-   -   cups & ppd file question (http://www.linux-archive.org/fedora-user/15907-cups-ppd-file-question.html)

Tom Horsley 12-09-2007 08:32 PM

cups & ppd file question

Just curious: If you modify your printer's .ppd file
(over in /etc/cups/ppd/), do you need to restart the
cups service for the changes to take effect? Or does
it reread the file on every printout anyway? (Or
something in between?)

I just installed a new printer recently and went through
a zillion iterations of the alignmargins script (from
the open printing web site) to get the margins tweaked
and I was wondering if I did more work than I had
to (I was always restarting cups based on general
paranoia :-).

John Summerfield 12-09-2007 08:41 PM

cups & ppd file question

Tom Horsley wrote:

Just curious: If you modify your printer's .ppd file
(over in /etc/cups/ppd/), do you need to restart the
cups service for the changes to take effect? Or does
it reread the file on every printout anyway? (Or
something in between?)

I just installed a new printer recently and went through
a zillion iterations of the alignmargins script (from
the open printing web site) to get the margins tweaked
and I was wondering if I did more work than I had
to (I was always restarting cups based on general
paranoia :-).

man lpadmin
Pay attention to "-P."

--

Cheers
John

-- spambait
-- Advice
http://webfoot.com/advice/email.top.php
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/555375

You cannot reply off-list:-)

Gene Heskett 12-09-2007 08:50 PM

cups & ppd file question

On Sunday 09 December 2007, Tom Horsley wrote:
>Just curious: If you modify your printer's .ppd file
>(over in /etc/cups/ppd/), do you need to restart the
>cups service for the changes to take effect?

Yes.

>Or does
>it reread the file on every printout anyway?

No.

>(Or
>something in between?)
>
>I just installed a new printer recently and went through
>a zillion iterations of the alignmargins script (from
>the open printing web site) to get the margins tweaked
>and I was wondering if I did more work than I had
>to (I was always restarting cups based on general
>paranoia :-).

Anytime you change a config option, restart cups.

--
Cheers, Gene
-Ed Howdershelt (Author)

Tim Waugh 12-10-2007 05:04 PM

cups & ppd file question

On Sun, 2007-12-09 at 16:32 -0500, Tom Horsley wrote:
> Just curious: If you modify your printer's .ppd file
> (over in /etc/cups/ppd/), do you need to restart the
> cups service for the changes to take effect?

No.

> Or does
> it reread the file on every printout anyway?

Yes. PPD files are re-read every time a job is printed.

Tim.
*/

Tim Waugh 12-10-2007 05:07 PM

cups & ppd file question

On Sun, 2007-12-09 at 16:50 -0500, Gene Heskett wrote:
> Anytime you change a config option, restart cups.

The reason it's best to avoid restarting cups is: if cups is restarted
while a long-running print job is in progress, that job will get
re-printed from the beginning.

In general, if you are hand-editing CUPS configuration files, you do
need to restart it but any long-running print jobs may get re-printed.

As an exception, PPD files can be hand-edited without needing to restart
CUPS.

If CUPS configuration has been changed using lpadmin, the CUPS web
interface, or system-config-printer, there is no need to restart CUPS.

Tim.
*/