Old 12-10-2007, 03:01 PM
"Mark Haney"

Default F8 Network Woe

Jonathan Allen wrote:
> Dear List,
>
> I have a vanilla FC8 machine that was working into the Internet. After
> several hours fighting network manager, I edited /etc/hosts, /etc/resolv.conf
> and /etc/sysconfig/network-scripts/ifcfg-eth0 by hand and bob was my uncle.
>
> Now, after a a PUP run to pull in updates, I can't get the network to start
> after the reboot:
>
> # service network start
> Bringing up loopack interface: [ OK ]
> Bringing up interface eth0: [FAILED]
> Error, some other host already uses address 192.168.1.6
>
> Any ideas ?
>
> Jonathan

Uh, is it possible the DHCP server lease is still active? What is the
status of that IP address? Are there other machines on the network?

--
Recedite, plebes! Gero rem imperialem!

Mark Haney
Sr. Systems Administrator
ERC Broadband
(828) 350-2415

Call (866) ERC-7110 for after hours support

Old 12-10-2007, 03:17 PM
Jonathan Allen

On Mon, Dec 10, 2007 at 04:50:13PM +0100, Antonio M asked:

> > # service network start
> > Bringing up loopack interface: [ OK ]
> > Bringing up interface eth0: [FAILED]
> > Error, some other host already uses address 192.168.1.6
>
> did you try to start the machine disconnected from your network???

No, the network was and is still attached to the network.

Jonathan

Old 12-10-2007, 03:21 PM
Mike

Jonathan Allen <jonathan <at> barumtrading.co.uk> writes:

> Now, after a a PUP run to pull in updates, I can't get the network to start
> after the reboot:
>
> # service network start
> Bringing up loopack interface: [ OK ]
> Bringing up interface eth0: [FAILED]
> Error, some other host already uses address 192.168.1.6

It might be worth trying the following:
ifdown eth0

Edit /etc/resolv.conf as it might have got emptied during the attempt to get the
interface up with dhcp. Make sure you have something sensible in it - preferably
the same content as when it was working earlier. Make sure you have a search line
containing the right dns server address.

Then
ifconfig eth0 192.168.1.50 up (or some other unused ip address)

At this point your network should come alive again.... and you can investigate
why your dhcp attempt did not work...

Old 12-10-2007, 03:22 PM
Jonathan Allen

On Mon, Dec 10, 2007 at 04:53:37PM +0100, Jim van Wel wrote:
> Obviously some machine is still using that ip address. Just ping to that
> ip, or do a arp lookup to see which one (maybe the same machine) to find
> out!

On the machine itself, it says:

# ping 192.168.1.6
connect: Network is unreachable
# arp 192.168.1.6
192.168.1.6 (192.168.1.6) -- no entry

There is no other machine on the network with that IP address.

Jonathan

Old 12-10-2007, 03:25 PM
Jonathan Allen

On Mon, Dec 10, 2007 at 11:01:53AM -0500, Mark Haney wrote:

> > # service network start
> > Bringing up loopack interface: [ OK ]
> > Bringing up interface eth0: [FAILED]
> > Error, some other host already uses address 192.168.1.6
> >

> Uh, is it possible the DHCP server lease is still active? What is the
> status of that IP address? Are there other machines on the network?

The whole network uses static IP addresses, no DHCP active at all. No
other machine has that address and all the others - behind the main NAT
firewall - have other discrete IP address in the 192.168.1. range.

Jonathan

Old 12-10-2007, 03:58 PM
Mike

Jonathan Allen <jonathan <at> barumtrading.co.uk> writes:

> The whole network uses static IP addresses, no DHCP active at all. No
> other machine has that address and all the others - behind the main NAT
> firewall - have other discrete IP address in the 192.168.1. range.

What is the contents of your ifcfg-eth0 file and what is in /etc/resolv.conf?

Old 12-10-2007, 04:09 PM
"mike cloaked"

Old 12-10-2007, 04:14 PM
Jonathan Allen

On Mon, Dec 10, 2007 at 05:09:19PM +0000, mike cloaked asked:

> What is the contents of your ifcfg-eth0 file and what is in /etc/resolv.conf?

/etc/resolv.conf:

domain barumtrading.co.uk
nameserver 158.152.1.58
nameserver 158.152.1.46

ifcfg-eth0:

# Silicon Integrated Systems [SiS] SiS900 PCI Fast Ethernet
DEVICE=eth0
BOOTPROTO=none
BROADCAST=192.168.1.255
HWADDR=000:091:14:57
IPADDR=192.168.1.6
NETMASK=255.255.255.0
NETWORK=192.168.1.0
ONBOOT=yes
GATEWAY=192.168.1.126
TYPE=Ethernet
USERCTL=no
IPV6INIT=no
PEERDNS=yes

Jonathan

Old 12-10-2007, 04:20 PM
Jonathan Allen

On Mon, Dec 10, 2007 at 04:21:27PM +0000, Mike wrote:

> It might be worth trying the following:
> ifdown eth0

OK, that worked

> Edit /etc/resolv.conf as it might have got emptied during the attempt to
> get the interface up with dhcp. Make sure you have something sensible in
> it - preferably the same content as when it was working earlier. Make sure
> you have a search line containing the right dns server address.

It keeps getting purged by Network Manager; with that disabled, it will
keep contents set by vi

> Then ifconfig eth0 192.168.1.50 up (or some other unused ip address)

Yes, that came up. I could now ping the local network.

# route
192.168.1.0 * 255.255.255.0 U 0 0 0 eth0

but I couldn't see any other machines or get a DNS lookup to work. By hand
I typed:

# route add default gw 192.168.1.126 eth0
# route
192.168.1.0 * 255.255.255.0 U 0 0 0 eth0
default 192.168.1.126 0.0.0.0 UG 0 0 0 eth0

and now I can work properly. It won't come up again automatically on boot
and Network Manager will trash it completely.

Jonathan

Old 12-10-2007, 04:24 PM
"mike cloaked"

Jonathan Allen wrote:

>/etc/resolv.conf:
>
> domain barumtrading.co.uk
> nameserver 158.152.1.58
> nameserver 158.152.1.46

Usually the first line of the resolv.conf is
"search machine_name" ... maybe change "domain" to "search" and try to
restart the network.

>ifcfg-eth0:
>
> # Silicon Integrated Systems [SiS] SiS900 PCI Fast Ethernet
> DEVICE=eth0
> BOOTPROTO=none
> BROADCAST=192.168.1.255
> HWADDR=000:091:14:57
> IPADDR=192.168.1.6
> NETMASK=255.255.255.0
> NETWORK=192.168.1.0
> ONBOOT=yes
> GATEWAY=192.168.1.126
> TYPE=Ethernet
> USERCTL=no
> IPV6INIT=no
> PEERDNS=yes

If you have PEERDNS=yes then in principle you will allow
/etc/resolv.conf to be overwritten.
I would use PEERDNS=no
Also if you want not to have /etc/ntp.conf overwritten you could add PEERNETP=no

If you make these changes and restart the network and the interface
(or re-boot) does it now work?

--
mike