FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
» Video Reviews

» Linux Archive

Linux-archive is a website aiming to archive linux email lists and to make them easily accessible for linux users/developers.


» Sponsor

» Partners

» Sponsor

Go Back   Linux Archive > Redhat > Fedora User

 
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
 
Old 08-29-2008, 11:12 AM
Anne Wilson
 
Default Ping KDE users

I'm collecting some informal statistics to help the KDE usability group.
Could you please email me off-list with replies to the following questions:

In kickoff (the new-style menu), do you use

The favorites tab
The recently used tab
Neither
Both
Not use kickoff at all

Thanks for your help

Anne
--
fedora-list mailing list
fedora-list@redhat.com
To unsubscribe: https://www.redhat.com/mailman/listinfo/fedora-list
Guidelines: http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Communicate/MailingListGuidelines
 
Old 08-30-2008, 01:29 PM
 
Default Ping KDE users

Anne,

Since the mono guys attempting to taint gnome, I switched to KDE.
I liked KDE long time ago but since the new 4.0 I configured my
desktop to use the old stile because it's easier and you see
everything at once. I
also have configured my daughters's box like this, grandma's and my
wife's. It makes easier for a new user like grandma's since I switched
her from gnome.

regards,



On Fri, Aug 29, 2008 at 4:12 AM, Anne Wilson <cannewilson@googlemail.com> wrote:
> I'm collecting some informal statistics to help the KDE usability group.
> Could you please email me off-list with replies to the following questions:
>
> In kickoff (the new-style menu), do you use
>
> The favorites tab
> The recently used tab
> Neither
> Both
> Not use kickoff at all
>
> Thanks for your help
>
> Anne
>
> --
> fedora-list mailing list
> fedora-list@redhat.com
> To unsubscribe: https://www.redhat.com/mailman/listinfo/fedora-list
> Guidelines: http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Communicate/MailingListGuidelines
>



--
Ed Landaveri
GNU/Linux User 433512
http://counter.li.org
"Free as in Freedom"

--
fedora-list mailing list
fedora-list@redhat.com
To unsubscribe: https://www.redhat.com/mailman/listinfo/fedora-list
Guidelines: http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Communicate/MailingListGuidelines
 
Old 08-30-2008, 02:28 PM
Ian Pilcher
 
Default Ping KDE users

Anne Wilson wrote:
> I'm collecting some informal statistics to help the KDE usability group.
> Could you please email me off-list with replies to the following questions:
>
> In kickoff (the new-style menu), do you use

I suspect you're going to find that most real users of KDE (i.e. people
who use it for real work) are still using KDE 3.5.

--
================================================== ======================
Ian Pilcher arequipeno@gmail.com
================================================== ======================

--
fedora-list mailing list
fedora-list@redhat.com
To unsubscribe: https://www.redhat.com/mailman/listinfo/fedora-list
Guidelines: http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Communicate/MailingListGuidelines
 
Old 08-30-2008, 03:25 PM
Anne Wilson
 
Default Ping KDE users

On Saturday 30 August 2008 15:28:06 Ian Pilcher wrote:
> Anne Wilson wrote:
> > I'm collecting some informal statistics to help the KDE usability group.
> > Could you please email me off-list with replies to the following
> > questions:
> >
> > In kickoff (the new-style menu), do you use
>
> I suspect you're going to find that most real users of KDE (i.e. people
> who use it for real work) are still using KDE 3.5.
>
Not really :-) That was probably true for 4.0, but not for 4.1, or
even4.0.99. The number of answers I've had in just 24 hours proves that we,
the users, can give some valuable feedback very quickly. I made an interim
report which pleased the devs, and promised them a final report tomorrow
evening.

Anne

--
fedora-list mailing list
fedora-list@redhat.com
To unsubscribe: https://www.redhat.com/mailman/listinfo/fedora-list
Guidelines: http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Communicate/MailingListGuidelines
 
Old 08-30-2008, 04:25 PM
kwhiskerz
 
Default Ping KDE users

Favourites: all the time
Recently Used: barely at all, but have used

I use kickoff as the primary, almost sole, way of starting applications.

--
fedora-list mailing list
fedora-list@redhat.com
To unsubscribe: https://www.redhat.com/mailman/listinfo/fedora-list
Guidelines: http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Communicate/MailingListGuidelines
 
Old 08-30-2008, 04:26 PM
Armin
 
Default Ping KDE users

On Saturday 30 August 2008 12:25:12 Anne Wilson wrote:
> On Saturday 30 August 2008 15:28:06 Ian Pilcher wrote:
> > Anne Wilson wrote:
> > > I'm collecting some informal statistics to help the KDE usability
> > > group. Could you please email me off-list with replies to the
following
> > > questions:
> > >
> > > In kickoff (the new-style menu), do you use
> >
> > I suspect you're going to find that most real users of KDE (i.e.
people
> > who use it for real work) are still using KDE 3.5.
>
> Not really :-) That was probably true for 4.0, but not for 4.1, or
> even4.0.99. The number of answers I've had in just 24 hours proves
that
> we, the users, can give some valuable feedback very quickly. I made
an
> interim report which pleased the devs, and promised them a final
report
> tomorrow evening.
>
> Anne
Could you tell us about the report a little bit?

