FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
» Video Reviews

» Linux Archive

Linux-archive is a website aiming to archive linux email lists and to make them easily accessible for linux users/developers.


» Sponsor

» Partners

» Sponsor

Go Back   Linux Archive > Redhat > Fedora User

 
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
 
Old 12-09-2007, 01:37 PM
Henk Breimer
 
Default How to hide a disk?

Greetings

I have a computer with 3 harddisks
sda with fedora 8
sdb with rawhide
sdc with XP
Grub on sda

Somwhere during the update trail F8 decided that under "computer"
nautilus should show everything.
df omits the sdc disk, but shows sda and sdb

[net@pietro ~]$ df
Filesystem 1K-blocks Used Available Use% Mounted on
/dev/sda3 19840924 3735224 15081560 20% /
/dev/sda2 39674224 4172336 33454004 12% /stuff
/dev/sda5 9920592 699304 8709220 8% /home
/dev/sda1 101086 18276 77591 20% /boot
tmpfs 1018132 12 1018120 1% /dev/shm
/dev/sdb5 9920592 220704 9187820 3% /media/home_d
/dev/sdb2 39674224 180248 37446092 1% /media/stuff_d
/dev/sdc1 20081216 6181000 13900216 31% /media/disk
/dev/sdb1 194442 29190 155213 16% /media/boot_d
/dev/sdc2 20071424 3064656 17006768 16% /media/disk-1
/dev/sdb3 19840924 6010400 12806384 32% /media/__d

fstab remains as it was
[net@pietro ~]$ cat /etc/fstab
LABEL=/1 / ext3 defaults 1 1
LABEL=/stuff1 /stuff ext3 defaults 1 2
LABEL=/home1 /home ext3 defaults 1 2
LABEL=/boot1 /boot ext3 defaults 1 2
tmpfs /dev/shm tmpfs defaults 0 0
devpts /dev/pts devpts gid=5,mode=620 0 0
sysfs /sys sysfs defaults 0 0
proc /proc proc defaults 0 0
LABEL=SWAP-sda6 swap swap defaults 0 0

Hiding with the grub "hide" instruction does not work.

Is there a way to hide harddisks?

Henk

--
fedora-list mailing list
fedora-list@redhat.com
To unsubscribe: https://www.redhat.com/mailman/listinfo/fedora-list
 
Old 12-09-2007, 01:41 PM
Abhishek Rane
 
Default How to hide a disk?

Henk Breimer wrote:

Greetings

I have a computer with 3 harddisks
sda with fedora 8
sdb with rawhide
sdc with XP
Grub on sda

Somwhere during the update trail F8 decided that under "computer"
nautilus should show everything.
df omits the sdc disk, but shows sda and sdb

[net@pietro ~]$ df

Filesystem 1K-blocks Used Available Use% Mounted on
/dev/sda3 19840924 3735224 15081560 20% /
/dev/sda2 39674224 4172336 33454004 12% /stuff
/dev/sda5 9920592 699304 8709220 8% /home
/dev/sda1 101086 18276 77591 20% /boot
tmpfs 1018132 12 1018120 1% /dev/shm
/dev/sdb5 9920592 220704 9187820 3% /media/home_d
/dev/sdb2 39674224 180248 37446092 1% /media/stuff_d
/dev/sdc1 20081216 6181000 13900216 31% /media/disk
/dev/sdb1 194442 29190 155213 16% /media/boot_d
/dev/sdc2 20071424 3064656 17006768 16% /media/disk-1
/dev/sdb3 19840924 6010400 12806384 32% /media/__d

fstab remains as it was
[net@pietro ~]$ cat /etc/fstab
LABEL=/1 / ext3 defaults 1 1
LABEL=/stuff1 /stuff ext3 defaults 1 2
LABEL=/home1 /home ext3 defaults 1 2
LABEL=/boot1 /boot ext3 defaults 1 2
tmpfs /dev/shm tmpfs defaults 0 0
devpts /dev/pts devpts gid=5,mode=620 0 0
sysfs /sys sysfs defaults 0 0
proc /proc proc defaults 0 0
LABEL=SWAP-sda6 swap swap defaults 0 0

Hiding with the grub "hide" instruction does not work.

Is there a way to hide harddisks?

Henk



Try changing the permissions of /etc/fstab ...i haven't tried it

--
fedora-list mailing list
fedora-list@redhat.com
To unsubscribe: https://www.redhat.com/mailman/listinfo/fedora-list
 
Old 12-09-2007, 01:55 PM
Tom Horsley
 
Default How to hide a disk?

