Old 12-09-2007, 06:05 AM
Frank Cox

Default kalarm - week starting day

I use kalarm a lot. You could say that I depend on it to remind me to do
everything -- feeding the fish, special movie screening times, sending out
invoices, you-name-it. It's a dandy program, indeed.

However, it's starting day of the week is always Monday. When you are creating
a new alarm and click on the "At date/time" drop-down, the little calendar that
pops up has Monday in the left-most column.

Is it possible to tell kalarm that the first day of the week is Sunday? That
way the little calendar would match the other calendars that I have (both on
paper and on the computer).

Old 12-09-2007, 07:03 AM
John Summerfield

Frank Cox wrote:

I use kalarm a lot. You could say that I depend on it to remind me to do
everything -- feeding the fish, special movie screening times, sending out
invoices, you-name-it. It's a dandy program, indeed.

However, it's starting day of the week is always Monday. When you are creating
a new alarm and click on the "At date/time" drop-down, the little calendar that
pops up has Monday in the left-most column.

Is it possible to tell kalarm that the first day of the week is Sunday? That
way the little calendar would match the other calendars that I have (both on
paper and on the computer).

I don't use kalarm, but I have used Kontact (or maybe an ancestor).
Kontact has a diary function for recording appointments, and can set
alarms. In its week view, it shows "Sun" as the first day. I thought it
was configurable, but I couldn't see how just now.

--

Cheers
John

-- spambait
-- Advice
http://webfoot.com/advice/email.top.php
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/555375

You cannot reply off-list:-)

Old 12-09-2007, 04:14 PM
Carroll Grigsby

On Sunday 09 December 2007 2:05:13 am Frank Cox wrote:
> I use kalarm a lot. You could say that I depend on it to remind me to do
> everything -- feeding the fish, special movie screening times, sending out
> invoices, you-name-it. It's a dandy program, indeed.
>
> However, it's starting day of the week is always Monday. When you are
> creating a new alarm and click on the "At date/time" drop-down, the little
> calendar that pops up has Monday in the left-most column.
>
> Is it possible to tell kalarm that the first day of the week is Sunday?
> That way the little calendar would match the other calendars that I have
> (both on paper and on the computer).

Frank:
Start at the KDE Control Center. Then pick "Regional and Accessibility",
Country, "Time and Dates" and, finally, "First Day of Week".

-- cmg

Old 12-09-2007, 04:34 PM
Frank Cox

On Sun, 09 Dec 2007 12:14:13 -0500
Carroll Grigsby <cgrigs@earthlink.net> wrote:

> Start at the KDE Control Center. Then pick "Regional and Accessibility",
> Country, "Time and Dates" and, finally, "First Day of Week".

I don't use KDE. I run kalarm on my Gnome desktop.

Is there a text file that I can edit?

Old 12-09-2007, 04:56 PM
Craig White

On Sun, 2007-12-09 at 11:34 -0600, Frank Cox wrote:
> On Sun, 09 Dec 2007 12:14:13 -0500
> Carroll Grigsby <cgrigs@earthlink.net> wrote:
>
> > Start at the KDE Control Center. Then pick "Regional and Accessibility",
> > Country, "Time and Dates" and, finally, "First Day of Week".
>
> I don't use KDE. I run kalarm on my Gnome desktop.
>
> Is there a text file that I can edit?
----
get a terminal as user

type kcontrol

Craig

Old 12-09-2007, 05:49 PM
Frank Cox

On Sun, 09 Dec 2007 10:56:29 -0700
Craig White <craigwhite@azapple.com> wrote:

> get a terminal as user
> type kcontrol

Well, that was interesting.

I didn't have kcontrol on this system, so I had to install kdebase, which
dragged in 5 other dependencies (htdig, xorg-x11-xdm,
fedorainfinity-kdm-theme, kdebase-libs,kde-settings-kdm).

After doing that, I typed kcontrol and went to set the first day of the week.
To my surprise, that setting already said "Sunday".

I checked kalarm and sure enough, the weeks on the calendar start on Sunday.

In the spirit of scientific experimentation, I removed kdebase and those 5
dependencies, and checked kalarm again. The calendar started on Monday again.

The mere fact that I installed kdebase seems to change the kalarm start-of-week
setting. This seems a bit counter-intuitive to me -- if the kde default is
Monday, then it should remain Monday until changed and not just magically
change due to the installation of "more kde".

I wonder if I should file a (very minor) but report against kdebase regarding
this issue.

