Old 12-09-2007, 09:03 PM
John Summerfield

Default Maximum LVM size Q?

Gene Heskett wrote:

And as an aside, can F8 boot from a sata drive tied to an offboard interface
now?

I expect that depends on whether the BIOS sees it.

--

Cheers
John

-- spambait
-- Advice
http://webfoot.com/advice/email.top.php
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/555375

You cannot reply off-list:-)

Old 12-10-2007, 02:42 AM
Gene Heskett

On Sunday 09 December 2007, John Summerfield wrote:
>Gene Heskett wrote:
>> Greetings;
>>
>> I've stumbled through the man page, and I've read the /etc/lvm/lvm.conf
>> file looking for clues and have come up pretty much as dumb as when I
>> started.
>>
>> I just bought a SATA controller & a 400GB deathstar, with the intention of
>> putting F8 on it, using about 250 megs for an ext3 boot partition, 20GB
>> each in ext3 for /home, /opt & /root, and the rest in the lvm2 filesystem.
>> That will mean something over 300GB.
>>
>> Is this beyond whatever size limitations the lvm2 filesystem can handle?
>
>No.
>ext3 tops at 8 terabytes or 16, depending on which version (and maybe
>depending on block size). lvm goes bigger, but I don't recall how much
>bigger. Big enough for ext4 I suspect.
>
>ext3 addresses blocks, and its limit is what it can address with 32 bits.

Thanks John, that is one less worry for me. 'twould be nice though if those
limits, or lack of them, were documented such as to be more easily found.

--
Cheers, Gene
-Ed Howdershelt (Author)

Old 12-10-2007, 02:44 AM
Gene Heskett

On Sunday 09 December 2007, John Summerfield wrote:
>Gene Heskett wrote:
>> And as an aside, can F8 boot from a sata drive tied to an offboard
>> interface now?
>
>I expect that depends on whether the BIOS sees it.

That sounds reasonable, and its probably checkable just by plugging in the
card. Thanks again, John.

--
Cheers, Gene
-Ed Howdershelt (Author)

Old 12-10-2007, 10:31 AM
John Summerfield

Gene Heskett wrote:

ext3 addresses blocks, and its limit is what it can address with 32 bits.

Thanks John, that is one less worry for me. 'twould be nice though if those
limits, or lack of them, were documented such as to be more easily found.

I just read better lists:-) I think this was on nahant recently. It may
well be in the RHEL documentation, I've not read it or its equivalent
for some years, and I would expect to find it in a Fedora wiki.