Old 08-29-2008, 06:12 AM
Craig White

Default Why does smbpasswd not work for some users?

On Fri, 2008-08-29 at 10:04 +0100, Bob Latham wrote:
> Hi Everyone,
>
> Using Fedora8.
>
> I find some users I create have no problem having their smb passwords
> changed using smbpasswd. Others simply don't work and I get the error
> message "Failed to modify password entry for user <whatever>".
>
> What are the possible causes for this, and could you point me at a method
> of fixing it please?
>
> I remember from a fiddle I had with Linux some years ago that I used to
> have to copy the OS user passwords to SMB passwords using a method like
> this...
>
> cat /etc/passwd | mksmbpasswd.sh > /etc/samba/smbpasswd
>
> Is this procedure still required?
----
No way...and I don't recall when that ever would have worked.

users changing their password from command line smbpasswd, I've never
seen that fail. It makes no sense that it would fail.

Craig

Old 08-29-2008, 09:04 AM
Bob Latham

Hi Everyone,

Using Fedora8.

I find some users I create have no problem having their smb passwords
changed using smbpasswd. Others simply don't work and I get the error
message "Failed to modify password entry for user <whatever>".

What are the possible causes for this, and could you point me at a method
of fixing it please?

I remember from a fiddle I had with Linux some years ago that I used to
have to copy the OS user passwords to SMB passwords using a method like
this...

cat /etc/passwd | mksmbpasswd.sh > /etc/samba/smbpasswd

Is this procedure still required?

Thanks everyone for your help and patience. I know novices are a PITA.

Cheers,

Bob.

Old 08-29-2008, 01:40 PM
Bob Latham

In article <1219990339.2949.1.camel@lin-workstation.azapple.com>,
Craig White <craigwhite@azapple.com> wrote:
> On Fri, 2008-08-29 at 10:04 +0100, Bob Latham wrote:
> > Hi Everyone,
> >
> > Using Fedora8.
> >
> > I find some users I create have no problem having their smb passwords
> > changed using smbpasswd. Others simply don't work and I get the error
> > message "Failed to modify password entry for user <whatever>".
> >
> > What are the possible causes for this, and could you point me at a
> > method of fixing it please?
> >
> > I remember from a fiddle I had with Linux some years ago that I used
> > to have to copy the OS user passwords to SMB passwords using a method
> > like this...
> >
> > cat /etc/passwd | mksmbpasswd.sh > /etc/samba/smbpasswd
> >
> > Is this procedure still required?

> ---- No way...and I don't recall when that ever would have worked.

> users changing their password from command line smbpasswd, I've never
> seen that fail. It makes no sense that it would fail.

Hi Craig,

Thanks for the help.

So I should never need to do this?

Okay, so how does Samba authenticate users (no other server) is it with
the smbpasswd file? If so how does it get its info?

In stupidity and desperation I've managed to break my smbpasswd file. Now
the command smbpasswd -a <name> doesn't function at all. Is there anyway
to repair it? Or get a default copy?

The amazing thing is, the samba shares still work after a reboot with no
smbpasswd file. I'm so confused, I think i've got my head around how it
works and then something comes along and proves I had it wrong again.

I only want to set up samba shares. <sob>

Cheers,

Bob.

