Old 12-10-2007, 06:31 AM
craigni

Default SELinux enforcing, an external ntfs-3g mount, Samba and Fedora 8

Has anyone got Samba working to access an external ntfs-3g mount with SELinux enforcing on Fedora 8? The following is what I've done so far, and my networked XP Pro machines aren't even seeing the Linux box--any ideas?

Many TIA,
Craig

Administration->Samba
Directory Share name Permissions Visibility
/mnt/ntfsdrive ntfsdrive Read/Write Visible

Bottom of my /etc/samba/smb.conf file:

[ntfsdrive]
path = /mnt/ntfsdrive
writeable = yes
; browseable = yes
guest ok = yes

System->SELinux Management->Boolean checked:
samba: Allow samba to run as the domain controller
samba: Export all files on system read-write
samba: Allow samba to export user home directories
samba: Allow samba to modify public files
samba: Allow samba to export NFS volumes
samba: Allow samba to run unconfined scripts

Settings->Firewall
Samba green checked as a trusted service

sudo smbpasswd -a username
sudo /etc/init.d/smb restart
sudo /sbin/chkconfig --level 35 smb on
sudo /sbin/chkconfig --list smb
smb 0ff 1ff 2ff 3n 4ff 5n 6ff

sudo /etc/init.d/smb restart
Shutting down SMB services: [ OK ]
Starting SMB services: [ OK ]

https://fcp.surfsite.org/modules/newbb/viewtopic.php?post_id=225978&topic_id=49129&forum= 10#forumpost225978
If you think, this is spam, please report this to webmaster@fcp.surfsite.org and/or blame craignied@gmail.com.

Old 12-10-2007, 01:33 PM
Craig White

On Mon, 2007-12-10 at 08:31 +0100, craigni wrote:
> Has anyone got Samba working to access an external ntfs-3g mount with SELinux enforcing on Fedora 8? The following is what I've done so far, and my networked XP Pro machines aren't even seeing the Linux box--any ideas?
>
> Many TIA,
> Craig
>
> Administration->Samba
> Directory Share name Permissions Visibility
> /mnt/ntfsdrive ntfsdrive Read/Write Visible
>
> Bottom of my /etc/samba/smb.conf file:
>
> [ntfsdrive]
> path = /mnt/ntfsdrive
> writeable = yes
> ; browseable = yes
> guest ok = yes
>
> System->SELinux Management->Boolean checked:
> samba: Allow samba to run as the domain controller
> samba: Export all files on system read-write
> samba: Allow samba to export user home directories
> samba: Allow samba to modify public files
> samba: Allow samba to export NFS volumes
> samba: Allow samba to run unconfined scripts
>
> Settings->Firewall
> Samba green checked as a trusted service
>
> sudo smbpasswd -a username
> sudo /etc/init.d/smb restart
> sudo /sbin/chkconfig --level 35 smb on
> sudo /sbin/chkconfig --list smb
> smb 0ff 1ff 2ff 3n 4ff 5n 6ff
>
> sudo /etc/init.d/smb restart
> Shutting down SMB services: [ OK ]
> Starting SMB services: [ OK ]
----
If your problem is computers 'seeing' your F8 samba, I understand they separated smb and nmb and must be started / configured separately.

sudo /sbin/chkconfig --levels 2345 nmb on
sudo /sbin/service nmb restart

Craig

Old 12-11-2007, 09:00 AM
craigni

Thanks super, Craig--that was a missing link. Not only can my Windows XP boxes see the Fedora system, they can access my home directory. However, the final piece of the puzzle is driving me nuts. They *cannot* access the ntfs-3g drive. The drive shows, but when I click on it, I get an SELinux AVC Denial, which says SELinux is preventing the samba daemon from serving r/o local files to remote clients, and tells me that I need to turn on the samba_export_all_ro boolean, which I did without success.

I even tried to change the permissions on the ntfs-3g drive to match those of my home directory, eg
cd /mnt
sudo chown -R username extdrive
sudo chgrp -R usergroup extdrive
But weirdness of weirdness, when I ls that drive, all the files are still owned by root root.

Any help in any direction would be massively appreciated,
Thanks,
Craig

https://fcp.surfsite.org/modules/newbb/viewtopic.php?post_id=226397&topic_id=49129&forum= 10#forumpost226397
If you think, this is spam, please report this to webmaster@fcp.surfsite.org and/or blame craignied@gmail.com.