On Sun, 09 Dec 2007 20:11:59 +0530
Abhishek Rane <abhishekrane@gmail.com> wrote:

> > Somwhere during the update trail F8 decided that under "computer"
> > nautilus should show everything.

After much googling, I managed to track this down (why anyone thought
that automounting fixed disks which were deliberately left out of
the fstab was a good idea, I leave for a separate debate :-).

You can make HAL refuse to mention fixed disks to anyone by adding
the file /etc/hal/fdi/policy/10-no-fixed-drives.fdi with the following
xml contents:

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?> <!-- -*- SGML -*- -->

<deviceinfo version="0.2">
<device>
<match key="@block.storage_device:storage.hotpluggable" bool="false">
<match key="@block.storage_device:storage.removable" bool="false">
<merge key="volume.ignore" type="bool">true</merge>
</match>
</match>
</device>
</deviceinfo>

This is apparently a standard file in the upstream hal sources, but
fedora 8 decided for whatever reason to remove it.

--
fedora-list mailing list
fedora-list@redhat.com
To unsubscribe: https://www.redhat.com/mailman/listinfo/fedora-list
 
Old 12-09-2007, 02:36 PM
wwp
 
Default How to hide a disk?

Hello Tom,


On Sun, 9 Dec 2007 09:55:48 -0500 Tom Horsley <tom.horsley@att.net> wrote:

> On Sun, 09 Dec 2007 20:11:59 +0530
> Abhishek Rane <abhishekrane@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> > > Somwhere during the update trail F8 decided that under "computer"
> > > nautilus should show everything.
>
> After much googling, I managed to track this down (why anyone thought
> that automounting fixed disks which were deliberately left out of
> the fstab was a good idea, I leave for a separate debate :-).
>
> You can make HAL refuse to mention fixed disks to anyone by adding
> the file /etc/hal/fdi/policy/10-no-fixed-drives.fdi with the following
> xml contents:
>
> <?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?> <!-- -*- SGML -*- -->
>
> <deviceinfo version="0.2">
> <device>
> <match key="@block.storage_device:storage.hotpluggable" bool="false">
> <match key="@block.storage_device:storage.removable" bool="false">
> <merge key="volume.ignore" type="bool">true</merge>
> </match>
> </match>
> </device>
> </deviceinfo>
>
> This is apparently a standard file in the upstream hal sources, but
> fedora 8 decided for whatever reason to remove it.

I suppose this could be set using `hal-set-property`?

Half off-topic, but I've recently found that `hal-disable-polling` can
be useful to avoid auto-mounting some media (like CDs). This also saves
some CPU and desktop latency.


Regards,

--
wwp
--
fedora-list mailing list
fedora-list@redhat.com
To unsubscribe: https://www.redhat.com/mailman/listinfo/fedora-list
 
Old 12-09-2007, 08:15 PM
John Summerfield
 
Default How to hide a disk?

Tom Horsley wrote:


You can make HAL refuse to mention fixed disks to anyone by adding
the file /etc/hal/fdi/policy/10-no-fixed-drives.fdi with the following
xml contents:

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?> <!-- -*- SGML -*- -->

<deviceinfo version="0.2">
<device>
<match key="@block.storage_device:storage.hotpluggable" bool="false">
<match key="@block.storage_device:storage.removable" bool="false">
<merge key="volume.ignore" type="bool">true</merge>
</match>
</match>
</device>
</deviceinfo>

This is apparently a standard file in the upstream hal sources, but
fedora 8 decided for whatever reason to remove it.


I suggest a bug report; it's far easier to discover how to change the
behaviour if this file is present than if it's not.





--

Cheers
John

-- spambait
1aaaaaaa@coco.merseine.nu Z1aaaaaaa@coco.merseine.nu
-- Advice
http://webfoot.com/advice/email.top.php
http://www.catb.org/~esr/faqs/smart-questions.html
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/555375

You cannot reply off-list:-)

--
fedora-list mailing list
fedora-list@redhat.com
To unsubscribe: https://www.redhat.com/mailman/listinfo/fedora-list
 
Old 12-09-2007, 09:34 PM
Todd Zullinger
 
Default How to hide a disk?

Tom Horsley wrote:
> This is apparently a standard file in the upstream hal sources, but
> fedora 8 decided for whatever reason to remove it.

I'll be damned if I can find it in the hal sources. Nor do I see
anything int he hal specfile that patches or excludes it. Do you have
any reference to it being removed from the Fedora packages?