Old 08-29-2008, 01:54 PM
Craig White

On Fri, 2008-08-29 at 14:40 +0100, Bob Latham wrote:
> In article <1219990339.2949.1.camel@lin-workstation.azapple.com>,
> Craig White <craigwhite@azapple.com> wrote:
> > On Fri, 2008-08-29 at 10:04 +0100, Bob Latham wrote:
> > > Hi Everyone,
> > >
> > > Using Fedora8.
> > >
> > > I find some users I create have no problem having their smb passwords
> > > changed using smbpasswd. Others simply don't work and I get the error
> > > message "Failed to modify password entry for user <whatever>".
> > >
> > > What are the possible causes for this, and could you point me at a
> > > method of fixing it please?
> > >
> > > I remember from a fiddle I had with Linux some years ago that I used
> > > to have to copy the OS user passwords to SMB passwords using a method
> > > like this...
> > >
> > > cat /etc/passwd | mksmbpasswd.sh > /etc/samba/smbpasswd
> > >
> > > Is this procedure still required?
>
> > ---- No way...and I don't recall when that ever would have worked.
>
> > users changing their password from command line smbpasswd, I've never
> > seen that fail. It makes no sense that it would fail.
>
> Hi Craig,
>
> Thanks for the help.
>
> So I should never need to do this?
>
> Okay, so how does Samba authenticate users (no other server) is it with
> the smbpasswd file? If so how does it get its info?
>
> In stupidity and desperation I've managed to break my smbpasswd file. Now
> the command smbpasswd -a <name> doesn't function at all. Is there anyway
> to repair it? Or get a default copy?
----
not that I am aware of...backup is the method used to protect yourself
----

> The amazing thing is, the samba shares still work after a reboot with no
> smbpasswd file. I'm so confused, I think i've got my head around how it
> works and then something comes along and proves I had it wrong again.
>
> I only want to set up samba shares. <sob>
----
I'm not sure that Fedora 9 uses an smbpasswd passdb by default. What is
output (as root) of command...
testparm -s |grep passdb

?

Craig

Old 08-29-2008, 02:25 PM
Bob Latham

In article <1220018091.2949.4.camel@lin-workstation.azapple.com>,
Craig White <craigwhite@azapple.com> wrote:
> On Fri, 2008-08-29 at 14:40 +0100, Bob Latham wrote:
> > In article <1219990339.2949.1.camel@lin-workstation.azapple.com>,
> > Craig White <craigwhite@azapple.com> wrote:

> > > ---- No way...and I don't recall when that ever would have worked.
> >
> > > users changing their password from command line smbpasswd, I've
> > > never seen that fail. It makes no sense that it would fail.
> >
> > Hi Craig,
> >
> > Thanks for the help.
> >
> > So I should never need to do this?
> >
> > Okay, so how does Samba authenticate users (no other server) is it
> > with the smbpasswd file? If so how does it get its info?
> >
> > In stupidity and desperation I've managed to break my smbpasswd file.
> > Now the command smbpasswd -a <name> doesn't function at all. Is there
> > anyway to repair it? Or get a default copy?

> ---- not that I am aware of...backup is the method used to protect
> yourself ----

Bugger!

> > The amazing thing is, the samba shares still work after a reboot with
> > no smbpasswd file. I'm so confused, I think i've got my head around
> > how it works and then something comes along and proves I had it wrong
> > again.
> >
> > I only want to set up samba shares. <sob>
> ---- I'm not sure that Fedora 9 uses an smbpasswd passdb by default.

I think I'm using Fedora 8. Well, making a dog's breakfast of more like.

> What is output (as root) of command... testparm -s |grep passdb

[root@DarkStar ~]# testparm -s |grep passdb
Processing section "[homes]"
Processing section "[printers]"
Processing section "[Staffshare]"
Processing section "[Studentshare]"
Processing section "[testshare]"
Processing section "[itgroup1]"
Processing section "[manage]"
Processing section "[sg1]"
Processing section "[sg2]"
Loaded services file OK.
Server role: ROLE_STANDALONE
passdb backend = tdbsam
[root@DarkStar ~]#

Cheers,

Bob.

Old 08-29-2008, 04:06 PM
Craig White

On Fri, 2008-08-29 at 15:25 +0100, Bob Latham wrote:
> In article <1220018091.2949.4.camel@lin-workstation.azapple.com>,
> Craig White <craigwhite@azapple.com> wrote:
> > On Fri, 2008-08-29 at 14:40 +0100, Bob Latham wrote:

