Old 12-09-2007, 01:14 AM
"Daniel B. Thurman"

Default Missing: /usr/share/sendmail.cf directory and contents?

Seems that installing F8 is missing the necessary /usr/share/sendmail-cf
directory (and contents) in order to rebuild/reconfigure sendmail.cf from
senmail.mc? Is/was this directory something that was manually added
outside of the Fedora installation process?

Thanks!

Checked by AVG Free Edition.

Old 12-09-2007, 01:17 AM
Steve Searle

Around 02:14am on Sunday, December 09, 2007 (UK time), Daniel B. Thurman scrawled:

> Seems that installing F8 is missing the necessary /usr/share/sendmail-cf
> directory (and contents) in order to rebuild/reconfigure sendmail.cf from
> senmail.mc? Is/was this directory something that was manually added
> outside of the Fedora installation process?

Yes. yum install sendmail-cf

Steve

--

A: Because it messes up the order in which people normally read text.
Q: Why is top-posting a bad thing?

02:16:26 up 70 days, 13:12, 1 user, load average: 0.02, 0.02, 0.00

Old 12-09-2007, 12:15 PM
Aaron Konstam

On Sat, 2007-12-08 at 18:14 -0800, Daniel B. Thurman wrote:
> Seems that installing F8 is missing the necessary /usr/share/sendmail-cf
> directory (and contents) in order to rebuild/reconfigure sendmail.cf from
> senmail.mc? Is/was this directory something that was manually added
> outside of the Fedora installation process?
>
> Thanks!
Ok, shoot me for my ignorance but I was unaware that and directory other
that /etc/mail was needed to configure sendmail.cf from sendmail.mc.
The README in /usr/share/sendmail-cf seem to confirm that opinion.
What do the files in /usr/share/sendmail-cf do for the process?

Old 12-09-2007, 12:26 PM
Steve Searle

Around 01:15pm on Sunday, December 09, 2007 (UK time), Aaron Konstam scrawled:

> On Sat, 2007-12-08 at 18:14 -0800, Daniel B. Thurman wrote:
> > Seems that installing F8 is missing the necessary /usr/share/sendmail-cf
> > directory (and contents) in order to rebuild/reconfigure sendmail.cf from
> > senmail.mc? Is/was this directory something that was manually added
> > outside of the Fedora installation process?
> >
> > Thanks!
> Ok, shoot me for my ignorance but I was unaware that and directory other
> that /etc/mail was needed to configure sendmail.cf from sendmail.mc.
> The README in /usr/share/sendmail-cf seem to confirm that opinion.
> What do the files in /usr/share/sendmail-cf do for the process?

Bang :-)

This from the top of sendmail.mc:

dnl #
dnl # This is the sendmail macro config file for m4. If you make changes to
dnl # /etc/mail/sendmail.mc, you will need to regenerate the
dnl # /etc/mail/sendmail.cf file by confirming that the sendmail-cf package is
dnl # installed and then performing a
dnl #
dnl # make -C /etc/mail
dnl #

Steve

--

A: Because it messes up the order in which people normally read text.
Q: Why is top-posting a bad thing?

13:24:53 up 71 days, 21 min, 1 user, load average: 0.17, 0.05, 0.01

Old 12-09-2007, 03:08 PM
"Mikkel L. Ellertson"

Aaron Konstam wrote:
> Ok, shoot me for my ignorance but I was unaware that and directory other
> that /etc/mail was needed to configure sendmail.cf from sendmail.mc.
> The README in /usr/share/sendmail-cf seem to confirm that opinion.
> What do the files in /usr/share/sendmail-cf do for the process?

The files contain the macros that expand the directives in
sendmail.mc into the instructions in sendmail.cf. While not entirely
accurate, you can think of the directives in sendmail.mc as
programming instructions, the files in /usr/share/sendmail-cf as
libraries, and sendmail.mc as the finished program.

Mikkel