--
Armin

--
fedora-list mailing list
fedora-list@redhat.com
To unsubscribe: https://www.redhat.com/mailman/listinfo/fedora-list
Guidelines: http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Communicate/MailingListGuidelines
 
Old 08-30-2008, 04:33 PM
Dave Feustel
 
Default Ping KDE users

On Sat, Aug 30, 2008 at 04:25:12PM +0100, Anne Wilson wrote:
> On Saturday 30 August 2008 15:28:06 Ian Pilcher wrote:
> > Anne Wilson wrote:
> > > I'm collecting some informal statistics to help the KDE usability group.
> > > Could you please email me off-list with replies to the following
> > > questions:
> > >
> > > In kickoff (the new-style menu), do you use
> >
> > I suspect you're going to find that most real users of KDE (i.e. people
> > who use it for real work) are still using KDE 3.5.
> >
> Not really :-) That was probably true for 4.0, but not for 4.1, or
> even4.0.99. The number of answers I've had in just 24 hours proves that we,
> the users, can give some valuable feedback very quickly. I made an interim
> report which pleased the devs, and promised them a final report tomorrow
> evening.
>
> Anne
>

As a long-time user of kde who has just started using kde 4.1, I'm very
happy with the changes made to Konqueror. Gwenview is a big improvement
over kview too.

--
fedora-list mailing list
fedora-list@redhat.com
To unsubscribe: https://www.redhat.com/mailman/listinfo/fedora-list
Guidelines: http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Communicate/MailingListGuidelines
 
Old 08-30-2008, 05:12 PM
Anne Wilson
 
Default Ping KDE users

On Saturday 30 August 2008 17:26:58 Armin wrote:
>
> Could you tell us about the report a little bit?
>
It's very informal. The KDE usability list were discussing whether it would
be a good idea to merge the Favorites and Recently Used tabs, amongst other
things. They said it was difficult to make any sensible decisions, because
they had no way of knowing just how people were using the tabs. I asked if
it would help if I got some informal statistics based on several of the
mailing lists I read, and they jumped at the chance. I've got 56 replies so
far. I'd like a few more, if possible. The more replies we get and the more
likely it is that the results are representative.

If people are interested I'll post the results when I close the poll tomorrow
evening. I've found it much more interesting than I expected. I thought it
would simply be a split between those that like kickoff and those that like
classic menu, but there have been many comments, some of which may, in the
long run, affect decisions. May, I said. I'm not promising anything. I
have no influence. I just help out where I can.

Anne

--
fedora-list mailing list
fedora-list@redhat.com
To unsubscribe: https://www.redhat.com/mailman/listinfo/fedora-list
Guidelines: http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Communicate/MailingListGuidelines
 
Old 08-30-2008, 05:17 PM
Anthony Messina
 
Default Ping KDE users

On Saturday 30 August 2008 12:12:03 pm Anne Wilson wrote:
> It's very informal. *The KDE usability list were discussing whether it
> would be a good idea to merge the Favorites and Recently Used tabs, amongst

please don't merge them. i'd like to keep about 20 things on favorites and
merging the two would cause scrolling even on this 19" 1280x1024monitor

> other things. *They said it was difficult to make any sensible decisions,
> because they had no way of knowing just how people were using the tabs. *I
> asked if it would help if I got some informal statistics based on several
> of the mailing lists I read, and they jumped at the chance. *I've got 56
> replies so far. *I'd like a few more, if possible. *The more replies we get
> and the more likely it is that the results are representative.
>
> If people are interested I'll post the results when I close the poll
> tomorrow evening. *I've found it much more interesting than I expected. *I

i'd love to see the results.

> thought it would simply be a split between those that like kickoff and
> those that like classic menu, but there have been many comments, some of
> which may, in the long run, affect decisions. *May, I said. *I'm not
> promising anything. *I have no influence. *I just help out where I can.

kickoff was different, at first, but once you figure how to navigate it, it's
pretty quick.

--
Anthony - http://messinet.com - http://messinet.com/~amessina/gallery
8F89 5E72 8DF0 BCF0 10BE 9967 92DC 35DC B001 4A4E
--
fedora-list mailing list
fedora-list@redhat.com
To unsubscribe: https://www.redhat.com/mailman/listinfo/fedora-list
Guidelines: http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Communicate/MailingListGuidelines
 
Old 08-30-2008, 06:32 PM
"Armin Moradi"
 
Default Ping KDE users

On Sat, Aug 30, 2008 at 3:12 PM, Anne Wilson <cannewilson@googlemail.com> wrote:

On Saturday 30 August 2008 17:26:58 Armin wrote:

>

> Could you tell us about the report a little bit?

>

It's very informal. *The KDE usability list were discussing whether it would

be a good idea to merge the Favorites and Recently Used tabs, amongst other

things. *They said it was difficult to make any sensible decisions, because

they had no way of knowing just how people were using the tabs. *I asked if

it would help if I got some informal statistics based on several of the

mailing lists I read, and they jumped at the chance. *I've got 56 replies so

far. *I'd like a few more, if possible. *The more replies we get and the more

likely it is that the results are representative.



If people are interested I'll post the results when I close the poll tomorrow

evening. *I've found it much more interesting than I expected. *I thought it

would simply be a split between those that like kickoff and those that like

classic menu, but there have been many comments, some of which may, in the

long run, affect decisions. *May, I said. *I'm not promising anything. *I

have no influence. *I just help out where I can.



Anne
I would really like to see the results

--
Armin
--
fedora-list mailing list
fedora-list@redhat.com
To unsubscribe: https://www.redhat.com/mailman/listinfo/fedora-list
Guidelines: http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Communicate/MailingListGuidelines
 

Thread Tools




All times are GMT. The time now is 07:39 AM.

VBulletin, Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO ©2007, Crawlability, Inc.
Copyright 2007 - 2008, www.linux-archive.org