Old 12-10-2007, 07:04 PM
Jeff Krebs

Default It Works fine

* Karl Larsen (k5di@zianet.com) wrote:
> After so many problems seen day after day it is nice I think to hear
> about a success.
>
> F8 was installed from a DVD and came right up with a video problem cuzz I
> have a Nvidia video card. Fixed in 5 minutes with Nvidia binary. Then audio
> problems and found pulse audio the problem. I was told to yum remove and I
> did and audio is fine again.
>
> I have had all the updates and they appear to be real Updates! So today
> December 10 2007 my F8 is working just fine. I have just one problem. I

I will mark this down on my calendar, and ensure that it's engraved in
stone to pass down to historians. Such a feat was certainly unthinkable

> seem to have a rootkit somewhere in the /home/karl/ directories. I have RTK
> and this afternoon I plan to find the thing, or discover I have no rootkit
> but rather another kind of problem.
>
> Karl

How do you know that you have a root kit?

Jeff Krebs

Old 12-10-2007, 07:15 PM
"Robert P. J. Day"

Quoting Jeff Krebs <jkrebs@tconl.com>:

[...]

and while we're here, karl, do you remember how, really recently, i
suggested that it would be polite and courteous to everyone else on
this list (not to mention more meaningful) if your subject lines were
more informative than, say, "It Works fine"?

seriously, karl, do you remember me encouraging you to do something
about that? and yet, here we are. so i have an absolutely
dead-serious question -- why didn't you take that advice? is is that
you don't think there's any value to carefully-chosen subjects? or do
you agree that there is, but you just don't feel like putting in the
effort because you have so little respect for all of the members of
this list that you just don't care?

really, karl, those are your only two choices, and i'm curious about
which one applies here. can you answer this question without
impugning my character, or my technical competence, or my nationality?
because, sincerely, i want to know. i want to know why, despite
numerous people on this list constantly giving you advice on how to be
a better list member, you simply never take that advice. and it's
either because you don't understand it, or you do understand it but
you just don't care.

so which is it, karl? just call me curious.

rday

Old 12-10-2007, 07:37 PM
Karl Larsen

Jeff Krebs wrote:

[...]

I really do not know Jeff. But often, while using Firefox I get an
attack that puts a cross hatch screen on and removes the keyboard and
mouse, and puts a single tone out the audio channels and only a hard
reset will clear it.

This is how I think a rootkit would work and so I got rkhunter and
right now I am trying to get it to check /home but have not found out
how to do this :-)

Karl

--

Karl F. Larsen, AKA K5DI
Linux User

Old 12-10-2007, 07:41 PM
Karl Larsen

Robert P. J. Day wrote:

[...]

What is wrong with the subject? You dislike good news?

Karl

Old 12-10-2007, 08:02 PM
Les Mikesell

Karl Larsen wrote:

What is wrong with the subject? You dislike good news?

Which of the several thousand programs in fedora does 'it' mean? And in
which fedora version?

--
Les Mikesell
lesmikesell@gmail.com

Old 12-10-2007, 08:08 PM
"Robert P. J. Day"

Quoting Les Mikesell <lesmikesell@gmail.com>:

Karl Larsen wrote:

What is wrong with the subject? You dislike good news?

Which of the several thousand programs in fedora does 'it' mean? And
in which fedora version?

this months-long adventure with karl has become so weird that it's
gone beyond mildly irritating and has genuinely entered the realm of
psychopathology.

seriously, karl's behaviour is the textbook example of a clinical
sociopath liberally soaked in narcissism -- someone who hasn't the
slightest regard for the input or opinion of others, but whose world
is entirely bounded by what he thinks is appropriate behaviour. i'm
not being facetious, and i'm not being sarcastic -- karl, quite
simply, has massive behavioural problems, and all the good advice in
the world is never going to fix them.

time to move on.

rday

Old 12-10-2007, 08:20 PM
"Ashley M. Kirchner"

Robert P. J. Day wrote:
this months-long adventure with karl has become so weird that it's
gone beyond mildly irritating and has genuinely entered the realm of
psychopathology.
... which begs the question: why did you reply to his (original)
e-mail?

Seriously though, if we all simply stop fueling him, sooner or later
he too will fade into history ... however screwed up that might be.

--
W | It's not a bug - it's an undocumented feature.

Old 12-10-2007, 08:24 PM
Karl Larsen

Karl Larsen wrote:

What is wrong with the subject? You dislike good news?

Which of the several thousand programs in fedora does 'it' mean? And
in which fedora version?

this months-long adventure with karl has become so weird that it's
gone beyond mildly irritating and has genuinely entered the realm of
psychopathology.

seriously, karl's behaviour is the textbook example of a clinical
sociopath liberally soaked in narcissism -- someone who hasn't the
slightest regard for the input or opinion of others, but whose world
is entirely bounded by what he thinks is appropriate behaviour. i'm
not being facetious, and i'm not being sarcastic -- karl, quite
simply, has massive behavioural problems, and all the good advice in
the world is never going to fix them.

time to move on.

rday

I sure hope so RDay. If you could read it would have been able to
see it is F8 and such.

Karl

Old 12-10-2007, 08:30 PM
Karl Larsen

Ashley M. Kirchner wrote:

Robert P. J. Day wrote:
this months-long adventure with karl has become so weird that it's
gone beyond mildly irritating and has genuinely entered the realm of
psychopathology.
... which begs the question: why did you reply to his (original)
e-mail?

Seriously though, if we all simply stop fueling him, sooner or
later he too will fade into history ... however screwed up that might be.

The difficulty is that Rday never gives up. He has me in a state of
near death with his ideas of what is wrong with me. In fact my poor
Subjects get a huge play by RDay and others who are so upset with them.

So I will not go away, and not spend time with titles like

Subject: F8, RK, seems to work, but,

Old 12-10-2007, 08:33 PM
"Robert P. J. Day"

Quoting "Ashley M. Kirchner" <ashley@pcraft.com>:

Robert P. J. Day wrote:
this months-long adventure with karl has become so weird that it's
gone beyond mildly irritating and has genuinely entered the realm
of psychopathology.

... which begs the question: why did you reply to his (original) e-mail?

for exactly the reason i stated -- i'm sincerely interested in what
drives someone to keep getting the same advice week after week, and
just ignore it. seriously, it goes beyond just a lack of courtesy --
there's something psychological happening here that would be
interesting to identify. i'm betting it even has a name, with respect
to DSM-IV. but beyond that, you're right, it's just not worth the
effort anymore.

rday