Old 08-29-2008, 01:29 PM
Matthew Nicholson

Default Fedora 9 custom boot cd kernel panic help?

Greetings,

So, at the Univeristy I work at, we've been deploying a fairly basic
Fedora image via Kickstart to a bunch of workstations, all with various
peices of hardware. I have a bootcd I spun up, that is basically the
boot.iso, but with the isolinux.cfg modified to show a nice menu to
select between a couple kcikstart options. The kickstart files are on a
server, so the bootcd doesn't have to change much, if ever, as the
install changes.

Thus far, its been working like a charm, and both the 32 and 64 bootcds
have booted and installed every system I've needed, but one. This is a
32bit system (64 bit refuses to boot, which is correct). It kernel
panics right after starting to boot, long before it bring up the
networking to try to grab the kickstart file.

Now, the thing is, this system is already running a linux OS, Scientific
Linux (4, I think), which is a re-spin of RHEL. So, i know its not some
basic hardware incompatibility, or some chipset that simply "doesn't
work with linux".

So, any hints/tips as to how to troubleshoot this? Is there some easy
way to get the kernel panic "log", even though the boot never completes?
As I said, this very same cd boots plenty of other systems, and its
almost identical to the boot.iso shipped by Fedora, so I'm essentially
scratching my head right now. Any help would be much appreciated.

Matt Nicholson

Old 08-30-2008, 06:05 AM
James Wilkinson

Matthew Nicholson wrote:
> So, any hints/tips as to how to troubleshoot this? Is there some easy
> way to get the kernel panic "log", even though the boot never completes?
> As I said, this very same cd boots plenty of other systems, and its
> almost identical to the boot.iso shipped by Fedora, so I'm essentially
> scratching my head right now. Any help would be much appreciated.

Well, an obvious starting point is to edit the kernel parameters at boot
time (for example, when booting a Fedora live CD), and remove “quiet”
and “rhgb” from the kernel parameters.

With the Fedora live CD, press any key to get at the boot menu (when it
says “Automatic boot in n seconds”), and then “tab” to edit the “Boot”
kernel options.

And then see where the boot process stops.

More advanced debugging methods involve setting up a serial console.

Hope this helps,

James.
--
E-mail: james@ | It is a mistake to allow any mechanical object to realise
aprilcottage.co.uk | that you are in a hurry.