Old 12-10-2007, 09:07 PM
Konstantin Svist

Default network in virtual machine

Hi all,

Question: how do I set up networking in a [KVM] virtual machine guest so
that I can get to the internet?

I've set up an F8 install with default option (Virtual Network/default)
- and I can connect to the guest from the host - but I can't run a yum
update from the guest.
On the host i see "virbr0" in ifconfig output, with same subnet as the
guest - but that doesn't show up in standard network configuration applets.

Thanks!

Old 12-10-2007, 10:22 PM
Konstantin Svist

Konstantin Svist wrote:

Hi all,

Question: how do I set up networking in a [KVM] virtual machine guest so
that I can get to the internet?

I've set up an F8 install with default option (Virtual Network/default)
- and I can connect to the guest from the host - but I can't run a yum
update from the guest.
On the host i see "virbr0" in ifconfig output, with same subnet as the
guest - but that doesn't show up in standard network configuration
applets.

Thanks!

found answer on my own:
go to firewall config applet and enable masquerading for eth0

Old 12-11-2007, 08:01 AM
John Summerfield

Konstantin Svist wrote:

Konstantin Svist wrote:

Hi all,

Question: how do I set up networking in a [KVM] virtual machine guest so
that I can get to the internet?

I've set up an F8 install with default option (Virtual Network/default)
- and I can connect to the guest from the host - but I can't run a yum
update from the guest.
On the host i see "virbr0" in ifconfig output, with same subnet as the
guest - but that doesn't show up in standard network configuration
applets.

Thanks!

found answer on my own:
go to firewall config applet and enable masquerading for eth0

You do need masquerading some place, but not necessarily there. For
reasons not relevant to the topic, I run several /24 networks here; each
needs to be able to route to all the others, but the only place I need
to masquerade is at the boundary to the Internet, a Pentium IV server
(as opposed to the inconnect router that attaches it to the 'net).

Xen on fedora (and probably the alternatives) can share the LAN, or use
its own virtual LAN. If you use the former, DHCP functions as usual and
you get the regular network setup. In the latter case, masquerading may
be convenient, but isn't essential (and is harmful if you want to run
virtual servers).

--

Cheers
John