> > > Hi Craig,
> > >
> > > Thanks for the help.
> > >
> > > So I should never need to do this?
> > >
> > > Okay, so how does Samba authenticate users (no other server) is it
> > > with the smbpasswd file? If so how does it get its info?
> > >
> > > In stupidity and desperation I've managed to break my smbpasswd file.
> > > Now the command smbpasswd -a <name> doesn't function at all. Is there
> > > anyway to repair it? Or get a default copy?
>
> > ---- not that I am aware of...backup is the method used to protect
> > yourself ----
>
> Bugger!
>
> > > The amazing thing is, the samba shares still work after a reboot with
> > > no smbpasswd file. I'm so confused, I think i've got my head around
> > > how it works and then something comes along and proves I had it wrong
> > > again.
> > >
> > > I only want to set up samba shares. <sob>
> > ---- I'm not sure that Fedora 9 uses an smbpasswd passdb by default.
>
> I think I'm using Fedora 8. Well, making a dog's breakfast of more like.
>
> > What is output (as root) of command... testparm -s |grep passdb
>
> [root@DarkStar ~]# testparm -s |grep passdb
> Load smb config files from /etc/samba/smb.conf
> Processing section "[homes]"
> Processing section "[printers]"
> Processing section "[Staffshare]"
> Processing section "[Studentshare]"
> Processing section "[testshare]"
> Processing section "[itgroup1]"
> Processing section "[manage]"
> Processing section "[sg1]"
> Processing section "[sg2]"
> Loaded services file OK.
> Server role: ROLE_STANDALONE
> passdb backend = tdbsam
----
that last line, 'passdb backend = tdbsam' means that you aren't using
smbpasswd for your data store for users which is a good thing since
tdbsam is more substantial than a flat file. Users / passwords are
stored in /var/lib/samba/private/passdb.tdb|secrets.tdb

You might want to up the debugging level to find out if/why it's failing
then try that.

Craig

Old 08-29-2008, 05:29 PM
Bob Latham

On 29 Aug, Craig White <craigwhite@azapple.com> wrote:

[Snip]

> > Processing section "[sg2]" Loaded services file OK.
> > Server role: ROLE_STANDALONE passdb backend = tdbsam

> ---- that last line, 'passdb backend = tdbsam' means that you aren't
> using smbpasswd for your data store for users which is a good thing
> since tdbsam is more substantial than a flat file.

Excellent. Some good news at last.

> Users / passwords are stored in
> /var/lib/samba/private/passdb.tdb|secrets.tdb

> You might want to up the debugging level to find out if/why it's failing
> then try that.

Sounds like a good suggestion, I'll get to google and find out how to do
that, (says he thinking 'I bet that will take some finding').

Thanks Craig.

Cheers,

Bob.

Old 08-29-2008, 07:24 PM
Craig White

On Fri, 2008-08-29 at 18:29 +0100, Bob Latham wrote:
> On 29 Aug, Craig White <craigwhite@azapple.com> wrote:
>
> [Snip]
>
> > > Processing section "[sg2]" Loaded services file OK.
> > > Server role: ROLE_STANDALONE passdb backend = tdbsam
>
> > ---- that last line, 'passdb backend = tdbsam' means that you aren't
> > using smbpasswd for your data store for users which is a good thing
> > since tdbsam is more substantial than a flat file.
>
> Excellent. Some good news at last.
>
> > Users / passwords are stored in
> > /var/lib/samba/private/passdb.tdb|secrets.tdb
>
> > You might want to up the debugging level to find out if/why it's failing
> > then try that.
>
> Sounds like a good suggestion, I'll get to google and find out how to do
> that, (says he thinking 'I bet that will take some finding').
----
edit /etc/samba/smb.conf

add...

log level = 3

(or perhaps higher...up to 10 for more information) check your log files
(they're in /var/log/samba) for the increased activity and clues to any
problems

Craig

Old 08-29-2008, 08:06 PM
Bob Latham

On 29 Aug, Craig White <craigwhite@azapple.com> wrote:

> edit /etc/samba/smb.conf

> add...

> log level = 3

> (or perhaps higher...up to 10 for more information) check your log files
> (they're in /var/log/samba) for the increased activity and clues to any
> problems

Thanks Craig.

I'll give it a whirl on Monday.

Cheers,