedora User

 
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
 
Old 12-10-2007, 10:04 PM
Mickey Bankhead
 
Default F8 hangs after 10 minutes inactivity on Dell optiplex 755

I have some new dell optiplex 755 desktops. F8 installed great, but
after 10 minutes of inactivity, the machine appears to be locked up /
frozen. The mouse arrow pointer will still move around, but mouse clicks
don't do anything, and the keyboard won't respond.


CTRL-ALT-BKSPC will crash X back to a black screen, but that's IT.
CTRL-ALT-F1 will get me a log-in prompt, I can log in, but the init3
command will hang after 10 seconds or so


I suspect it's the power management trying to go to sleep or shut
something down, but I've got limited options in power management, and
with everything there set to NEVER, it still happens.


I can use the machine for an hour if I don't let it get idle...
PS. Related? - the Screen Saver screen will NEVER come up - I just get a
blank white window where it should show the screen saver options, but no
items on the screen...


Thanks in advance!

--
fedora-list mailing list
fedora-list@redhat.com
To unsubscribe: https://www.redhat.com/mailman/listinfo/fedora-list
 
Old 01-11-2008, 05:42 PM
"Ryan B. Lynch"
 
Default F8 hangs after 10 minutes inactivity on Dell optiplex 755

Mickey Bankhead wrote:
I have some new dell optiplex 755 desktops. F8 installed great, but
after 10 minutes of inactivity, the machine appears to be locked up /
frozen. The mouse arrow pointer will still move around, but mouse clicks
don't do anything, and the keyboard won't respond.

CTRL-ALT-BKSPC will crash X back to a black screen, but that's IT.
CTRL-ALT-F1 will get me a log-in prompt, I can log in, but the init3
command will hang after 10 seconds or so


I suspect it's the power management trying to go to sleep or shut
something down, but I've got limited options in power management, and
with everything there set to NEVER, it still happens.


I can use the machine for an hour if I don't let it get idle...
PS. Related? - the Screen Saver screen will NEVER come up - I just get a
blank white window where it should show the screen saver options, but no
items on the screen...


Did you ever resolve this? I think I have the same problem, on an
Optiplex 745. If I leave the X session idle for long enough, or if I
attempt to do a 'lock session' from the KDE menu, I get a very similar
behavior to what you described: mouse clicks and keyboard don't work,
although the mouse can still move around the screen, and I can either
CTRL+ALT+F1 or CTRL+ALT+BKSP without a problem.


This started about a week ago, right after I got dual head up and
running on my Radeon. Things were working fine, and then after I
installed the 'fglrx' kernel and Xorg drivers and started using the dual
head setup, I noticed these little glitches. Since 'fglrx' is from
Livna, I just figured it was a bug. In the meantime, I'd rather have
dual head and just deal with the annoyance or having to restart my X
session every so often.


Looking in the Xorg log, I noticed that every time this happens, there's
a corresponding pair of log messages:


SetClientVersion: 0 9
SetGrabKeysState - disabled

I don't know what those mean, but the timing is not a coincidence.

If you haven't managed to fix this, would Would you mind trying to do a
'lock session', to compare the behavior of your system? Also, are you
using the 'fglrx' driver? Are you using dual head?


Also, does anybody else know if this list is appropriate for continuing
this thread? Can you suggest a better place to which we could move it?


Thanks,
Ryan

--
fedora-list mailing list
fedora-list@redhat.com
To unsubscribe: https://www.redhat.com/mailman/listinfo/fedora-list
 
Old 01-11-2008, 08:18 PM
"Keith Hunt"
 
Default F8 hangs after 10 minutes inactivity on Dell optiplex 755

On Jan 11, 2008 1:42 PM, Ryan B. Lynch <ryan.b.lynch@gmail.com> wrote:

Mickey Bankhead wrote:
> I have some new dell optiplex 755 desktops. *F8 installed great, but
> after 10 minutes of inactivity, the machine appears to be locked up /
> frozen. The mouse arrow pointer will still move around, but mouse clicks

> don't do anything, and the keyboard won't respond.
> CTRL-ALT-BKSPC will crash X back to a black screen, but that's IT.
> CTRL-ALT-F1 will get me a log-in prompt, I can log in, but the init3

> command will hang after 10 seconds or so
>
> I suspect it's the power management trying to go to sleep or shut
> something down, but I've got limited options in power management, and

> with everything there set to NEVER, it still happens.
>
> I can use the machine for an hour if I don't let it get idle...
> PS. Related? - the Screen Saver screen will NEVER come up - I just get a

> blank white window where it should show the screen saver options, but no
> items on the screen...

