Old 12-09-2007, 09:15 AM
Nico Sabbi

Default Why are all multimedia producers packages missing?

Trying to install DVDstyler I realized that Fedora lacks
all multimedia packages able to produce content
such as: ffmpeg, mjpegtools, mpgtx, dvdstyler, qdvdauthor, avidemux
and many more, that is a shame.
Is it a deliberate choice?
Mandriva has all of them

Old 12-09-2007, 12:54 PM
David Boles

Old 12-09-2007, 01:24 PM
lostson

On Sunday 09 December 2007 07:54:35 am David Boles wrote:
> Nico Sabbi wrote:
> > Trying to install DVDstyler I realized that Fedora lacks
> > all multimedia packages able to produce content
> > such as: ffmpeg, mjpegtools, mpgtx, dvdstyler, qdvdauthor, avidemux
> > and many more, that is a shame.
> > Is it a deliberate choice?
> > Mandriva has all of them
>
> And another round starts. <sigh>
>

> From Fedora wiki - FAQ
>
> Why doesn't Fedora include support for proprietary formats like MP3 or
> MPEG?
>
> http://tinyurl.com/2gvu5m
> http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/FAQ#head-b04c931c017de3facba9c69207925234df3c
>2232
>

> --
>

> David

Fedora does not come with any proprietary codecs or formats, things like mp3
avi yadda yadda. If you want to use these I would suggest going to here

http://rpm.livna.org/rlowiki/

Getting the Fedora 8 repository Rpm and installing it then adding the things
you need from there. For instance if using rythmbox or Exaile you will want
to do a

yum install gstreamer-plugins-ugly

or if you are using amarok

yum install amarok-extras-nonfree

It is entirely up to you .

--
LostSon

http://www.lostsonsvault.org

Old 12-09-2007, 01:56 PM
Abhishek Rane

lostson wrote:

Trying to install DVDstyler I realized that Fedora lacks
all multimedia packages able to produce content
such as: ffmpeg, mjpegtools, mpgtx, dvdstyler, qdvdauthor, avidemux
and many more, that is a shame.
Is it a deliberate choice?
Mandriva has all of them

And another round starts. <sigh>

From Fedora wiki - FAQ

Why doesn't Fedora include support for proprietary formats like MP3 or
MPEG?

http://tinyurl.com/2gvu5m
http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/FAQ#head-b04c931c017de3facba9c69207925234df3c
2232

--

David

Fedora does not come with any proprietary codecs or formats, things like mp3
avi yadda yadda. If you want to use these I would suggest going to here

http://rpm.livna.org/rlowiki/

Getting the Fedora 8 repository Rpm and installing it then adding the things
you need from there. For instance if using rythmbox or Exaile you will want
to do a

yum install gstreamer-plugins-ugly

or if you are using amarok

yum install amarok-extras-nonfree

It is entirely up to you .

also an addition to the above reply
here is the process how to download and install the livna repo
1)import the gpg keys

sudo <http://www.mjmwired.net/resources/mjm-fedora-f8.html#sudo> rpm --import /etc/pki/rpm-gpg/*

2)Download the repo link <http://rpm.livna.org/livna-release-8.rpm>
3)install the repo >> sudo rpm -ivh http://rpm.livna.org/livna-release-8.rpm
4)get the GPG key sudo rpm --import /etc/pki/rpm-gpg/RPM-GPG-KEY-livna

source :http://www.mjmwired.net/resources/mjm-fedora-f8.html#install

I think you should check out this site
<http://www.mjmwired.net/resources/mjm-fedora-f8.html> first before
installing any codecs randomly...
also this link <http://www.gagme.com/greg/linux/f8-tips.php> might be
helpful

Yes and fedora is completely free and that is what makes it so
special....no copy protected stuff nothing..PURE FOSS PRODUCT..and
inspite of all that the GUI is one of the best i guess
initially even I faced these problems but the links i have given are
enuf to install almost every codec & driver needed ....

Good Luck!