Old 12-10-2007, 03:34 AM
Joe Hahn

Default FC4 -> FC8 upgrade problem with fstab label

I'd like to upgrade my rather dated Fedora Core 4 system to FC8.
However my upgrade attempt is halted by the message:

error mounting hda5 as /disc54
no such device or address
devices in /etc/fstab should be specified by label, not by device name

Any suggestions as to how my fstab should be revised? Below is my fstab:

LABEL=/ / ext3 defaults 1 1
LABEL=/boot /boot ext3 defaults 1 2
none /dev/pts devpts gid=5,mode=620 0 0
none /dev/shm tmpfs defaults 0 0
/dev/hda5 /disc54 ext3 defaults 1 2
#LABEL=/disc54 /disc54 ext3 defaults 1 2
none /proc proc defaults 0 0
none /sys sysfs defaults 0 0
/dev/hda3 swap swap defaults 0 0

Thanks,
JH

Old 12-10-2007, 03:52 AM
Craig White

On Sun, 2007-12-09 at 22:34 -0600, Joe Hahn wrote:
> I'd like to upgrade my rather dated Fedora Core 4 system to FC8.
> However my upgrade attempt is halted by the message:
>
> error mounting hda5 as /disc54
> no such device or address
> devices in /etc/fstab should be specified by label, not by device name
>
> Any suggestions as to how my fstab should be revised? Below is my fstab:
>
> LABEL=/ / ext3 defaults 1 1
> LABEL=/boot /boot ext3 defaults 1 2
> none /dev/pts devpts gid=5,mode=620 0 0
> none /dev/shm tmpfs defaults 0 0
> /dev/hda5 /disc54 ext3 defaults 1 2
> #LABEL=/disc54 /disc54 ext3 defaults 1 2
> none /proc proc defaults 0 0
> none /sys sysfs defaults 0 0
> /dev/hda3 swap swap defaults 0 0
----
one of who things bit you...

partitions must be labeled, looks like your partitions are labeled but I
am including here for completeness...(started Fedora 7)

http://docs.fedoraproject.org/release-notes/f7/en_US/sn-Installer.html#Upgrade-Related-Issues

drives are no longer using /dev/hdX designations, but using /dev/sdX
designations (probably have to edit /etc/fstab and /boot/grub/grub.conf
by booting in 'linux rescue mode' and fixing these files)

http://docs.fedoraproject.org/release-notes/f8/en_US/sn-Installer.html#sn-Changes-in-Anaconda

The latter appears to be your issue

Craig

Old 12-10-2007, 02:08 PM
Aaron Konstam

On Sun, 2007-12-09 at 21:52 -0700, Craig White wrote:
> On Sun, 2007-12-09 at 22:34 -0600, Joe Hahn wrote:
> > I'd like to upgrade my rather dated Fedora Core 4 system to FC8.
> > However my upgrade attempt is halted by the message:
> >
> > error mounting hda5 as /disc54
> > no such device or address
> > devices in /etc/fstab should be specified by label, not by device name
> >
> > Any suggestions as to how my fstab should be revised? Below is my fstab:
> >
> > LABEL=/ / ext3 defaults 1 1
> > LABEL=/boot /boot ext3 defaults 1 2
> > none /dev/pts devpts gid=5,mode=620 0 0
> > none /dev/shm tmpfs defaults 0 0
> > /dev/hda5 /disc54 ext3 defaults 1 2
> > #LABEL=/disc54 /disc54 ext3 defaults 1 2
> > none /proc proc defaults 0 0
> > none /sys sysfs defaults 0 0
> > /dev/hda3 swap swap defaults 0 0
> ----
> one of who things bit you...
>
> partitions must be labeled, looks like your partitions are labeled but I
> am including here for completeness...(started Fedora 7)
/dev/hda5 is not labelled and that is causing the error he sees. hdx vs
sdx is irrelevant if he uses labels.
tune2fs will do the labeling.