Did you ever resolve this? *I think I have the same problem, on an
Optiplex 745. *If I leave the X session idle for long enough, or if I

attempt to do a 'lock session' from the KDE menu, I get a very similar
behavior to what you described: *mouse clicks and keyboard don't work,
although the mouse can still move around the screen, and I can either

CTRL+ALT+F1 or CTRL+ALT+BKSP without a problem.

This started about a week ago, right after I got dual head up and
running on my Radeon. *Things were working fine, and then after I
installed the 'fglrx' kernel and Xorg drivers and started using the dual

head setup, I noticed these little glitches. *Since 'fglrx' is from
Livna, I just figured it was a bug. *In the meantime, I'd rather have
dual head and just deal with the annoyance or having to restart my X

session every so often.

Looking in the Xorg log, I noticed that every time this happens, there's
a corresponding pair of log messages:

* * * *SetClientVersion: 0 9
* * * *SetGrabKeysState - disabled


I don't know what those mean, but the timing is not a coincidence.

If you haven't managed to fix this, would Would you mind trying to do a
'lock session', to compare the behavior of your system? *Also, are you

using the 'fglrx' driver? *Are you using dual head?

Also, does anybody else know if this list is appropriate for continuing
this thread? *Can you suggest a better place to which we could move it?


Thanks,
Ryan

--
fedora-list mailing list
fedora-list@redhat.com
To unsubscribe:
https://www.redhat.com/mailman/listinfo/fedora-list

I have experienced similar problems with Fedora 6 and 7 although they seemed to occur only intermittently. I never found a real answer, at least partly because I could never reproduce the problem at will. I started to suspect the screen saver and the last time it happened I was able to fix it by killing the screen saver (via an SSH session from another machine).


I am not offering this as a definitive solution but it might be worth a look.

--
Keith
--
fedora-list mailing list
fedora-list@redhat.com
To unsubscribe: https://www.redhat.com/mailman/listinfo/fedora-list
 
Old 01-12-2008, 03:31 AM
"Ryan B. Lynch"
 
Default F8 hangs after 10 minutes inactivity on Dell optiplex 755

Keith Hunt wrote:



On Jan 11, 2008 1:42 PM, Ryan B. Lynch <ryan.b.lynch@gmail.com
<mailto:ryan.b.lynch@gmail.com>> wrote:


Mickey Bankhead wrote:
> I have some new dell optiplex 755 desktops. F8 installed great, but
> after 10 minutes of inactivity, the machine appears to be locked up /
> frozen. The mouse arrow pointer will still move around, but mouse
clicks
> don't do anything, and the keyboard won't respond.
> CTRL-ALT-BKSPC will crash X back to a black screen, but that's IT.
> CTRL-ALT-F1 will get me a log-in prompt, I can log in, but the init3
> command will hang after 10 seconds or so
>
> I suspect it's the power management trying to go to sleep or shut
> something down, but I've got limited options in power management, and
> with everything there set to NEVER, it still happens.
>
> I can use the machine for an hour if I don't let it get idle...
> PS. Related? - the Screen Saver screen will NEVER come up - I
just get a
> blank white window where it should show the screen saver options,
but no
> items on the screen...

Did you ever resolve this? I think I have the same problem, on an
Optiplex 745. If I leave the X session idle for long enough, or if I
attempt to do a 'lock session' from the KDE menu, I get a very similar
behavior to what you described: mouse clicks and keyboard don't work,
although the mouse can still move around the screen, and I can either
CTRL+ALT+F1 or CTRL+ALT+BKSP without a problem.



Looking in the Xorg log, I noticed that every time this happens, there's
a corresponding pair of log messages:

SetClientVersion: 0 9
SetGrabKeysState - disabled

I don't know what those mean, but the timing is not a coincidence.




I have experienced similar problems with Fedora 6 and 7 although they
seemed to occur only intermittently. I never found a real answer, at
least partly because I could never reproduce the problem at will. I
started to suspect the screen saver and the last time it happened I was
able to fix it by killing the screen saver (via an SSH session from
another machine).


