Old 12-08-2007, 02:28 PM
Robert L Cochran

Default Dell D420 Laptop, pulseaudio, Fedora 8

I also cannot get sound to work on a Dell D420 laptop running Fedora 8
with this audio and codec:

00:1b.0 Audio device: Intel Corporation 82801G (ICH7 Family) High
Definition Audio Controller (rev 01)

Subsystem: Dell Unknown device 01d6
Control: I/O- Mem+ BusMaster+ SpecCycle- MemWINV- VGASnoop-
ParErr- Stepping- SERR+ FastB2B-
<TAbort- <MAbort- >SERR- <PERR-

Latency: 0, Cache Line Size: 64 bytes
Interrupt: pin A routed to IRQ 21
Region 0: Memory at efebc000 (64-bit, non-prefetchable) [size=16K]
Flags: PMEClk- DSI- D1- D2- AuxCurrent=55mA
PME(D0+,D1-,D2-,D3hot+,D3cold+)

Capabilities: [60] Message Signalled Interrupts: Mask- 64bit+
Queue=0/0 Enable-

Address: 0000000000000000 Data: 0000
Capabilities: [70] Express Unknown type IRQ 0
Device: Supported: MaxPayload 128 bytes, PhantFunc 0,
ExtTag-

Device: Latency L0s <64ns, L1 <1us
Device: Errors: Correctable- Non-Fatal- Fatal- Unsupported-
Device: RlxdOrd- ExtTag- PhantFunc- AuxPwr- NoSnoop+
Device: MaxPayload 128 bytes, MaxReadReq 128 bytes
Link: Supported Speed unknown, Width x0, ASPM unknown,
Port 0

Link: Latency L0s <64ns, L1 <1us
Link: ASPM Disabled CommClk- ExtSynch-
Link: Speed unknown, Width x0

Here is the codec:

[rlc@eng3 ~]$ cat /proc/asound/card0/codec#* | egrep 'Codec'
Codec: SigmaTel STAC9200
Codec: Conexant ID 2bfa

Skype test calls refuse on an error message, "unable to capture audio".
This happens even when following the pulseaudio.org suggestions for
running Skype using pasuspender.

Thanks

Bob Cochran
Greenbelt, Maryland, USA

Old 12-08-2007, 02:40 PM
wwp

Hello Robert,

On Sat, 08 Dec 2007 10:28:08 -0500 Robert L Cochran <cochranb@speakeasy.net> wrote:

> I also cannot get sound to work on a Dell D420 laptop running Fedora 8
> with this audio and codec:
>
> 00:1b.0 Audio device: Intel Corporation 82801G (ICH7 Family) High
> Definition Audio Controller (rev 01)
> Subsystem: Dell Unknown device 01d6
> Control: I/O- Mem+ BusMaster+ SpecCycle- MemWINV- VGASnoop-
> ParErr- Stepping- SERR+ FastB2B-
> Capabilities: [60] Message Signalled Interrupts: Mask- 64bit+
> Queue=0/0 Enable-
> Address: 0000000000000000 Data: 0000
> Capabilities: [70] Express Unknown type IRQ 0
> Device: Supported: MaxPayload 128 bytes, PhantFunc 0,
> ExtTag-
> Device: Latency L0s <64ns, L1 <1us
> Device: Errors: Correctable- Non-Fatal- Fatal- Unsupported-
> Device: RlxdOrd- ExtTag- PhantFunc- AuxPwr- NoSnoop+
> Device: MaxPayload 128 bytes, MaxReadReq 128 bytes
> Link: Supported Speed unknown, Width x0, ASPM unknown,
> Port 0
> Link: Latency L0s <64ns, L1 <1us
> Link: ASPM Disabled CommClk- ExtSynch-
> Link: Speed unknown, Width x0
>

> Here is the codec:
>
> [rlc@eng3 ~]$ cat /proc/asound/card0/codec#* | egrep 'Codec'
> Codec: SigmaTel STAC9200
> Codec: Conexant ID 2bfa
>
> Skype test calls refuse on an error message, "unable to capture audio".
> This happens even when following the pulseaudio.org suggestions for
> running Skype using pasuspender.

Did you try disabling pulseaudio-alsa? This becomes quite a common topic
here. After I've installed Fedora 8 on my D810 (SigmaTel STAC9750
codec), sound was working, after next reboot it was not. Following some
advice found here, I did `yum remove pulseaudio-alsa` then made sure my
audio app were using alsa. Works.

wwp