Old 12-09-2007, 03:41 PM
Richard Shaw

Default F8 - /dev/dvd symlink not created

I just replaced the DVD burner in my server (which I pulled it from my
desktop) and I do not get a /dev/dvd symlink. I installed F8 using a
spare CD drive and HTTP to my desktop.

If I create the link myself all works as expected. Could this be somehow
linked to the pilot-link issue? I removed that package from that
machine since don't need it.

Thanks,
Richard

Old 12-10-2007, 03:16 AM
Richard Shaw

Richard Shaw wrote:
I just replaced the DVD burner in my server (which I pulled it from my
desktop) and I do not get a /dev/dvd symlink. I installed F8 using a
spare CD drive and HTTP to my desktop.

If I create the link myself all works as expected. Could this be
somehow linked to the pilot-link issue? I removed that package from
that machine since don't need it.

Thanks,
Richard

This one is kind of solved. I did some searching in /etc and found the
udev/rules directory. In there I found a file called
70-persistand-cd.rules and took a look. It still had the rules for the
Lite-On CD drive I removed. Luckly I had pulled the DVD writer from
another F8 machine and poked around in the same file and found
everything. The only thing I had to change was the device path since it
was not the same between the two machines.

Follow up question: Which application is supposed to take care of this?
Kudzu? Udev itself?

Thanks,
Richard