Old 08-29-2008, 01:30 AM
Mike McCarty

Default Am I a Bonehead or what? (# rm /dev)

Mike McCarty wrote:

My printer is also gone. I need help rebuilding my /dev directory.
Can anyone help?

Mike
--
p="p=%c%s%c;main(){printf(p,34,p,34);}";main(){pri ntf(p,34,p,34);}
You have found the bank of Larn.

Old 08-29-2008, 01:31 AM
"Mikkel L. Ellertson"

Mike McCarty wrote:
> Mike McCarty wrote:
>
> [deleted /dev]

What version of Fedora? With any version with udev, there is the
device file system mounted on /dev once the system is booted, so as
long as the /dev/directory is there, the device entries should be
created on the fly. I don't remember if Fedora has any entries in
/dev that get covered by the device file system, but if it does,
there are only a few. I think that the initial RAM disk has the
devices needed for booting. It is hard to delete any of the
underlying device entries, because you have to unmount the device
file system before you can delete them, do do it by first booting
from something like a rescue CD.

> I can't mount my external USB drive. My fstab entries are
>
> /dev/sda1 /mnt/usb auto noauto,user,exec 0 0
> /dev/sde1 /mnt/usb auto noauto,user,exec 0 0
>
> Neither one of them will mount.
>
> $ mount /dev/sda1
> mount: special device /dev/sda1 does not exist
>
> Same error for the other one. What am I missing?

Well, for some reason you do not have the device files for SCSI
drive a. They should be created when you plug in the USB drive.

Mikkel

Old 08-29-2008, 01:44 AM
Mike McCarty

Mikkel L. Ellertson wrote:

Mike McCarty wrote:

Mike McCarty wrote:

[deleted /dev]

What version of Fedora? With any version with udev, there is the

No, no udev. This is FC2.

The rest of your commentary seems directed at the presence of
udev, which I don't have.

Sometimes I have to mount it as /dev/sda1 and sometimes as
/dev/sde1, and the latter didn't exist

Based on what I saw there, I did

# mknod -m 660 sde b 8 64

And now

# ls -l sd*
brw-rw---- 1 root named 8, 0 Aug 28 17:30 sda
brw-rw---- 1 root named 8, 16 Aug 28 17:30 sdb
brw-rw---- 1 root named 8, 32 Aug 28 17:30 sdc
brw-rw---- 1 root named 8, 48 Aug 28 17:30 sdd
brw-rw---- 1 root named 8, 64 Aug 28 20:38 sde

But still no joy. Need my printer back, too.

Mike

Old 08-29-2008, 01:57 AM
Mike McCarty

Mikkel L. Ellertson wrote:

Mike McCarty wrote:

Mike McCarty wrote:

[deleted /dev]

What version of Fedora? With any version with udev, there is the

During boot, I see two errors pop up...

/etc/rc5.d/S--... /dev/cpu/0/microcode does not exist
[so microcode updates not being applied]

/dev/sda1 cannot stat (from /etc/fstab)

The messages go by quickly, so I didn't get full text, but
it looks like a significant portion of /dev is still missing.

Interestingly, kudzu is not reporting that my printer is missing.

Mike

Old 08-29-2008, 02:06 AM
Mike McCarty

Mikkel L. Ellertson wrote:

Mike McCarty wrote:

Mike McCarty wrote:

[deleted /dev]

What version of Fedora? With any version with udev, there is the
device file system mounted on /dev once the system is booted, so as
long as the /dev/directory is there, the device entries should be
created on the fly. I don't remember if Fedora has any entries in

Perhaps I just need to execute /dev/MAKEDEV
?

Mike

Old 08-29-2008, 02:12 AM
"Kevin J. Cummings"

Mike McCarty wrote:

Mikkel L. Ellertson wrote:

Mike McCarty wrote:

Mike McCarty wrote:

[deleted /dev]

What version of Fedora? With any version with udev, there is the

No, no udev. This is FC2.

do the following:

rpm -qf /dev

This should tell you the name of the RPM which "owns" dev. You can then
re-install it (if you have it). You can probably find it using
rpm.pbone.net if you have to. I'm pretty sure that the script named
MAKEDEV or MAKEDEVS is what actually generates the devices in /dev/

kjchome@rcn.com
cummings@kjchome.homeip.net
cummings@kjc386.framingham.ma.us

Old 08-29-2008, 02:16 AM
Mike McCarty

Mikkel L. Ellertson wrote:

Mike McCarty wrote:

Mike McCarty wrote:

[deleted /dev]

What version of Fedora? With any version with udev, there is the
device file system mounted on /dev once the system is booted, so as
long as the /dev/directory is there, the device entries should be

/dev/MAKEDEV -> /sbin/MAKEDEV

which does not exist.

Mike

Old 08-29-2008, 02:23 AM
"Kevin J. Cummings"

Mike McCarty wrote:

Mikkel L. Ellertson wrote:

Mike McCarty wrote:

Mike McCarty wrote:

[deleted /dev]

What version of Fedora? With any version with udev, there is the
device file system mounted on /dev once the system is booted, so as
long as the /dev/directory is there, the device entries should be

/dev/MAKEDEV -> /sbin/MAKEDEV

which does not exist.

Re-install it from its RPM. On F9 and F*, its called MAKEDEV. The
particular version for FC2 that I can find is MAKEDEV-3.3.13-1

Install it, and you should be able to run it.

Mike

Old 08-29-2008, 02:28 AM
Mike McCarty

Kevin J. Cummings wrote:

Mike McCarty wrote:

Mikkel L. Ellertson wrote:

Mike McCarty wrote:

Mike McCarty wrote:

[deleted /dev]

What version of Fedora? With any version with udev, there is the

No, no udev. This is FC2.

do the following:

rpm -qf /dev

This should tell you the name of the RPM which "owns" dev. You can then
re-install it (if you have it). You can probably find it using
rpm.pbone.net if you have to. I'm pretty sure that the script named
MAKEDEV or MAKEDEVS is what actually generates the devices in /dev/

Ok. Thanks for the advice!

$ rpm -qf /dev
dev-3.3.13-1
$ locate dev-3.3.13-1
[empty]

rpm.pbone.net turned up

ftp://ftp.muug.mb.ca/mirror/fedoralegacy/fedora/2/os/i386/dev-3.3.13-1.i386.rpm

Which I have downloaded. So now I do

# rpm -i --force

Followed by

# cd /dev
# ./MAKEDEV

Is that right?

Mike

Old 08-29-2008, 03:01 AM
Mike McCarty

Kevin J. Cummings wrote:

Mike McCarty wrote:

Mikkel L. Ellertson wrote:

Mike McCarty wrote:

Mike McCarty wrote:

[deleted /dev]

What version of Fedora? With any version with udev, there is the

No, no udev. This is FC2.

do the following:

rpm -qf /dev

Ok, I got the RPM for /dev and forced the install.
As it was running, my printer came to life and printed
out a previously queued page. Ok.

I can now also mount my external USB hard disc.

I did the same for MAKEDEV.

MAKEDEV is apparently not to be run by hand, as it only
creates one device. The soft link created before was
apparently as a result of the LiveCD having only the one
copy, so I don't expect anything in /sbin, I guess.

Ok, reboot to let MAKEDEV be run, and the microcode
installs fine.

My system seems to be back to "normal".

Thanks very much!

This is definitely one of those "keep a record of how to recover
from" events.

Again, Thank You Very Much for helping me recover from
boneheaded root activities.

Mike