Old 12-10-2007, 04:19 PM
Francois

Default wifi networks

Hi,
Running FC6 on one machine and F7 on another one (both laptops), I would
like to know if there is a tool to check the availability of wifi networks.
I use KDE as desktop manager. I have knetworkmanager on one, but it doesn't
work at all. Thanks. Francois

Old 12-10-2007, 04:43 PM
"mike cloaked"

Francois wrote:

>Running FC6 on one machine and F7 on another one (both laptops), I would
>like to know if there is a tool to check the availability of wifi networks.

Try:
iwlist eth1 scan

or change eth1 to whatever name your wireless interface has...

--
mike

Old 12-10-2007, 07:48 PM
Francois

On lundi 10 décembre 2007, mike cloaked wrote:
> >Running FC6 on one machine and F7 on another one (both laptops), I would
> >like to know if there is a tool to check the availability of wifi
> > networks.
> Try:
> iwlist eth1 scan

OK, thank you. Francois

Old 12-10-2007, 08:50 PM
Aaron Konstam

On Mon, 2007-12-10 at 18:19 +0100, Francois wrote:
> Hi,
> Running FC6 on one machine and F7 on another one (both laptops), I would
> like to know if there is a tool to check the availability of wifi networks.
> I use KDE as desktop manager. I have knetworkmanager on one, but it doesn't
> work at all. Thanks. Francois wlan0
> --
Well knetworkmanager is right program. What does iwlist eth1 scanning
or iwlist wlan0 scanning return?

Old 12-10-2007, 09:04 PM
Mike

Aaron Konstam <akonstam <at> sbcglobal.net> writes:

> On Mon, 2007-12-10 at 18:19 +0100, Francois wrote:
> > Hi,
> > Running FC6 on one machine and F7 on another one (both laptops), I would
> > like to know if there is a tool to check the availability of wifi networks.
> > I use KDE as desktop manager. I have knetworkmanager on one, but it doesn't
> > work at all. Thanks. Francois wlan0
> > --
> Well knetworkmanager is right program. What does iwlist eth1 scanning
> or iwlist wlan0 scanning return?

Also is there a file
/etc/sysconfig/network-scripts/ifcfg-eth1 or ifcfg-wlan0 ?
If so what is the content of the file(s)?

Old 12-10-2007, 10:07 PM
John Summerfield

Francois wrote:

Hi,
Running FC6 on one machine and F7 on another one (both laptops), I would
like to know if there is a tool to check the availability of wifi networks.
I use KDE as desktop manager. I have knetworkmanager on one, but it doesn't
work at all. Thanks. Francois

For serious snooping, use kismet. I don't know whether it's accessible
via usual Fedora repos, but it is a seriously handy diagnostic (and
snooping) tool.

iwlist tells you what it can see at this instant. kismet tells you what
it's seen, can announce (by synthetic speech) new stations, it can
uncloak hidden stations etc etc.

--

Cheers
John