FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
» Video Reviews

» Linux Archive

Linux-archive is a website aiming to archive linux email lists and to make them easily accessible for linux users/developers.


» Sponsor

» Partners

» Sponsor

Go Back   Linux Archive > Redhat > Fedora User

 
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
 
Old 12-09-2007, 06:41 PM
Craig White
 
Default alfresco integration

Les asked...

> ...and please post a summary if you get this and the
> Staroffice/lucene
> search working.
----
Alfresco setup has been shall I say, interesting.

Obviously the war setup complicates things because it assumes that you
have a working setup of tomcat and can make your way around things...I
didn't and I probably would have saved myself some amount of grief by
getting the integrated tarball.

Also, my setup is on CentOS-5 and not Fedora though I really doubt that
it would have changed things. I'll have to post some notes back to R J
Day for his wiki...

I installed Xvfb (again, remember, this was CentOS-5)
xorg-x11-server-Xvfb-1.1.1-48.26.el5

Anyway, I installed OpenOffice 2.3.1 from download...
OOo_2.3.1_LinuxIntel_install_en-US.tar.gz

This installed OpenOffice.org in /opt which was fine.

I have a SysV startup script for getting things rolling...

# cat /etc/init.d/oo_headless
#!/bin/bash

# Boot open office so that Alfresco can do transforms.
# chkconfig: 2345 55 25
# description: OpenOffice Headless
#
# processname: soffice

# source function library
. /etc/rc.d/init.d/functions

RETVAL=0

VDISPLAY='99'
SOFFICE_PATH='/opt/openoffice.org2.3/program'
SOFFICE_ARGS1="-nofirststartwizard -nologo -headless -display :$VDISPLAY
"
SOFFICE_ARGS2='-accept=socket,host=localhost,port=8100;urp;StarOff ice.ServiceManager'
SOFFICE_PIDFILE=/var/run/soffice.bin.pid

XVFB=/usr/bin/Xvfb
XVFB_ARGS=":$VDISPLAY -screen 0 800x600x8 -fbdir /var/run"
XVFB_PIDFILE=/var/run/xvfb.pid
start_soffice() {
echo -n $"Starting OpenOffice"
$SOFFICE_PATH/soffice $SOFFICE_ARGS1 $SOFFICE_ARGS2 >/dev/null
2>&1 &
[ $? -eq 0 ] && echo_success || echo_failure
pidof soffice.bin > $SOFFICE_PIDFILE
echo
}
start_xvfb() {
echo -n $"Starting Xvfb"
$XVFB $XVFB_ARGS >/dev/null 2>&1 &
[ $? -eq 0 ] && success || failure
pidofproc Xvfb > $XVFB_PIDFILE
echo
}
start() {
start_xvfb
sleep 3
start_soffice
}
stop() {
echo -n $"Stopping OpenOffice"
killproc soffice.bin
echo
echo -n $"Stopping Xvfb"
killproc Xvfb
echo
}
case "$1" in
start)
start
;;
stop)
stop
;;
restart)
stop
start
;;
*)
echo $"Usage: $0 {start|stop|restart}"
esac

This seems to satisfy some things because I can upload Microsoft Word
documents and convert them to ODF (ODT) and to PDF just fine.

I get an error if I try to take a .DOC or ODT file and 'run action' to
convert it to XML...error claims, No transformation exists between
mimetypes application/vnd.oasis.opendocument.text and text/xml but I
suspect that is something that can be fixed in configuration
(somewhere).

If I try to edit a .DOC or .ODT inline, I get binary garbage (perhaps
there is no way around that).

Even though I have installed alfrescoext-0.91.xpi extension into
firefox-1.5.0.12-6.el5.centos I cannot view .DOC or .ODT in a web page,
it only offers to download (yes, I have restarted firefox).

I haven't fooled with Lucene (search) yet but I suspect that your asking
means that you have had issues there too.

Lastly, and this is a biggie and really sucked large amounts of my
time...Authentication setup with LDAP is not very compatible with CIFS
and I have gotten around this by adding NTLM, this causes other issues
(like I can't delete users). I find the reliance upon forums (I can't
find any mail lists or IRC links on their website) to be frustrating to
say the least.

