Old 12-08-2007, 08:30 PM
Huub

Default audio gone since upgrade to F8

Hi,

I recently upgraded from FC6 to F8 and find my audio is gone. The
speaker symbol is still there but has a cross through it. Any option to
manage sound is gone as well.

lspci gives this for audio, so I know it's there:

00:06.0 Multimedia audio controller: nVidia Corporation nForce3 250Gb
AC'97 Audio Controller (rev a1)

Anyone a clue on how to solve it?

Thanks.

Old 12-08-2007, 08:35 PM
"Lonni J Friedman"

Try running pulseaudio. Also try running alsamixer.

Old 12-09-2007, 03:56 AM
Huub

Lonni J Friedman wrote:

Try running pulseaudio. Also try running alsamixer.

(Why are you top-posting?)

Pulse-audio is running, alsamixer runs fine as well. Clicking on the
speaker-icon tells me that there are no GStreamer plugins found. How do
I correct this?

Old 12-09-2007, 04:04 AM
"Lonni J Friedman"

On 12/8/07, Huub <huubvanniekerk@gmail.com> wrote:
> Lonni J Friedman wrote:
> > Try running pulseaudio. Also try running alsamixer.
>
> (Why are you top-posting?)

Do you always bite the hand that feeds you?

> Pulse-audio is running, alsamixer runs fine as well. Clicking on the
> speaker-icon tells me that there are no GStreamer plugins found. How do
> I correct this?

I'd help, but you seem more interested in attacking those who are
trying to help you. Oh well.

Old 12-09-2007, 05:34 AM
Huub

Do you always bite the hand that feeds you?

Was just a question, because I find it harder to read the answer before
the question.

I'd help, but you seem more interested in attacking those who are
trying to help you. Oh well.

See before...wasn't an attack. And help IS appreciated.

Old 12-09-2007, 03:36 PM
stan

Huub wrote:

Hi,

I recently upgraded from FC6 to F8 and find my audio is gone. The
speaker symbol is still there but has a cross through it. Any option
to manage sound is gone as well.

lspci gives this for audio, so I know it's there:

00:06.0 Multimedia audio controller: nVidia Corporation nForce3 250Gb
AC'97 Audio Controller (rev a1)

Anyone a clue on how to solve it?

Thanks.

Try aplay -lLv to see what alsa thinks is available.

Then aplay -Dplughw:0,0 some.wav to see if you can play directly through
alsa.

I saw problems with esound being automatically enabled in F8 when it was
in rawhide.

esdctl off

I also needed nothing that pulseaudio provided and couldn't get it to
work. I admit I didn't

try very hard. ;-)

yum remove alsa-plugins-pulseaudio

If it works after this you know it is pulseaudio related and can go from
there.
If it comes up with another error you can search yum packages to see if
it is

available

yum list all | grep -i "part_of_packagename" e.g. pulse or alsa, etc.

Old 12-09-2007, 04:14 PM
Huub

Try aplay -lLv to see what alsa thinks is available.

as root:

default:CARD=CK8S
NVidia CK8S, NVidia CK8S
Default Audio Device
front:CARD=CK8S,DEV=0
NVidia CK8S, NVidia CK8S
Front speakers
surround40:CARD=CK8S,DEV=0
NVidia CK8S, NVidia CK8S
surround41:CARD=CK8S,DEV=0
NVidia CK8S, NVidia CK8S
surround50:CARD=CK8S,DEV=0
NVidia CK8S, NVidia CK8S
surround51:CARD=CK8S,DEV=0
NVidia CK8S, NVidia CK8S
null
default:CARD=UART
MPU-401 UART
card 0: CK8S [NVidia CK8S], device 0: Intel ICH [NVidia CK8S]
Subdevices: 1/1
Subdevice #0: subdevice #0
card 0: CK8S [NVidia CK8S], device 2: Intel ICH - IEC958 [NVidia CK8S -
IEC958]

Subdevices: 1/1
Subdevice #0: subdevice #0

Then aplay -Dplughw:0,0 some.wav to see if you can play directly through
alsa.

Yes, that works but only as root.

I saw problems with esound being automatically enabled in F8 when it was
in rawhide.

esdctl off

I also needed nothing that pulseaudio provided and couldn't get it to
work. I admit I didn't

try very hard. ;-)

yum remove alsa-plugins-pulseaudio

If it works after this you know it is pulseaudio related and can go from
there.
If it comes up with another error you can search yum packages to see if
it is

available

yum list all | grep -i "part_of_packagename" e.g. pulse or alsa, etc.

Didn't remove alsa-plugins-pulseaudio yet. Any more suggestions?