That's a really interesting idea--I didn't stop to check whether the
screen saver had activated and somehow failed, although that would go a
long way toward explaining the observed behavior.


I did a little Googling, and it looks like the 'SetGrabKeysState -
disabled' line in the logs is supposed to happen when the screen
saver/lock takes over. There should also be a corresponding
'SetGrabKeysState - enabled' line, when the user takes control back.


Now that I think about it, I did have one of those pretty OpenGL screen
savers selected. I can try the obvious thing, which is to switch to a
blank screen saver, and a non-OpenGL screen saver, and see if there's a
difference in the behavior.


If I can establish that the problem is, in fact, the OpenGL screen
saver, that might also explain your (Keith Hunt) problem being
intermittent. A lot of Fedora desktops I've seen have been set to
random select a different screen saver each time it turns on--so
sometimes you'd get an OpenGL one that screws the pooch, and other times
it would be a non-OpenGL one that works just fine.


Too much speculation--when I get in front of that my Fedora machine,
again, I'll keep digging and I'll see what I can find.


-Ryan

--
fedora-list mailing list
fedora-list@redhat.com
To unsubscribe: https://www.redhat.com/mailman/listinfo/fedora-list
 
Old 01-14-2008, 01:17 AM
"Ryan B. Lynch"
 
Default F8 hangs after 10 minutes inactivity on Dell optiplex 755

Ryan B. Lynch wrote:
Now that I think about it, I did have one of those pretty OpenGL screen
savers selected. I can try the obvious thing, which is to switch to a
blank screen saver, and a non-OpenGL screen saver, and see if there's a
difference in the behavior.


If I can establish that the problem is, in fact, the OpenGL screen
saver, that might also explain your (Keith Hunt) problem being
intermittent. A lot of Fedora desktops I've seen have been set to
random select a different screen saver each time it turns on--so
sometimes you'd get an OpenGL one that screws the pooch, and other times
it would be a non-OpenGL one that works just fine.


Too much speculation--when I get in front of that my Fedora machine,
again, I'll keep digging and I'll see what I can find.


-Ryan



I triggered the locking behavior, ALT-F1'd to a text virtual console,
and ran 'ps aux'. The program 'kdesktop_lock' was running, and when I
gave it a 'kill -9' and ALT-F7'd back to the X session, everything was
back to normal.


Initially, I tried opening the KDE control center to change the screen
saver choice, but the screensaver plugin froze right after I selected
it. I had to 'kill -9' the control center program. This is
interesting, because that plugin automatically starts a minature demo of
the currently-selected screensaver (which was, as I mentioned before, an
OpenGL screensaver). I could not even change the screen saver selection.


I decided to try turning off the 'fglrx' stuff, and the easiest way was
to back up my dual-head Xorg.conf file, remove the kernel module and X
packages, and reboot. The machine came back up and everything worked
(session locking, control center screensaver plugin, etc.) just fine. I
switched to the 'slideshow' screensaver (non-OpenGL) to test the
locking. Then, I re-installed the 'fglrx' packages, copied my dual-head
Xorg.conf file back in place, and rebooted again.


The machine came back up with dual head working, and so I tested session
locking. The screen successfully locked, but sometimes seemed to have a
delay between the command to lock and the redrawing of the screen. The
control center plugin crashed, though.


For now, I'm happy with this. I can lock the session and leave the idle
-timeout lock turned on, and I can get control of the desktop back
without the hassle of switching to a text console, logging in, and
killing the lock process manually. That's enough to get my work done.


I suppose it could be something wrong with my dual-head Xorg.conf
file--I never tried the screensaver with 'fglrx' running but no
dual-head. I might try some more combinations, if I have the time, but
right now it's just not a priority.


Keith, thanks a million for pointing me in the direction of the
screensaver. That was the key, and I probably wouldn't have figured it
out on my own.


-Ryan

--
fedora-list mailing list
fedora-list@redhat.com
To unsubscribe: https://www.redhat.com/mailman/listinfo/fedora-list
 

Thread Tools




All times are GMT. The time now is 06:07 AM.

VBulletin, Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO ©2007, Crawlability, Inc.
Copyright 2007 - 2008, www.linux-archive.org