I find the change from F7 annoying, but I thought it was due to the
removal of 99-redhat-storage-policy-fixed-drives.fdi, which had
previously hidden all fixed disks (a policy that many people
complained about). Now that F8 using Policy Kit, this file is no
longer included. The hal changelog mentions this:

* Tue Jul 31 2007 - David Zeuthen <davidz@redhat.com> - 0.5.10-0.git20070731%{?dist}
[...]
- Drop 99-redhat-storage-policy-fixed-drives.fdi; this is now
controlled by PolicyKit

I added that file back as a temporary work-around, until I learn how
to use PolicyKit or some other way to do this.

--
Todd OpenPGP -> KeyID: 0xBEAF0CE3 | URL: www.pobox.com/~tmz/pgp
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Whenever you find yourself on the side of the majority, it is time to
pause and reflect.
-- Mark Twain

--
fedora-list mailing list
fedora-list@redhat.com
To unsubscribe: https://www.redhat.com/mailman/listinfo/fedora-list
 
Old 12-09-2007, 10:46 PM
Tom Horsley
 
Default How to hide a disk?

On Sun, 9 Dec 2007 17:34:03 -0500
Todd Zullinger <tmz@pobox.com> wrote:

> > This is apparently a standard file in the upstream hal sources, but
> > fedora 8 decided for whatever reason to remove it.
>
> I'll be damned if I can find it in the hal sources. Nor do I see
> anything int he hal specfile that patches or excludes it. Do you have
> any reference to it being removed from the Fedora packages?
>
> I find the change from F7 annoying, but I thought it was due to the
> removal of 99-redhat-storage-policy-fixed-drives.fdi

Perhaps those are the same files. I'm not sure what all the directory
structure hal searches for things in. I just know the folks on the
hal mailing list who pointed me at the xml said it was a standard
part of hal.

Certainly looking at the xml contents of the fedora 7 file and the
file I added, they seem remarkably similar.

--
fedora-list mailing list
fedora-list@redhat.com
To unsubscribe: https://www.redhat.com/mailman/listinfo/fedora-list
 
Old 12-09-2007, 10:59 PM
Todd Zullinger
 
Default How to hide a disk?

Tom Horsley wrote:
>> I find the change from F7 annoying, but I thought it was due to the
>> removal of 99-redhat-storage-policy-fixed-drives.fdi
>
> Perhaps those are the same files. I'm not sure what all the
> directory structure hal searches for things in. I just know the
> folks on the hal mailing list who pointed me at the xml said it was
> a standard part of hal.
>
> Certainly looking at the xml contents of the fedora 7 file and the
> file I added, they seem remarkably similar.

The files are indeed identical. AFAIK, they weren't a standard part
of the hal tarballs. But I'm not at all an expert on that.

I don't know if there is a way to use PolicyKit to achieve the same
results as adding back the hal rule. That'd be a good thing to learn,
if there are any PolicyKit experts lurking here.

--
Todd OpenPGP -> KeyID: 0xBEAF0CE3 | URL: www.pobox.com/~tmz/pgp
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Happiness is like peeing on yourself. Everyone can see it, but only
you can feel its warmth

--
fedora-list mailing list
fedora-list@redhat.com
To unsubscribe: https://www.redhat.com/mailman/listinfo/fedora-list
 
Old 12-10-2007, 01:26 PM
Henk Breimer
 
Default How to hide a disk?

On Sun, 9 Dec 2007 09:55:48 -0500
Tom Horsley <tom.horsley@att.net> wrote:

> On Sun, 09 Dec 2007 20:11:59 +0530
> Abhishek Rane <abhishekrane@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> > > Somwhere during the update trail F8 decided that under "computer"
> > > nautilus should show everything.
>
> After much googling, I managed to track this down (why anyone thought
> that automounting fixed disks which were deliberately left out of
> the fstab was a good idea, I leave for a separate debate :-).
>
> You can make HAL refuse to mention fixed disks to anyone by adding
> the file /etc/hal/fdi/policy/10-no-fixed-drives.fdi with the following
> xml contents:
>
> <?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?> <!-- -*- SGML -*- -->
>
> <deviceinfo version="0.2">
> <device>
> <match key="@block.storage_device:storage.hotpluggable"
> bool="false"> <match key="@block.storage_device:storage.removable"
> bool="false"> <merge key="volume.ignore" type="bool">true</merge>
> </match>
> </match>
> </device>
> </deviceinfo>
>
> This is apparently a standard file in the upstream hal sources, but
> fedora 8 decided for whatever reason to remove it.
>
>

The above worked for me, thanks.
Henk

--
fedora-list mailing list
fedora-list@redhat.com
To unsubscribe: https://www.redhat.com/mailman/listinfo/fedora-list
 

Thread Tools




All times are GMT. The time now is 01:52 PM.

VBulletin, Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO ©2007, Crawlability, Inc.
Copyright 2007 - 2008, www.linux-archive.org