Old 12-09-2007, 08:48 PM
Gene Heskett

Default Maximum LVM size Q?

Greetings;

I've stumbled through the man page, and I've read the /etc/lvm/lvm.conf file
looking for clues and have come up pretty much as dumb as when I started.

I just bought a SATA controller & a 400GB deathstar, with the intention of
putting F8 on it, using about 250 megs for an ext3 boot partition, 20GB each
in ext3 for /home, /opt & /root, and the rest in the lvm2 filesystem. That
will mean something over 300GB.

Is this beyond whatever size limitations the lvm2 filesystem can handle?

And as an aside, can F8 boot from a sata drive tied to an offboard interface
now?

--
Cheers, Gene
-Ed Howdershelt (Author)

Inara: "I didn't mean petty."

Mal: "What did you mean?"

Inara: "Suo-shee?"

Mal: "That's Chinese for petty."
--Episode #11, "Trash"

Old 12-09-2007, 08:57 PM
John Summerfield

Gene Heskett wrote:

Greetings;

I've stumbled through the man page, and I've read the /etc/lvm/lvm.conf file
looking for clues and have come up pretty much as dumb as when I started.

I just bought a SATA controller & a 400GB deathstar, with the intention of
putting F8 on it, using about 250 megs for an ext3 boot partition, 20GB each
in ext3 for /home, /opt & /root, and the rest in the lvm2 filesystem. That
will mean something over 300GB.

Is this beyond whatever size limitations the lvm2 filesystem can handle?

No.
ext3 tops at 8 terabytes or 16, depending on which version (and maybe
depending on block size). lvm goes bigger, but I don't recall how much
bigger. Big enough for ext4 I suspect.

ext3 addresses blocks, and its limit is what it can address with 32 bits.

--

Cheers
John

-- spambait
-- Advice
http://webfoot.com/advice/email.top.php
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/555375

You cannot reply off-list:-)

Old 12-09-2007, 08:58 PM
"Ashley M. Kirchner"

Gene Heskett wrote:

Is this beyond whatever size limitations the lvm2 filesystem can handle?

Not to my knowledge:

[9] 14:54:54 <kirash@bigbertha:~> sudo lvdisplay
--- Logical volume ---
LV Name /dev/VolGroup00/LogVol00
VG Name VolGroup00
LV UUID y23Nho-vmLs-Kjqq-vkvo-Q7Lt-JMEq-NzEfHT
LV Write Access read/write
LV Status available
# open 1
LV Size 1.09 TB
Current LE 35768
Segments 8
Allocation inherit
Read ahead sectors 0
Block device 253:0

And as an aside, can F8 boot from a sata drive tied to an offboard interface
now?

That, I don't know... Sorry.