Old 12-10-2007, 04:07 AM
Tom Poe

Default reinstall package after deleting some files

I want to reinstall fresh, after inadvertently deleting some files from
two packages: jacktrip and qjackctl. System still shows rpms present,
so it seemed reasonable to try:

rpm -e jacktrip and then running # yum install *jacktrip*
but,
when I ran:
# rpm -q qjackctl
qjackctl-0.2.22-2.fc6.ccrma
then, rpm -e qjackctl, it balked.
# rpm -e qjackctl

error: Failed dependencies:
qjackctl is needed by (installed)
planetccrma-apps-2007.05.10-1.fc6.ccrma.i386

Do I need to backtrack through all of the apps and dependencies? Is
there an easier way to get yum to reinstall qjackctl as a single package?

Happy Holidays, Tom

Old 12-10-2007, 05:00 AM
"Kam Leo"

On Dec 9, 2007 9:07 PM, Tom Poe <tompoe@fngi.net> wrote:
> I want to reinstall fresh, after inadvertently deleting some files from
> two packages: jacktrip and qjackctl. System still shows rpms present,
> so it seemed reasonable to try:
> rpm -e jacktrip and then running # yum install *jacktrip*
> but,
> when I ran:
> # rpm -q qjackctl
> qjackctl-0.2.22-2.fc6.ccrma
> then, rpm -e qjackctl, it balked.
> # rpm -e qjackctl
> error: Failed dependencies:
> qjackctl is needed by (installed)
> planetccrma-apps-2007.05.10-1.fc6.ccrma.i386
>
> Do I need to backtrack through all of the apps and dependencies? Is
> there an easier way to get yum to reinstall qjackctl as a single package?
> Happy Holidays, Tom

Try using smart or apt-get. Both have a "reinstall" option.

Old 12-10-2007, 05:33 AM
inode0

On Dec 9, 2007 11:07 PM, Tom Poe <tompoe@fngi.net> wrote:
> I want to reinstall fresh, after inadvertently deleting some files from
> two packages: jacktrip and qjackctl. System still shows rpms present,
> so it seemed reasonable to try:
> rpm -e jacktrip and then running # yum install *jacktrip*
> but,
> when I ran:
> # rpm -q qjackctl
> qjackctl-0.2.22-2.fc6.ccrma
> then, rpm -e qjackctl, it balked.
> # rpm -e qjackctl
> error: Failed dependencies:
> qjackctl is needed by (installed)
> planetccrma-apps-2007.05.10-1.fc6.ccrma.i386
>
> Do I need to backtrack through all of the apps and dependencies? Is
> there an easier way to get yum to reinstall qjackctl as a single package?
> Happy Holidays, Tom

Consider whether or not to use the --oldpackage rpm option or one of
its friends when re-installing the rpm in question.

John

Old 12-10-2007, 05:44 AM
Tom Poe

inode0 wrote:

[...]

Thanks for the tips. I tried the rpm --help command, noticed the option
for --replacepkgs and it worked like a charm.

Happy Holidays, Tom