Craig

--
fedora-list mailing list
fedora-list@redhat.com
To unsubscribe: https://www.redhat.com/mailman/listinfo/fedora-list
 
Old 12-09-2007, 10:58 PM
Tim
 
Default alfresco integration

On Sun, 2007-12-09 at 12:41 -0700, Craig White wrote:
> Even though I have installed alfrescoext-0.91.xpi extension into
> firefox-1.5.0.12-6.el5.centos I cannot view .DOC or .ODT in a web
> page, it only offers to download (yes, I have restarted firefox).

That might simply be a server MIME issue. Server MIME descriptions
really are the ultimate description of what something is, not the
filename suffix. It can be hairy trying to subvert that (proper)
process.

Try: lynx --head <address of your file>
e.g. lynx --head http://example.com/files/test.doc

See what content-type description you get from the server. There's a
fair chance it's going to be the default text/plain. It should really
be an accurate description, instead. And your handler should be
expecting an accurate description. Anything else and you're playing pot
luck.

--
(This computer runs FC7, my others run FC4, FC5 & FC6, in case that's
important to the thread.)

Don't send private replies to my address, the mailbox is ignored.
I read messages from the public lists.

--
fedora-list mailing list
fedora-list@redhat.com
To unsubscribe: https://www.redhat.com/mailman/listinfo/fedora-list
 
Old 12-09-2007, 11:39 PM
Craig White
 
Default alfresco integration

On Mon, 2007-12-10 at 10:28 +1030, Tim wrote:
> On Sun, 2007-12-09 at 12:41 -0700, Craig White wrote:
> > Even though I have installed alfrescoext-0.91.xpi extension into
> > firefox-1.5.0.12-6.el5.centos I cannot view .DOC or .ODT in a web
> > page, it only offers to download (yes, I have restarted firefox).
>
> That might simply be a server MIME issue. Server MIME descriptions
> really are the ultimate description of what something is, not the
> filename suffix. It can be hairy trying to subvert that (proper)
> process.
>
> Try: lynx --head <address of your file>
> e.g. lynx --head http://example.com/files/test.doc
>
> See what content-type description you get from the server. There's a
> fair chance it's going to be the default text/plain. It should really
> be an accurate description, instead. And your handler should be
> expecting an accurate description. Anything else and you're playing pot
> luck.
----
I wouldn't know where to begin on tomcat5 on this, but I suspect that
the lack of documentation of this issue from Alfresco suggests that this
isn't the issue.

I can't perform your suggestion without disabling authentication because
it won't allow that to work without signing on first.

Craig

--
fedora-list mailing list
fedora-list@redhat.com
To unsubscribe: https://www.redhat.com/mailman/listinfo/fedora-list
 
Old 12-10-2007, 12:19 AM
Tim
 
Default alfresco integration

Tim:
>> See what content-type description you get from the server. There's a
>> fair chance it's going to be the default text/plain.

Craig White:
> I wouldn't know where to begin on tomcat5 on this, but I suspect that
> the lack of documentation of this issue from Alfresco suggests that
> this isn't the issue.

I wouldn't be too surprised if it were. There's a lot of silly
assumptions made about MIME, servers, and dumb configurations. I don't
mean you, unless you created the tomcat/alfresco packages yourself, but
those that set up these things. In the webserving world, it's quite
typical to serve out garbage in the hope that the client can sort it all
out for itself. Or for a server system to presume that the admin is
going to configure special MIME types, themselves.

It might also depend on what you're meant to see in the browser. A plug
in to show that type of data in the browser window, or the server
pre-converting it to HTML so it just works.

> I can't perform your suggestion without disabling authentication
> because it won't allow that to work without signing on first.

There are some plug-ins for Firefox which allow you to see the HTTP
headers, though I don't know if they're reliable. e.g. Some web
browsers will tell you that something is a particular MIME type because
that's what they *think* it is, not what the server said it was.

Depending on the type of authentication, you can put that into a Lynx
query (you'd have to read its docs to see if it supported a scheme that
your server makes use of).

Or, for the true glutton for punishment, you can try everything by
telnet.

--
(This computer runs FC7, my others run FC4, FC5 & FC6, in case that's
important to the thread.)

Don't send private replies to my address, the mailbox is ignored.
I read messages from the public lists.