Old 12-09-2007, 06:00 PM
Nigel Henry

On Sunday 09 December 2007 18:14, Huub wrote:
> > Try aplay -lLv to see what alsa thinks is available.
>
> as root:
>
> default:CARD=CK8S
> NVidia CK8S, NVidia CK8S
> Default Audio Device
> front:CARD=CK8S,DEV=0
> NVidia CK8S, NVidia CK8S
> Front speakers
> surround40:CARD=CK8S,DEV=0
> NVidia CK8S, NVidia CK8S
> 4.0 Surround output to Front and Rear speakers
> surround41:CARD=CK8S,DEV=0
> NVidia CK8S, NVidia CK8S
> 4.1 Surround output to Front, Rear and Subwoofer speakers
> surround50:CARD=CK8S,DEV=0
> NVidia CK8S, NVidia CK8S
> 5.0 Surround output to Front, Center and Rear speakers
> surround51:CARD=CK8S,DEV=0
> NVidia CK8S, NVidia CK8S
> 5.1 Surround output to Front, Center, Rear and Subwoofer speakers
> null
> Discard all samples (playback) or generate zero samples (capture)
> default:CARD=UART
> MPU-401 UART
> Default Audio Device
> card 0: CK8S [NVidia CK8S], device 0: Intel ICH [NVidia CK8S]
> Subdevices: 1/1
> Subdevice #0: subdevice #0
> card 0: CK8S [NVidia CK8S], device 2: Intel ICH - IEC958 [NVidia CK8S -
> IEC958]
> Subdevices: 1/1
> Subdevice #0: subdevice #0
>
> > Then aplay -Dplughw:0,0 some.wav to see if you can play directly through
> > alsa.
>
> Yes, that works but only as root.
>
> > I saw problems with esound being automatically enabled in F8 when it was
> > in rawhide.
> > esdctl off
> >
> > I also needed nothing that pulseaudio provided and couldn't get it to
> > work. I admit I didn't
> > try very hard. ;-)
> >
> > yum remove alsa-plugins-pulseaudio
> >
> > If it works after this you know it is pulseaudio related and can go from
> > there.
> > If it comes up with another error you can search yum packages to see if
> > it is
> > available
> >
> > yum list all | grep -i "part_of_packagename" e.g. pulse or alsa, etc.
>
> Didn't remove alsa-plugins-pulseaudio yet. Any more suggestions?

I would seriously suggest removing pulseaudio, as many folks have had problems
with it, including myself, whereas sound was working on previous Fedora
versions. You can always reinstall alsa-plugins-pulseaudio once you get the
sound working again.

You don't want to be trying to deal with multiple problems to get the sound
working, and pulseaudio appears to be causing problems for some. As an
example I have a usb midi keyboard, and on most new installs, whether Fedora,
or Debian, and due to the usb being started early in the boot sequence, my
usb midi keyboard is being set as card0. Now the midi keyboard is not a
soundcard, but is being detected as one, and consequently I have no sound.

I've learnt how to deal with this problem by setting indexing options
in /etc/modprobe.conf. Simply switching off the power to the midi keyboard
would have resolved the initial problem, and the Audigy2 soundblaster would
have been set as card0.

The point I'm trying to make is that if you remove pulseaudio out of the
equation, you are just dealing with getting the sound working, and not trying
to get the sound working along with pulseaudio, which may, or may not be
compounding the problem.

2 worth of perhaps nothing.

Nigel.

Old 12-09-2007, 06:09 PM
"Frank Chiulli"

On Dec 9, 2007 9:14 AM, Huub <huubvanniekerk@gmail.com> wrote:
> > Try aplay -lLv to see what alsa thinks is available.
>
> as root:
>
> default:CARD=CK8S
> NVidia CK8S, NVidia CK8S
> Default Audio Device
> front:CARD=CK8S,DEV=0
> NVidia CK8S, NVidia CK8S
> Front speakers
> surround40:CARD=CK8S,DEV=0
> NVidia CK8S, NVidia CK8S
> 4.0 Surround output to Front and Rear speakers
> surround41:CARD=CK8S,DEV=0
> NVidia CK8S, NVidia CK8S
> 4.1 Surround output to Front, Rear and Subwoofer speakers
> surround50:CARD=CK8S,DEV=0
> NVidia CK8S, NVidia CK8S
> 5.0 Surround output to Front, Center and Rear speakers
> surround51:CARD=CK8S,DEV=0
> NVidia CK8S, NVidia CK8S
> 5.1 Surround output to Front, Center, Rear and Subwoofer speakers
> null
> Discard all samples (playback) or generate zero samples (capture)
> default:CARD=UART
> MPU-401 UART
> Default Audio Device
> card 0: CK8S [NVidia CK8S], device 0: Intel ICH [NVidia CK8S]
> Subdevices: 1/1
> Subdevice #0: subdevice #0
> card 0: CK8S [NVidia CK8S], device 2: Intel ICH - IEC958 [NVidia CK8S -
> IEC958]
> Subdevices: 1/1
> Subdevice #0: subdevice #0
>

> > Then aplay -Dplughw:0,0 some.wav to see if you can play directly through
> > alsa.
>
> Yes, that works but only as root.
>

> > I saw problems with esound being automatically enabled in F8 when it was
> > in rawhide.
> > esdctl off
> >
> > I also needed nothing that pulseaudio provided and couldn't get it to
> > work. I admit I didn't
> > try very hard. ;-)
> >
> > yum remove alsa-plugins-pulseaudio
> >
> > If it works after this you know it is pulseaudio related and can go from
> > there.
> > If it comes up with another error you can search yum packages to see if
> > it is
> > available
> >
> > yum list all | grep -i "part_of_packagename" e.g. pulse or alsa, etc.
> >

> Didn't remove alsa-plugins-pulseaudio yet. Any more suggestions?

Sorry but I don't have any answers. I just wanted to let you know
that you're not alone. I have a SoundBlaster Live and I see also the
exact same results as you do. I'm hoping someone comes up with a
solution that I can use also.

Old 12-09-2007, 10:50 PM
stan

Huub wrote:

[...]

Alsa is happy. It is finding the card and setting it up properly.
You have a permissions problem. Aplay should work for any user. Is
SELinux running in enforcing mode?
Somehow the sound setup has been corrupted. I am not sure how to
resolve this. Perhaps someone else can help you.
You might try searching the list as I saw this exactly problem recently
(go to www.gmane.org which archives lists and they

have a search capability)

Good luck.