Old 12-09-2007, 06:02 PM
Craig White

On Sun, 2007-12-09 at 12:49 -0600, Frank Cox wrote:
> On Sun, 09 Dec 2007 10:56:29 -0700
> Craig White <craigwhite@azapple.com> wrote:
>
> > get a terminal as user
> > type kcontrol
>
> Well, that was interesting.
>
> I didn't have kcontrol on this system, so I had to install kdebase, which
> dragged in 5 other dependencies (htdig, xorg-x11-xdm,
> fedorainfinity-kdm-theme, kdebase-libs,kde-settings-kdm).
>
> After doing that, I typed kcontrol and went to set the first day of the week.
> To my surprise, that setting already said "Sunday".
>
> I checked kalarm and sure enough, the weeks on the calendar start on Sunday.
>
> In the spirit of scientific experimentation, I removed kdebase and those 5
> dependencies, and checked kalarm again. The calendar started on Monday again.
>
> The mere fact that I installed kdebase seems to change the kalarm start-of-week
> setting. This seems a bit counter-intuitive to me -- if the kde default is
> Monday, then it should remain Monday until changed and not just magically
> change due to the installation of "more kde".
>
> I wonder if I should file a (very minor) but report against kdebase regarding
> this issue.
----
sure - go ahead but I suspect that Rex will see your e-mail and have a
comment without your filing a bugzilla.

You should be using KDE anyway (it's better than GNOME)

;-)

Craig

Old 12-09-2007, 06:15 PM
"Mikkel L. Ellertson"

Frank Cox wrote:

> Well, that was interesting.
>
> I didn't have kcontrol on this system, so I had to install kdebase, which
> dragged in 5 other dependencies (htdig, xorg-x11-xdm,
> fedorainfinity-kdm-theme, kdebase-libs,kde-settings-kdm).
>
> After doing that, I typed kcontrol and went to set the first day of the week.
> To my surprise, that setting already said "Sunday".
>
> I checked kalarm and sure enough, the weeks on the calendar start on Sunday.
>
> In the spirit of scientific experimentation, I removed kdebase and those 5
> dependencies, and checked kalarm again. The calendar started on Monday again.
>
> The mere fact that I installed kdebase seems to change the kalarm start-of-week
> setting. This seems a bit counter-intuitive to me -- if the kde default is
> Monday, then it should remain Monday until changed and not just magically
> change due to the installation of "more kde".
>
> I wonder if I should file a (very minor) but report against kdebase regarding
> this issue.

I wonder if it is case of your installing kdebase sets some system
defaults that kalarm then uses. When you remove kdebase, the system
defaults are removed, and kalarm reverts to the program defaults. If
you feel like experimenting, re-install kdebase and kcontrol. Then
run kcontrol as your user, and change the first day of the week,
save the change, and then change it back and save it again. Then
remove kdebase and see if your changes stick. I suspect that this
will create a user config file that kalarm will then use.

Mikkel

Old 12-09-2007, 06:50 PM
Claude Jones

On Sun December 9 2007, Frank Cox wrote:
> I wonder if I should file a (very minor) but report against kdebase
> regarding this issue.

yes, those 'but' reports always make for a better read than those critter ones
submit it in triplicate, present it to at least three committees for vetting,
and post it here with at least two contrarian positions on the issue from
opposing sides of the political spectrum

sorry, rainy Sunday

--
Claude Jones
Brunswick, MD, USA

Old 12-09-2007, 08:55 PM
Frank Cox

On Sun, 09 Dec 2007 13:15:41 -0600
"Mikkel L. Ellertson" <mikkel@infinity-ltd.com> wrote:

> If
> you feel like experimenting, re-install kdebase and kcontrol. Then
> run kcontrol as your user, and change the first day of the week,
> save the change, and then change it back and save it again. Then
> remove kdebase and see if your changes stick. I suspect that this
> will create a user config file that kalarm will then use.

I just tried this:

1. Run kcontrol and set the first day of the week to Monday.
2. Apply
3. Set the first day of the week to Sunday
4. Apply
5. yum remove htdig xorg-x11-xdm kde-settings-kdm kdebase-libs
fedorainfinity-kdm-theme kdebase
6. Load kalarm, check the calendar. The first day of the week is Monday.
7. yum install kdebase
8. Load kalarm, check the calendar. The first day of the week is Sunday.

It appears that removing kdebase causes kalarm to return to its apparent
default of Monday, regardless of the custom setting that was previously created
using kcontrol. If kdebase is installed, then the first day of the week
defaults to Sunday.