--
fedora-list mailing list
fedora-list@redhat.com
To unsubscribe: https://www.redhat.com/mailman/listinfo/fedora-list
 
Old 12-10-2007, 12:40 AM
Craig White
 
Default alfresco integration

On Mon, 2007-12-10 at 11:49 +1030, Tim wrote:
> Tim:
> >> See what content-type description you get from the server. There's a
> >> fair chance it's going to be the default text/plain.
>
> Craig White:
> > I wouldn't know where to begin on tomcat5 on this, but I suspect that
> > the lack of documentation of this issue from Alfresco suggests that
> > this isn't the issue.
>
> I wouldn't be too surprised if it were. There's a lot of silly
> assumptions made about MIME, servers, and dumb configurations. I don't
> mean you, unless you created the tomcat/alfresco packages yourself, but
> those that set up these things. In the webserving world, it's quite
> typical to serve out garbage in the hope that the client can sort it all
> out for itself. Or for a server system to presume that the admin is
> going to configure special MIME types, themselves.
>
> It might also depend on what you're meant to see in the browser. A plug
> in to show that type of data in the browser window, or the server
> pre-converting it to HTML so it just works.
----
considering that they have a 'button/link' that says 'View in Browser'
and have created a firefox extension, suggests that they've considered
all of this.

Craig

--
fedora-list mailing list
fedora-list@redhat.com
To unsubscribe: https://www.redhat.com/mailman/listinfo/fedora-list
 
Old 12-10-2007, 03:38 AM
Craig White
 
Default alfresco integration

On Sun, 2007-12-09 at 12:41 -0700, Craig White wrote:

Replying to self for benefit of Les R J and anyone else tracking...
> Les asked...
>
> > ...and please post a summary if you get this and the
> > Staroffice/lucene
> > search working.

>
> I get an error if I try to take a .DOC or ODT file and 'run action' to
> convert it to XML...error claims, No transformation exists between
> mimetypes application/vnd.oasis.opendocument.text and text/xml but I
> suspect that is something that can be fixed in configuration
> (somewhere).
----
base configuration doesn't do that - will have to figure out something
here because this is a biggie
----
> If I try to edit a .DOC or .ODT inline, I get binary garbage (perhaps
> there is no way around that).
----
Inline editing of TXT/XML/HTML works fine. I suspect that most of the
other formats are just too obtuse for inline editing.
----
> Even though I have installed alfrescoext-0.91.xpi extension into
> firefox-1.5.0.12-6.el5.centos I cannot view .DOC or .ODT in a web page,
> it only offers to download (yes, I have restarted firefox).
----
Extension is for CIFS, not for inline viewing of ODT/ODF/ODS files. Must
be configured (duh - no warnings on this) Tools => Extensions =>
Alfresco, seems likely to set it to /usr/bin/konqueror but I haven't
gotten it to work because of issues still pending because SMB is on
higher ports and haven't figured out how to use iptables to allow
communication with client apps that don't anticipate SMB on un-normal
ports
----
> I haven't fooled with Lucene (search) yet but I suspect that your asking
> means that you have had issues there too.
----
so far, all searching has worked well. Documentation suggests that all
files are indexed upon 'upload'
----
> Lastly, and this is a biggie and really sucked large amounts of my
> time...Authentication setup with LDAP is not very compatible with CIFS
> and I have gotten around this by adding NTLM, this causes other issues
> (like I can't delete users). I find the reliance upon forums (I can't
> find any mail lists or IRC links on their website) to be frustrating to
> say the least.
----
Got full import from LDAP working (sort of slick) so now I can delete
users (but import runs once an hour so a deleted user will be
re-imported if the user still exists in LDAP)

Only issue with LDAP is that newly created users get 'homes' in /Company
Home and not /Company Home/Users Home/ which is sort of painful. Anyone
who figures out where to change this gets my admiration.

Installed WCM (Web Content Management), nice, slick, imports zip files
(not tar/gz) but has kinky method of 'virtual' for preview that I
haven't quite worked out yet.

Craig

--
fedora-list mailing list
fedora-list@redhat.com
To unsubscribe: https://www.redhat.com/mailman/listinfo/fedora-list
 

Thread Tools




All times are GMT. The time now is 09:46 PM.

VBulletin, Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO ©2007, Crawlability, Inc.
Copyright 2007 - 2008, www.linux-archive.org