Old 12-10-2007, 04:35 PM
Barry Yu

Default GRUB boot loader failed in RAID 0

I've suffering GRUB boot loader failed to boot up frequently in a system running raid 0 with Intel Matrix storage manager ICH900 chip, the "/" partition is installed in /dev/mapper/isw_cghfbiafhf_cts_home10, and the GRUB boot loader is installed in /dev/mapper/isw_cghfbiafhf_cts* (MBR), when the system failed to boot, I can only see the "GRUB" is displayed on left upper screen and stayed there without further advancing progress. I boot up to rescue mode with installation DVD and issued commands as follow;

chroot* /mnt/sysimage
grub-install* /dev/mapper/isw_cghfbiafhf_cts

And I see this message;
/dev/mapper/isw_cghfbiafhf_cts_home10 does not have any corresponding BIOS drive.
(Obviously GRUB was looking for something in /dev/mapper/isw_cghfbiafhf_cts_home10 wher the / partition is)
How can I restore the GRUB boot loader?
I will reply 10 hours later if any one needs further input from me.
Tks

Old 12-10-2007, 05:44 PM
Rick Stevens

On Mon, 2007-12-10 at 09:35 -0800, Barry Yu wrote:
> I've suffering GRUB boot loader failed to boot up frequently in a
> system running raid 0 with Intel Matrix storage manager ICH900 chip,
> the "/" partition is installed
> in /dev/mapper/isw_cghfbiafhf_cts_home10, and the GRUB boot loader is
> installed in /dev/mapper/isw_cghfbiafhf_cts (MBR), when the system
> failed to boot, I can only see the "GRUB" is displayed on left upper
> screen and stayed there without further advancing progress. I boot up
> to rescue mode with installation DVD and issued commands as follow;
>
> chroot /mnt/sysimage
> grub-install /dev/mapper/isw_cghfbiafhf_cts
>
> And I see this message;
> /dev/mapper/isw_cghfbiafhf_cts_home10 does not have any corresponding
> BIOS drive.
> (Obviously GRUB was looking for something
> in /dev/mapper/isw_cghfbiafhf_cts_home10 wher the / partition is)
> How can I restore the GRUB boot loader?
> I will reply 10 hours later if any one needs further input from me.

Grub can't do software RAID...that's an OS thing. Your /boot partition
MUST be on a either a hardware RAID or a single drive.

You can use a software RAID1 for /boot, but that's only because both
drives' content will be identical and you're cheating by only using
one of the pair. Just make sure you don't write anything to /boot
in grub...the software RAID1 must be functional before any writes occur
or you will make the RAID1 unmountable as the drives will diverge in
content.

Old 12-10-2007, 11:21 PM
Barry Yu

Thanks for your advice telling me what exactly had happened.

Rick Stevens <rstevens@internap.com> wrote: On Mon, 2007-12-10 at 09:35 -0800, Barry Yu wrote:
> I've suffering GRUB boot loader failed to boot up frequently in a
> system running raid 0 with Intel Matrix storage manager ICH900 chip,
> the "/" partition is installed
> in /dev/mapper/isw_cghfbiafhf_cts_home10, and the GRUB boot loader is
> installed in /dev/mapper/isw_cghfbiafhf_cts (MBR), when the system
> failed to boot, I can only see the "GRUB" is displayed on left upper
> screen and stayed there without further advancing progress. I boot up
> to rescue mode with installation DVD and issued commands as follow;
>
> chroot /mnt/sysimage
> grub-install /dev/mapper/isw_cghfbiafhf_cts
>

> And I see this message;
> /dev/mapper/isw_cghfbiafhf_cts_home10 does not have any corresponding
> BIOS drive.
> (Obviously GRUB was looking for something
> in /dev/mapper/isw_cghfbiafhf_cts_home10 wher the / partition is)
> How can I restore the GRUB boot loader?
> I will reply 10 hours later if any one needs further input from me.

Grub can't do software RAID...that's an OS thing. Your /boot partition
MUST be on a either a hardware RAID or a single drive.

You can use a software RAID1 for /boot, but that's only because both
drives' content will be identical and you're cheating by only using
one of the pair. Just make sure you don't write anything to /boot
in grub...the software RAID1 must be functional before any writes occur
or you will make the RAID1 unmountable as the drives will diverge in
content.

- Rick Stevens,
Principal Engineer rstevens@internap.com -
- -