Old 12-10-2007, 02:44 PM
Jonathan Allen

Default F8 Network Woe

Dear List,

I have a vanilla FC8 machine that was working into the Internet. After
several hours fighting network manager, I edited /etc/hosts, /etc/resolv.conf
and /etc/sysconfig/network-scripts/ifcfg-eth0 by hand and bob was my uncle.

Now, after a a PUP run to pull in updates, I can't get the network to start
after the reboot:

# service network start
Bringing up loopack interface: [ OK ]
Bringing up interface eth0: [FAILED]
Error, some other host already uses address 192.168.1.6

Any ideas ?

Jonathan

Old 12-10-2007, 02:50 PM
"Antonio M"

2007/12/10, Jonathan Allen <jonathan@barumtrading.co.uk>:
> Dear List,
>
> I have a vanilla FC8 machine that was working into the Internet. After
> several hours fighting network manager, I edited /etc/hosts, /etc/resolv.conf
> and /etc/sysconfig/network-scripts/ifcfg-eth0 by hand and bob was my uncle.
>
> Now, after a a PUP run to pull in updates, I can't get the network to start
> after the reboot:
>
> # service network start
> Bringing up loopack interface: [ OK ]
> Bringing up interface eth0: [FAILED]
> Error, some other host already uses address 192.168.1.6
>
> Any ideas ?
>
> Jonathan

did you try to start the machine disconnected from your network???
--
Antonio Montagnani
Skype : antoniomontag

Old 12-10-2007, 02:53 PM
"Jim van Wel"

Obviously some machine is still using that ip address. Just ping to that
ip, or do
a arp lookup to see which one (maybe the same machine) to find out!

Greetings,
Jim.